[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 RS3 - Fall Creators Update - Build 16299.15

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Sep 16, 2017.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    It's by design and has been like that since RTM. If you read the description it actually says "you can disable real-time protection for a short time, after which it's turned back on again".

Extraordinary's Group Policy method or disabling Defender service are only ways to stop it permanently.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4051963

.98 cumulative update. :)

EDIT: Known issue.

(And there's a workaround available.)

Jackalito and LocoDiceGR like this.
  3. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Im wondering if they even know/trying to fix that whole start menu/taskbar bug.

4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    So far none of issues I'm seeing are fixed. Looks like I'll have to wait till 1803 for them to patch these. I mean, who the hell is even using IE these days?

5. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    People who need it for a compatible plugin, and Satan worshippers.

6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Changing the time zone also wrecks shell experience host and no customizations to Start and night light stick. Broken in both the 2017 versions. Fix it already m'kay.

I gave up on them and went back to 1607 :p

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  7. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    Anyone getting YouTube crashes with Microsoft Edge after this update? Especially YouTube videos that are running at 60 FPS? I just had several recurring crashes when trying to view a YouTube video, and this was the error:

Faulting application name: MicrosoftEdge.exe, version: 11.0.16299.98, time stamp: 0x5a1ab816
    Faulting module name: MMDevApi.dll, version: 10.0.16299.15, time stamp: 0x11b827f2
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x00000000000016d9
    Faulting process id: 0x46c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d36a6e865303b7
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\MicrosoftEdge.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\MMDevApi.dll
    Report Id: 48a58f20-ea03-481f-ba6c-5770a521022e
    Faulting package full name: Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_41.16299.15.0_neutral__8wekyb3d8bbwe
    Faulting package-relative application ID: MicrosoftEdge

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    A quick check shows that the Edge app was updated so chances are they broke something with how that works, if possible I would try without hardware acceleration or at least hardware video playback though I don't know how customizable Edge is with this.
    (Checking the last modified date shows it having been changed to when the update was installed for the C:\WIndows\SystemApps\ and then the Edge app folder in there so something with it was updated even if the changelog isn't saying much about it.)

Youtube is also shifting over to VP9 video playback and some hardware and browser software has issues with this to the extent where Firefox and Chrome even has plugins to go back to x264 or even Flash over HTML5 due to issues with either the browser software or the users hardware in how this is handled though Chrome probably fares better than Firefox in this regard but that could be related to this.

Unfortunately I don't think Microsoft has yet separated Edge from the other sys apps so it'll either be resolved in a upcoming cumulative update such as the December one in around two weeks time or a hotfix if this is a more widespread issue.
    (Whereas I believe Microsoft had mentioned making it so it could be updated separately - and more frequently. - by using the Windows Store function but that's a longer term goal.)

9. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I reported the problem to Microsoft, so hopefully they'll fix it soon. I've been using Edge as my primary browser since the Creators Spring update, and even though I like Chrome, I don't want Google on my desktop as well since I have a Pixel 2 XL android phone.

This was the video that I clicked on which caused Microsoft Edge to crash. It crashed when I clicked on the link which directed me to the YouTube website.

The video automatically defaults to 60 FPS, but I don't know if that's specifically what caused the crash.

10. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC

11. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
  12. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
  13. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    has anyone issues when dragging with the mouse lace (aka left click pressed and tracing a rectangle) in win32 applications? When I drag a rectangle and the mouse pointer goes outside the a draggable area, after releasing it jumps randomly to a border or a corner of the screen .---.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    LocoDiceGR likes this.
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    well he right, 2 build updates year is way to much, and way to often considering bugg they been even months after the release, 1 build update year is doable, but not 2 I dont like doing clean installed and upgrades never work with out some issue or something screwing up

16. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I made a choice that Im not going to do insider builds anymore or 2 times a year upgrades...
    its not even worth it anymore. the added features are bla compared to what they used to add.

plus I cant be doing clean installs 2 times year if the upgrade messes anything up.
    I have way too much software to reinstall...

17. zig11727

zig11727 Active Member

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
  18. mansonfamily

mansonfamily Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    Hi, after Fall CU, windows update and store updates/install apps not working, checking forever. This is happening on two machines : main pc ( updated to v1709, than .64 and .98) and a laptop ( updated to v1709 than .64). I tried all net tutorials, like reset windows update, reset store, troubleshooter, etc . Nothing works. Every time i try something - program, batch,, etc - it is unable to stop windows update service. I must disable it and the program ( ex. Troubleshooter) continues, but after i reenable WU service the result is the same - checking forever. i disabled Avast, Windows firewall, nothing.
    Need some help, don't want to do a clean install. I even performed an "in place" upgrade, but he carried the issues, so roll back. Thanks.

19. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    You cant fix it, its a bug in FCU.

Reinstall RS2 and block updates, like i did.

20. mansonfamily

mansonfamily Member

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming X
    I will lose installed apps ? And if it's a bug, than means microsoft will fix it - in time. No ?