Official Intel Haswell (K) Overclocking thread

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by -Tj-, Jun 7, 2013.

1. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    80+

That was with everything in the Linpack test enabled.

Ofcourse these temps will never happen in Games.

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks again :D

Not bad at all! Any word on when that windows update for USB 3.0 will be released? This patch tuesday?

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Just done with a 1 and a half hour Heaven loop. Temps didn't go above 60C for the CPU.

So i think i got everything sorted here :) Might have to adjust a little when i get my Gskill memory, but i'm really happy atm.

I only read that Intel stated it could be fixed with a Windows Update, dunno anything else.

4. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ RoadKillNL - Did you try auto-overclocking using the Ai Suite III software I linked to in the video on the previous page, or is that only for ASUS motherboards? It looked very intuitive, plus it tests each core so you can have two at 4.5 GHz and the others at 4.6 GHz. It also uses variable voltages and fan speeds so temps are kept in check. You might find you can get a higher overclock with it?

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Gigabyte has EasyTune, but version 8 for Z87 doesn't seem to remember settings. So i did it the learn my system way :p

Undervolt first which was 1.035 at stock, then set to 1.1 and OC with steps of 100 MHz, run OCCT for 30 min untill it bluescreens or windows wont boot. Up the voltage per 0.010 untill it's stable, test again etc.

Auto mode gave me 1.140 volts at stock while i only needed 1.035.

No amount of OC software can achieve this manual fine tuning. It might take a whole day, but it's the best way.

6. BladeRunner

BladeRunner Guest

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti STRIX
    Running at 4.5ghz here on my Asus Sabertooth Z87, dead easy install with the Archon SB-E X2 heatsink, great temps as well, well pleased overall with the upgrade from i7 930.

7. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    Running mine at 4.6ghz at 1.3v but i might drop it to 4.5 because it needs a lot less volts. Over all it's an amazing upgrade from my old 965BE :D

8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm building my PC in morning now I've backed everything up and ran a few basic final benchmarks (3DMark, 3DMark11 and RE6).

What is the best way to apply the thermal compound to the CPU? A pea-sized blob in the middle or two thin crossing lines and let the heat-sink spread it, or a pea-sized blob and spread evenly with a credit card or finger inside a plastic bag?

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I always use a blob and a credit card job evenly spread all over cpu. You will get mixed opinions and even some very credible sources will say that pea sized blob is better.

10. Supernoob2286

Supernoob2286 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE SLI 2GB

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks Supernoob2286, that was very interersting. The X (cross) method looks the best method so I will do that.

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I Always put a 5 mm blob in the middle, place the cooler, twists it a bit to spread and screw it down evenly. So far this method has always covered my whole CPU.

I'm using the Noctua Paste btw.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  13. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    The cross method looks best but it's easy to put too much paste on that way.

14. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    +1 for the pea-sized blob method.

15. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I ended up putting a pea-sized blob on the CPU prior to mounting the (massive!) Noctua NH-D14 cooler on top of it. It seems be working OK as the temps in the BIOS were 28 C (I presume that is OK for an i7-4770K).

So as you can guess, I'm up and running on my new build. I started it at 9am and was able to install Windows 8 Pro on to my SSD by 1:45pm. I had a few hiccups along the way, nothing major but stupid omissions that only I could make such as forgetting to take the two stickers of the backplate after I'd fitted the motherboard and everything else inside my case (fortunately they were vey easy to remove) and forgetting I'd left the rear case fan cable hanging through a PCI-e opening when I fitted my GTX 780! Duh! I bet no-one else has done anything like that! I wouldn't mind but I was up until 3:15 this morning preparing myself for the build by watching YouTube videos so I wouldn't forget anything, such as fitting the memory sticks and putting the thermal paste on before mounting the fan and then connecting the fans (JJ from ASUS' video was terrific in that regard) but not one of them mentioned stickers or watch-where-you-put-your-cables! I'd forgotten how utterly awful Windows 8 is minus Start8, it really is a chore finding anything. I had a bit of scare when I was told there was no internet connection despite the ethernet cable from my router being plugged into the top port but switching it to the one below got me connected. I've no idea why the top one didn't work, maybe Windows didn't install drivers for it?

I have one worrying issue in that I had six SATA devices connected (1 SSD, 3 HDDs and 2 BD/DVD drives), using the cables provided with the ASUS Z87 Deluxe motherboard but one of the drives on SATA port 2 is not being detected for some reason. It may be a duff SATA cable but I was running four devices off one power lead - it was fine on my old build - so I added an extra cable so each cable powers two devices but it still isn't being detected. I'll have to try another cable. I hope it isn't the SATA port that is broken (although I do have 4 spare ASMedia ones if that is the case).

Once that is sorted, I'll update the BIOS (it is 0801 but 1007 is the latest) then install the necessary drivers and set about recovering backups. Fun days ahead (hopefully), although I admit I'm not looking forward necessarily to having to reinstall everything (I hope it doesn't come to that but we'll see).

P.S. My PC is uber-quiet. I mean near silent compared to my old build and I still have the same number of fans running. The Thermaltake Frio cooler I had for my i7-920 was awesome for sure but it was also bloody noisy. The Noctua NH-D14 doesn't even sound like it is running but I'm looking through the opening on my case and I can see both fans spinning!

Back in a bit...

16. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm being told that my Windows isn't activated because it is being used by another PC, obviously my old build. How do I deactivate the key from my previous version of Windows?

17. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
  18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Welcome to the silent rig club =]

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What Ring bus aka L3 cache multi did you use? Same as cpu multi? Because its "recommended" to use max 41-42 with its voltage 1.15v or so, to keep temps under control..

Btw, did you disable onboard igpu too, does it make any diff by temps?

lol Im still waiting on my packet, hopefully it will be here tomorrow or on Tuesday morning. :)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2013
  20. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    What an absolute nightmare I'm having trying to reactivate my copy of Windows 8 Pro. The activation is not accepted because it is in use on another PC, my old machine, and the number I'm given to ring them requires me to type in a 50+ set of digits. I spoke to one lady who then transferred me to another who asked me whether I was from the US or Canada. I told her I was from the UK, at which point she told me I had to ring the UK number! That is the one I used - 0800 018 8354 - as shown in Windows 8 itself!!! The lady gave me another number and I only go to the one where I have to enter the 50+ digit key. This fails validation and that I'm transferred and eventually cutoff because the options I use don't apply to me.

How the hell do I speak direct to Microsoft please? I'm getting seriously pissed off at this. How difficult should it be to deactivate a license and then allow it to be used on a new machine? Very, when Microsoft do it!!!