[OFFICIAL] Windows 10 - 19H1 - RTM

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Extraordinary, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    WU is pimping a slightly updated Intel VGA DCH driver 26.20.100.6813 (vs 6709 via download site)

eGGroLLiO likes this.
  2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

There isn't really an easy connection to make between the app resets and winzip not working, nobody would guess that those were related to the hangups.

3. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 380 4G
    Month of the update has come, prepare your ..... body :D

So we expecting RTM and, at the end of the month official public rollout?

4. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Anyone else experience random slowdowns like once or twice a day? Mouse becomes almost unresponsive and GPU behaves erratically for about 4-5 seconds. Happens during gameplay but also when simply browsing. Event manager shows no errors.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Is MPAM running? That's the definition update for Defender and it runs two to four times a day now usually MPSigStub.exe and MPAM*.exe files in the prefetch folder for each time it updated.
    There's a couple additional Group Policy settings you have to disable for it now which both stops the periodic scanning itself and also the definition updates if it's related to it running in the background. :)

6. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
  7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ❤ MESA 20.2+
    Time to lock my RS5 system down in time for the mandatory update.

8. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    Interesting, but why does the system behave normally during manual definition updates?

9. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Any additional info on how to?

10. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Ah I forgot to edit in the names after I looked it up.

So with this build turning off Defender still has it perform period updates and scans, usually should happen in low-activity situations and during the scheduled maintenance hours but I've seen it happen while in game too and the definition updates can cause the old HDD to take a bit of a workout while it runs and it happens a few times every night. Scans should be 1x a day but that too can hit the HDD performance a bit though it should be less common outside of low activity / idle periods at least.

So for Windows 10 Pro and higher GPEdit.msc and when used via the "Run" command just to cover all the steps this opens the group policy editor.

Computer -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components.

And here near the bottom a number of Windows Defender folders and policies.

Earlier just turning off Defender from a policy herein would stop everything though if you want to do a manual scan it would need to be re-enabled first and now these are also needed.

So Windows Defender Antivirus and then Real-Time Protection.

"Turn off real-time protection." - With this flipped to enable the periodic scans should no longer happen, MsMpEng I think is the exe name but it shows a black type shield icon in the task manager and Microsoft Anti Malware or similar full name though the HDD and CPU utilization should be a indicator it's doing it's thing when it does run which by default I believe is once per day.

Then under "Security intelligence updates" these settings should control the behavior for the definition updates.

Policy I used here was "Specify the time of day to check for security intelligence updates." from 0x0 (Every day.) to 0x8 (Never, I would manually scan for updates before doing a period manual scan.)
    However it no longer seems to prevent the definition updates.

Initiate security intelligence update on startup I believe will control if the system checks for definition updates on reboot such as after installing a monthly cumulative and suddenly there's three or four MpSigStup processes fetched into the Prefetch folder in Windows which you can use to see which time they were running.

Check for latest virus and spyware security intelligence on startup seems related more to the Defender service and when this kicks in it does a check and updates if needed.

Specify interval to check for security intelligence updates might be usable to at least lower the number of update checks but the valid numbers is 1 to 24 for hours so it would still be once per day unlike the above 0x0 to 0x8 to set a day from Monday to Sunday or never with 0x8 (Or every day with 0x0 the default.)

Other settings for Defender includes the smart screen, MAPS online/cloud system and much more, I really need to sit down and go through the policies overall because they change them every build and some settings are removed, changed or altered so they might require Enterprise instead of having worked on Professional earlier. :)

These should result in registry flags being switched back and forth or deleted if no override is set at all so for Home users where the group policy editor is not available entering them manually can possibly be one workaround for these and other tweaks though I do not know the registry parameters very well myself so some searching might be best though could need some updating after 19H1 here comes out in full and guides and such start updating with what it's changed. :)

Not the best explanation and there's so much more to go through, Microsoft has a little "guide" to this sort of thing too https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ating-system-components-to-microsoft-services which yeah that's a really long list of settings, no wonder tweaker programs and helpers or shorter guides for the more common tweaks are so popular ha ha. Going through the big list of everything every sixth month when a new build comes out isn't the most fun but at least the article is update with what has been changed.

EDIT: For a HDD the updates are probably more impactful than on a SSD though I guess a scan can hit performance on both but should finish faster on a SSD assuming this is what bogs it down.

I do know my own HDD is fairly sluggish while either happen though with the scan now out the definition updates aren't too problematic but the patching of the files can still take a while during which the rest of the system isn't going to be the most responsive and depending on frequency well I mostly just check the Windows and Prefect folder but around 2 MpSigStup.exe processes are the norm for what it has added and then 2 - 4 though the higher numbers are mostly during reboot such as a update or driver install if that's not been disabled if the system hasn't updated the files yet for the current scheduled routine which might result in some extra definition updates. :)

And as mentioned from experience when I was in-game in Division 2 I noticed the HDD making some noise so the task manager and then it showed the runtime for these doing a update so it can happen even with the OS being in a idle state though the scan shouldn't hit though it might be trying to go for a lower priority or background activity while there are other programs running actively too.

Not too sure, security overall seems to have tightened a bit not that it's bad but it's not easily configured and the changes also means the earlier method to disable Defender is no longer fully effective. :)

Last edited: May 2, 2019
    Jackalito, Vidik and Chastity like this.

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia Titan Xp
    I didn't bother with any of that. I used the UUP dump downloader and it downloaded Windows 10 18362.86 and converted everything over to an ISO for me with minimum hassle.

12. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    @JonasBeckman Thank you for the details. :) My laptop just before I updated to 1903 was hitting me hard with some apparent latency issues causing audio corruption, and games to literally seize while some activity was going on with the unit. I have all SSDs, and it would still hammer like something was taking High Priority and causing everything to take a back seat, and it would happen a few times a day. Some of it was driver issues, and I've sorted all of them out.

I also run Intel's McAfee Multi-Access product (free from my ISP) and it has always served well. I've noticed as of late that Win Defender likes to still run despite having another AV installed. (Despite also being disabled) So I have a hunch it is still downloading security updates, and doing some quick scan after doing so, and causing some interesting side-affects.

I disabled, or limited what I can, and let's see if things improve. If so, I'll have to make a guide for myself so that I can reapply after updates, because you know MS, they like to reset things to defaults on their own....

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    Yeah every build update I have to go into services.msc and disable the touch input one since it can have compatibility problems (It also spawns a little helper program for input switching as I recall.) and then the usual which I believe is just not saved and synced yet which is the folder and views for the core types via the Documents and Pictures, Video, My Documents and Music.

Once the build is out in full and the next cumulative is released I'll do the usual and just go through each and every setting properly, takes a while so the starter setup is mostly just checking the folder views, policies (Not exactly a small subject though as there's a ton of these and there's usually a few that change every build.) and then also the energy settings (Hibernation isn't something I use so that and fast boot primarily.) in addition to a clean install of at least the display driver but also checking up on the rest just in case. :)

Takes a while and more being synced wouldn't be bad but at least it's not too bad and even a completely clean install is fine though I would probably keep the drivers downloaded ahead of install and then disconnect and do the setup and such without having other stuff coming in via Microsoft Update possibly from who knows what year ha ha.

Old system by now after all, GPU driver could be back to 2017 on it's own and that's the most recent part and no control over this what so ever until you start going through the advanced settings.
    (Makes sense in a way to ensure there's some driver available but I am not a fan of the lack of transparency and fine control over this system for users with some knowledge and experience.)

EDIT: This doesn't even have a touch or tablet anything but the services have some singular setup default so some tuning might be good though far as the old guides for memory and keeping services down I think the OS is in a pretty good spot as-is though there is quite a bit of room depending on what features are considered important or not though a few are also pretty important for a number of other functions to work as Microsoft intended.

Also something I used to do a lot of reading about but Black Viper's service guide isn't updated anymore but the existing info should still be a really good source for what these do. :D

14. epguy19

epguy19 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Xpress 200 - 128Mb
    well you need to be using Winzip 20 or higher which is fully Win10 compatible (and v20 is the last XP compatible version)
    even the winzip 19.x versions work fine with Win10 with no app resets, maybe even the 18.5 version should be ok. recent versions of Winzip have become so bloated, that's why I stopped using newer winzip versions between 18.5 and 20; recent versions of 7zip are relatively small and take few seconds to load unlike the recent versions of winzip

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...0/6eb0515a-16b8-4ea0-954b-e3d6acb28ca1?page=1
    unrelated note: KB4497093 update (build 18362.86) available - cab download links [x86/32bit] [x64/64bit]
    use dism.exe to install cab file (ten forums topic)

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    eGGroLLiO likes this.
  15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Got it thru WU.

16. Passus

Passus Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 Mech OC
    +1

17. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    sense this update, my lg monitor speakers make a slight static sound when exiting games. but it shouldnt because I dont have them set as my default output...

18. epguy19

epguy19 Active Member

GPU:
    ATI Xpress 200 - 128Mb
    MSU downloads for KB4497093 (build 18362.86) - from MS Update Catalog

(x86/32bit) (x64/64bit)

19. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti Poseidon
    did you enable superfetch (SysMain), i had an issue w/ that too but after disable that service it seems no more random slowdowns.

RzrTrek likes this.
  20. Vidik

Vidik Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Gaming Z
    I didn't disable it because it is mostly active only on startup. And it kills itself after it's done loading stuff. Not sure if SuperFetch is the real issue here unless ms changed something specifically in 1903. I think I'll wait for more patches or the final build before disabling anything because yesterday I didn't even notice any slowdowns. At this point it's kinda random