[Official] - Windows 10 TH2 RTM

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Nov 12, 2015.

1. kakarot

kakarot Maha Guru

GPU:
    evga 980ti sc+
    I think that is normal. Does the same for weather, notifications and pretty much everything else until you log in after a restart/boot

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    If I go the Media Creation Tool way, will I just be able to upgrade and keep everything the way it is now? Like files, folders, etc?

I have checked Windows Update and I have not gotten this update yet, and I've even reset Windows Update by deleting all files and folders in Windows>SoftwareDistribution>Download and then run Windows Update again and still nothing (it actually found a new Defender update).

EDIT:

Currently on Build 10240

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yes it like if you where to do upgrade from 7-8 to 10

something do get reset thought, like my video drivers/nic settings got reset, along with some file associations, im sure there other stuff that go reset.

I know some of my reg edit tweaks got reset too

They update is probably stagger so force check for udaptes might not work

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    Done update through Media Creation Tool.

Went perfectly fine. Yeah drivers were reset but they are still the latest ones, most of my gpedit tweaks are still there and have not been reset like "notify to download updates" instead of just doing it automatically.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah drivers where reset but not changed what ever you had installed was either reinstalled or just reset.

On my end all went well, other then I now have boot times increased from the normal 30's ( pc beep to desktop) to 50+ second at random 80% time i getting 50+ sec boot times and 20% of the time i get the normal 30sec boot time.

Hope it just some OS glitch that sorts it self out with an update. as I not gona reinstalled the OS again

6. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Got the update through normal windows update - everything looks fine except now also experiencing longer log in times.

Now I have about a 30 second wait when signing in to account - from login to desktop (when logging in on main account). Used to be about 8 seconds. No idea what it is doing or what is causing this delay.

Someone suggested it might be a GPU (AMD or Nvidia) driver issue. So I did a DDU uninstall, then when logging back into normal windows still had the delay (when no AMD drivers installed). So that is not it.

Yes, hope it is some random $hit that will get corrected in a later bug fix.

7. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    Did several upgrades through the Insider up to this final build and the login times kept improving for me. It takes 2 seconds, 3 at most after I enter the password to be on the working desktop.

8. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    TH2 does seem to get through the booting process smoother. Quicker than 10240.

9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 20.2+
    I have noticed that as well and that's with having disabled "fast-boot" in the power settings.

10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I have hibernate disabled so that feature isn't on here either. Not really much point with an SSD.

11. Bleib

Bleib Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    Windows 10 has some weird behavior. I have a USB3 harddrive attached but I haven't been using it with in any way for hours yet windows still accesses it sometimes as I can hear it spinning up.

And it is not possible to safely remove it, cos it is used by some process.

Never occurred in windows 7

12. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    If you can, use the Resource Monitor to observe what's accessing it. It could be system maintenance.

13. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I'm still not seeing it in WU and forcing through the tool or with an ISO fails every time.

14. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    What happens exactly?

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Yea, there's no reason the ISO method should fail unless you have a bad ISO or your current install is too badly messed up / wrong architecture

16. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It starts out fine, gets to the full purple screen that says it's installing, Hits 100%, says "Your computer will restart in a few moments, crashes to the desktop with a box saying "Something happened Windows 10 installation has failed" with no error code. It never even gets to the screen with the big circle showing progress. It has done it with the Tool, with an ISO from the tool, and with the full 1511-10586 ISO. I have tried all the suggestions like disabling or uninstalling the AV, unplugging everything but the mouse , keyboard, monitor, and primary HDD, disabling all services but the MS ones, nothing helps.

17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    You've tried it within Windows and from a USB drive at startup?

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Hmm... For some reason search suggestions aren't working in Edge after the update no matter what I do.

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Is your current install UEFI?

If yes, make a UEFI USB stick with Rufus and try that

20. Dch48

Dch48 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I won't use a USB drive but I have tried it from DVD and from within Windows. I also tried mounting the ISO in Windows. My BIOS is not UEFI either.

Today I removed the tweaks I had done, like getting colored title bars and removing the shortcut arrows. I fixed the notifications where it was saying that some settings were controlled by my organization and notifications for apps could not be turned on. I fixed the recovery options that were not working because it couldn't find the files. I ran SFC and it found nothing wrong. I then tried the 1511-10586 DVD from within Windows and it still won't work.

I'm giving up. I'll stick with 10240 since it works perfectly and I really don't care about almost all of the changes in 10586. I don't use Cortana or Edge or almost everything else that was changed. It still hasn't shown up in WU either.

Someone said you should make sure virtualization is turned on in the BIOS and I know it isn't so that's the last thing I have to try.