[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 RS3 - Fall Creators Update - Build 16299.15

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Sep 16, 2017.

1. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    .64 patch did nothing to the weird EFS emulation behavior btw: D3D11 games are still launching into a proper EFS after a cold OS boot but on a second launch they run in emulated EFS without any display reset.
    Everyone at MS must be really busy with Paint3D.

Jackalito and Guru01 like this.
  2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    What the f...!?!?!

I just had a notification pop up in Windows that my anti-virus was turned off. On clicking to enable it a window popped up with options to continue using Windows Defender or to install Avast AV. I clicked on the top option to use Defender only to have Defender open with Avast AV embedded into the window. When I click on that it opens the Avast AV window!!!

Why are Microsoft forcing third-party AV software on Windows users? I've always found Defender in conjunction with periodic scans with Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free to be perfectly fine. I do NOT want a third-party AV program as well running constantly in the background! I can't even uninstall it because I'm told I have to wait until it has finished installing... and it's stuck at 16%... :(

*EDIT*
    Could CCleaner have installed this without my approval as I've just updated it to v5.37 but I usually use the Customise option and uncheck the desktop shortcut box?

3. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    They are not, far as I know at least.

Some third party software might have installed it if you didn't notice the installer using a advertisement offer or similar, today's update of CCleaner to 5.37 for example switched the Google bundle to Avast which I almost missed. :)
    (Google has a registry key you can tamper with to avoid ads by setting the date to way in the future.)

EDIT: A compatible Windows 10 AV will also see Defender disabled in favor of the third party solution so that might explain it too, though not what installed said third party solution unless you go through say the prefetch folder or date of files and folders for when Avast installed and try to match those up or similar to track down where it came from, doubt it could install of it's own or via UWP.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Darren Hodgson likes this.
  4. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yeah looks to be CCleaner after seeing your latest update to the post, there's a small checkbox right as the software installer is started that you need to uncheck to get rid of that offer.

Portable mode works as alternative but then you have to unpack and replace the files manually, if you use CCleaner regularly then unless there's a need to immediately update you can also wait one week for the light version to be released, this is identical to the regular version but without adware software bundled in. :)

Also 5.36 and newer install a scheduled emergency updater task that you can delete if you do not want it, runs a daily check otherwise in case they need to release a critical fix for a security exploit or similar, I just found it annoying so I deleted the task but it came back in 5.37 and CCleaner itself won't show the task if you use the software itself to view these so you have to use the Windows task scheduler or delete the task manually from the Windows\System32\Tasks folder I think it would be by default.

Darren Hodgson likes this.

5. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Go try run the updater tool, compatibility assistant says it cannot install, googled and indeed they have removed support due to intel not offering any updates

6. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    seems the classic shell development is being slowed down

"Gaurav wrote:
    Ever since Windows 10 made the OS less customizable and a pain to use, I'v has lost interest in actively developing it due to other important projects and I have lost interest in testing it on Windows 10 so Classic Shell is in maintenance mode. New features and new releases will be very slow or unlikely. Issues with Windows 10 might be because of no testing performed by me on that OS."

lucidus likes this.
  7. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    I just installed 1 month ago the 64-bit build of 1709 version downloaded with the official tool, made the iso bootable from a USB stick and made a clean installation. The only unsupported "recent" intel architecture is Clover Trail (which 32-bit CPUs in four models of early ATOM lines). You should search better. Just because some processors are in EOF support status by intel, which means you will not find any useless INF package installer (which are NOT drivers!) does not mean older CPUs are not supported by Microsoft.
    You can install and run the 32-bit client on any x86-64 bit processors and the 64-bit client on most of x86-64 processors (just some early 64-bit CPUs are excluded).
    Do not trust compatibility assistants, they may fail for several reasons, mostly due wrong drivers or system configuration.
    These are the only requirements you have to care about: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  8. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    On old Intel chipsets the upgrade assistant may fail if there are Intel RST drivers installed from branches earlier than v12 which will result into BSOD while installing.

Alessio1989 and lucidus like this.
  9. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    The tool would not even begin the download

10. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    What The Hell, for the life of me I cannot find the microsoft page I looked at when I was trying to install the upgrade, it's just gone... spooky that ... anyway..

So there are a few things I could do but the guy is happy at the moment so when the time comes maybe it will work now

11. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    I dont know if its stardocks new program groupy or recent windows 10 update. but steam starts really slow now. when I start steam nothing happens. even task manager shows nothing and then almost a minute later steam process starts in task manager.

12. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    Steam runs ok for me but I do have a slow loading issue with fifa 18 and 1 or 2 other games

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Just to reiterate what others have said, I'm a very happy X58/i7 950 user on Windows FCU.

Asus Rampage III Black Edition (X58 chipset)
    i7 950
    18GB DDR3-1600
    Sapphire Nitro R9 390 w/ BP

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah i pretty sure it has something to do with the fact I original deferred 1703 on his system 6 months back and when start poping up again, i deferred it again uncles pc is i5 4430 so his stuff is still supported.

Now my dads pc which is duo core e8500 that was forced to 1703 when i left home for 2 months i surprised it didnt fubar his system seeing of all the updates to 1703 i did only 1 upgrade to it worked correctly which was in VM the other 3 pc i upgrade too it where upgraded and clean installed and all had starmenu issues, i have since left home again, so it will probably be forced to RS3 hope it dont fubar his system, though i dont think i will care if it does. and my personal PC is sitting in my room off for last 2 weeks.

15. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    This could explain a lot. Removing the intel RST driver and relay on windows update OR installing the most recent RST driver compilant for 5 series chipset should fix this. Last version should be 14.x and NOT 15.x IIRC, I tried the v15 which is not officially supported on 5 series chipset but which installs just fine and got tons of issues on a RAID-0.

This could explain a lot. Removin the intel RST driver and relay on windows update OR installing the most recent RST driver compilant for P55 chipset (v 14.x and NOT 15.x IIRC) should fix
    Well, I got Store manifest issues on all system where I made a clean install with the 1709 ISO, had to reinstall the store package via powershell.. Thinks like these totally break the avarege user experience and made people angry.. Bad Satya!

16. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    Talking about Intel chipsets, where do you gurus shop from ?
    Intel has on it's site the 10.1.1.42 that was released at January 2017.
    As I setup a friends machine yesterday I was looking for the latest chipset driver for a Z270 board.
    On manufacturers site there was the same version as with intel's site.
    I couldn't believe that Intel has not released any new drivers from January.
    So I started searching the web and I found some newer versions on Station Drivers website.
    But it was a mess finding the suitable driver and I didn't trust the site for a reason.
    Then I found that :
    https://www.win-raid.com/t895f42-Intel-Chipset-Device-quot-Drivers-quot-INF-files.html
    The installer version I used is updated on 06/11/2017, and the .inf have been finalized by Intel on 08/08/2017 and digitally signed by Microsoft 1 day lateR.
    I installed it without any problems, but on device manager the driver version is the 10.1.1.42.

Then I was lokking for MEI.
    On Intel's site there is version 11.06.1194.
    I checked my personal system and I had version 11.07.10.42 installed.
    Then I found this :
    https://www.win-raid.com/t596f39-Intel-Management-Engine-Drivers-Firmware-amp-System-Tools.html
    and with the manual installation method I installed 11.07.10.45 in my friends system and I also updated mine.

My post might seem partially offtopic.
    But as we talk about intel drivers in the last three pages of the thread, I think that is good to findout if there is a site with the latest trustworthy stuff for our boards.
    So I repeat my initial question :
    Where do you gurus shop from ?

17. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    I think im gonna stay in RS2 for a long time...i see a lot of people complaining on reddit about bugs in RS3...
    and since the start menu bug i have in FCU...i will wait a big longer...

Thanks to o&o shutup10..i have disabled everything and the update isnt downloading.

18. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inf packages files (which are not drivers but just textual configuration files for the default Microsoft drivers) are completely useless unless if your OS does not correctly recognize a device of the chipset. This usually happened with a new chipset and an older OS which does not natively support that hardware yet. Today inf package file are quite useless except in rare cases. If you force the the Intel inf package on an unsupported system to install you may incur to serious stability issues.
    The only things I manually update on my P55 system is the RST drivers since I flashed the RST firmware with a newer using a custom BIOS for my MB, otherwise I could just use the appropriate RST drivers installed by Windows Update.
    Summary: do not try to force the inf package installation on an unsupported system, do not look at the default driver date since all default Microsoft drivers are dated 06/21/2006 even if they are newer! Forcing the inf package driver may result in a wrong driver configuration.

19. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 ti
    If I remember well device manager was giving me an error on MEI system device cause I hadn't installed MEI drivers.
    I guess the same will happen if you don't install Intel inf(chipset device).
    You explained why it's not recommended to maually force the inf package.
    I don't understand if you suggest not installing at all chipset device and MEI when you clean installing for example windows10 on a last generation board.

20. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Intel chipset installer is not drivers.

It puts correct name of devices in device manager; those Unknown devices with yellow bangs are common on new setups.
    It just tells windows what it is and that it needs no driver.

Winraid and stationdrivers are both legit places for drivers.