[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 RS3 - Fall Creators Update - Build 16299.15

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    1511 is end of support now, but yea unless you allowed WU to install something before disabling WU I'm not sure how they managed that unless it is already built into the OS from day 1 set as a timebomb, wouldn't surprise me

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I found a nice new bug with my old laptop and this amazing version of 10, if I muck about for 15 minutes disabling and enabling, uninstalling and reinstalling the same wireless card drivers over and over, eventually it will see wireless networks, it will connect to mine and it will work flawlessly

However if I reboot the machine, the whole process has to be started all over again, otherwise it just tells me WiFi is turned off with no way to turn it back on again, not the first laptop I've seen with this problem and this build of 10 either

Tried disabling fast boot too

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    That's the thing, it was disabled.. it's not an issue for me that Microsoft classify software I use as "end of support", windows update was disabled for a reason.

I'm going to have to go through the whole thing again to make sure there is nothing that should not be there..... again.

How funny would it to be if when 7 and 8.1 reach end of support that microsoft force 10 on everyone again via GWX app.... xD

The fun that is Windows 10 *___*

Hey that Wireless card I mentioned to you a while ago has been fixed via Windows update xD

Extraordinary and HK-1 like this.
  4. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Turns out it was VLC 2.2.8 that was the cause for the odd mouse cursor behavior.

Installed the latest 3.0 (rc9) build and it was gone: https://nightlies.videolan.org/build/win64/

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Most likely it was a "security update", part of the cumulatives. I recommend going back to 1507 ltsb or 1607 ltsb and forget about MS induced issues if you want to remain on 10.

HK-1 likes this.
  6. HK-1

HK-1 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580 Power Color
    ^^
    yep you are 100% correct

7. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    So it's possible to regain performance by disabling the meltdown and spetre patch by changing the registry setting?

8. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I don't have answer for you but I noticed InSpectre utility has a disable button for each one, so might make it easier to switch an test.
    Of course you can manually set it in reg, I didn't do either testing, but performance hasn't affected me except for I/O in 4k random I think it was.

PS: I am only patched via MS patch for meltdown as I have i5-3570k/Z77 MB so no bios update.

https://www.grc.com/inspectre.htm

9. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    @mbk1969 I found a new article, that 2 people said to me on reddit they helped them fix the issue.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-start-menu-not-working-windows-10/ (Fix 1 he said)

And the other guy said:

1- Right click on start menu and click on Run. (For those who the start menu does not respond with right click, right click on taskbar - click on Task Manager - from File menu on the left upper corner select Run new task).

2- Write the command regedit and click Enter.

3- Go to path [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WpnUserService].

4- Double click on Start from the right side.

5- Change the value data to 4 then OK.

6- Reboot.

Can u try them? I cant try them because im on RS2.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Fix 1 doen`s solve glitches. Restarting Explorer as well as signing out helps for a short time.
    I will try fix with Safe Boot, but am skeptical.

We already covered this here - no dice. I guess my OS has store apps subsystem somewhat ruined and that causes the glitches - when OS tries to update or fix these apps start menu becomes unresponsive. No big deal, I will wait till next upgrade.

LocoDiceGR likes this.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4074588

February 13, 2018—KB4074588 (OS Build 16299.248)

Improvements and fixes

This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

• Addresses issue where child accounts are able to access InPrivate mode on ARM devices even though their browsing and search history is sent to their parents. This occurs only on Microsoft accounts belonging to children that are managed using the Microsoft Family service and for which parents have enabled activity reporting. This applies to Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer.
    • Addresses issue with docking and undocking Internet Explorer windows.
    • Addresses issue in Internet Explorer where pressing the delete key inserted a new line in input boxes in an application.
    • Addresses issue in Internet Explorer where selected elements wouldn't update under certain circumstances.
    • Addresses issue where some users may have experienced issues logging into some websites when using third-party account credentials in Microsoft Edge.
    • Updates time zone information.
    • Addresses issue with browser Compatibility View settings that occurs during updates.
    • Addresses issue where, in certain hardware configurations, the frame rates of DirectX Games were unintentionally limited to a factor of the display's vertical synchronization.
    • Addresses issue that causes delays when switching keyboard languages using Alt+Shift.
    • Addresses issue where surround sound audio endpoints reverted to stereo after restarting.
    • Improves and reduces conditions where certain Bluetooth keyboards drop keys during reconnection scenarios.
    • Corrects mouse delays for devices that incorrectly report the battery level status.
    • Addresses issue where MMC application snap-ins—such as Services, Local Policy Admin, and Printer Management—fail to run when Windows Defender Application Control (Device Guard) is turned on. The error is "Object doesn't support this property or method".
    • Prevents use of the Pre-production Onesettings endpoint for Windows Setup when test signing is enabled.
    • Addresses issue where installations of Windows Server, version 1709 are not automatically activated using the Automated Virtual Machine Activation (AVMA) feature on Hyper-V hosts that have been activated.
    • Addresses issue with the Auto-register Inbox templates feature for UEV where the Scheduled Task didn't have the proper trigger.
    • Addresses issue where the App-V client didn't read the policy for SyncOnBatteriesEnabled when the policy was set using a Group Policy Object (GPO).
    • Addresses issue where the Supported On field for the Enable App-V Client policy is blank in the Group Policy editor.
    • Addresses issue where the user’s hive data in the registry is not maintained correctly when some App-V packages belong to the connection group.
    • Provides additional logging for administrators to take action, such as picking a proper configuration for their App-V package, when there are multiple configuration files for a single package.
    • Addresses issue with App-V packages that aren't compatible with registry virtualization using kernel containers. To address the issue, we changed the registry virtualization to use the earlier (non-container) method by default. Customers who would like to use the new (kernel container) method for registry virtualization can still switch to it by setting the following registry value to 1:
      • Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AppV\Client\Compatibility
      • Setting: ContainerRegistryEnabled
      • DataType: DWORD
    • Security updates to Microsoft Scripting Engine, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Microsoft Windows Search component, Windows Kernel, Windows Authentication, Device Guard, Common Log File System driver, and the Windows storage and file systems.
    This update will be downloaded and installed automatically from Windows Update. To get the standalone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.

Jackalito, HK-1 and LocoDiceGR like this.
  12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Jackalito likes this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    And this new CU failed to install. First time I see such thing personally.
    But since we do not seek for an easy ways (which would be leave it as it is) I downloaded Media Creation Tool and performed repairing installation. It took more than hour, and despite seeing message "downloading updates" and spending 30 minutes installing those updates resultant version was "OS Build 16299.125" (???). It surprised me, so I downloaded latest CU and succeeded in installing it manually.
    And now most surprising thing - still no Start menu glitches. It is too early to celebrate of course, but...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Jackalito likes this.
  14. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    hmm? Maybe .248 fixed it?

15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Installed fine here. Didn't fix the weird long loading screen without Windows logo though. Here's hoping that 1803 will fix this crap.

16. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    It`s too early to talk about the fix, but to me repair installation is much stronger candidate to healer role. Anyway now we can`t tell for sure, because I have not tried Start menu after re-installation and before CU (it was four in the morning).

17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yes, I had simular issue with a VM 1709 CU, in WU screen it was going in a loop, intializing, downloading, installing but never finished.
    Checked history and it reported fail (don't have error # now), but so I run troubleshooter and clean out the DL folder an try again.
    Same thing, I just DL off the standalone CU 1709 off MSC site and ran it from browser, all worked.
    Thats the first time I think I saw that happen.

I also got install error on my main 1703 system, I set CU to delay cause I just figured there be problems, but I ran WU anyway and it was trying to install a update I already updated 2 times already (Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4023057).

So since I can't leave it with error I remove delay and it updated to CU ok (2018-02 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4074592) and didn't try to give me that update again.

Talking about the updates I notice one out of each interesting, first 1709
    Addresses issue where, in certain hardware configurations, the frame rates of DirectX Games were unintentionally limited to a factor of the display's vertical synchronization.
    Improves performance of Intel processors that have Hardware P-States (HWP) enabled.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    So I could save me several hours of sleep by simply trying CU from Windows Update Catalog (without repair installation)...

19. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yup, I read others had similar problems and DL the CU from MS site and running it fixed it for them.
    Seemed to be hit or miss for many.
    I think I read it from reports on Tenforums.

PS: I always would run troubleshooter/clean DL folder first before trying to use standalone from MSC, just to be on safe side.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I don't see any Tuesday update yet, Im at .125 atm.. Is there a issue with KB again?