Official GeForce Hotfix 353.12

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by jwb1, Jun 2, 2015.

1. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    physx must be set to cpu not gpu in this game, to gain performance, and play borderless window,no v-sync ingame,unlimited fps ingame,while you limit the fps to 30 or 40,depends how good the game goes on your rig. This assures framerate stability and eliminates eventually stuttering.Also was suggested to set single display performance evenif you have multiple gpus. And set threaded optimization on not auto

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  2. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    GSYNC also was not working for me after installing these (non-clean) until I disabled it and re-enabled it from set-up GSYNC CP item.

3. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    No it's not. Yes the game uses CPU for physx but leaving that setting at GPU will not disable the CPU physx in the game.

When other games do use GPU for physx, then yes. You can offload it on to CPU. By setting it to CPU.

4. kilyan

kilyan Master Guru

GPU:
    evga 1080 sc gaming
    Well you won't gain additional performance than:
    SOURCE:http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/36088-A-compendium-of-tweaks-and-fixes-for-the-PC-version

For improved in-game performance and smoothness:

Go to the NVIDIA Control Panel, then with the "Manage 3D settings" tab selected on the left side of the window, select "Program Settings", find "The Witcher 3 (witcher3.exe)" in the drop-down menu and edit the following variable:

Maximum pre-rendered frames: 1
    Power Management Mode: Prefer maximum performance

Click the "Apply" button, then start The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, go to the "Options" menu, then "Video" and select to render the game in "Full Screen".

Sources: TheRaidenPT, Slammey and Danikenbr

While still in the NVIDIA Control Panel, navigate to the "Set PhysX configuration" and choose to offload PhysX calculations to your CPU from the "Select a PhysX processor" drop-down menu. Then click on "Apply" and you should see a noticeable framerate improvement in-game!

must say i don't agree with fullscreen, borderless limiting fps with a third party software, is smoother

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Thx for the explanation but here's what I don't understand - Witcher 3 kept crashing (after 5mins of gameplay) when I installed .06 and I didnt understand why until I set Vsync to OFF, then the crashing stopped. I think there's also another Vsync option where you can choose "let 3D app decide" and I've always set it to that. To sum it up, there are two Vsync options now and I suppose one is for Gsync?

6. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Ughh. Then they have no idea what they are talking about.
    This game does NOT support GPU physx. It is not possible to offload the physx on to CPU because it will use CPU for physx anyway no matter what you set in the control panel.

7. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I don't have Gsync monitor but my understanding there is a new Vsync option for Gsync, were that settings sets what happens past the upper Gsync window (120/144 etc ) so once you hit that fps limit you can now have it Vsync off or like the older Gsync, Vsync on and it caps at the refresh rate .

here look way down, they talk about desktop Gsync

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9303/nvidia-launches-mobile-gsync

8. BananaRepublik

BananaRepublik Member Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    Actually, I notice heavier load on my second card, the one assigned to PhysX, than on the first card. This means that there is definitely some GPU PhysX going on. When I set it to CPU, the load is almost perfectly balanced between cards.

9. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
  10. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax 4090
    Well I just had a 4 hour stint with those settings and not a single crash.
    Big difference from the TDR in the first 5 seconds of game I was getting before.

Strange I had to change some settings from the defaults on these drives, guess it could indicate something's different.

With Physx set to GPU and hair works off everything else Ultra I'm still getting a steady 70+fps on my 1080p@144hz Benq.

Witcher 3 was the only game I had any issues with, everything else was working fine with this driver.

11. BananaRepublik

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    Here you go: https://imgur.com/a/wD1nS

Take note of the GPU usage on the second card. First image is PhysX set to CPU, second is GPU.

Also, there's a file called APEX_ClothingGPU_x64.dll in the bin folder of the game. Removing this file has a similar effect to setting PhysX to CPU in the control panel.

Maybe it's not meant to use GPU PhysX, but it definitely does.

12. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    Disable SLI, set your second card as dedicated physx card and show me load before and after on the second card.

13. BananaRepublik

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    As you wish: https://imgur.com/a/a5YOC

Edit: I didn't restart MSI Afterburner after changing the settings, so the clock speeds and mem usage for the second pic are wrong, but the usage stands.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Why dont you set the sli indicator on and physx indicator on in the NVCP and take a screen of that in game.

15. bishi

bishi Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI
    In fact these drivers have crashed for me about 10 times now using Chrome. Falling back to .06 (HW accel on or off)

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  17. FDisk

FDisk Guest

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX GTX970 OC 4GB
    ok, I guess you win. :) I guess they are using it only for the cloth effect and everything else is offloaded on to CPU.
    And if forcing this physx cloth effect on to CPU instead of GPU gives better performance then it's totally broken anyway.
    A whopping 3% usage on a dedicated physx card though. Don't think there is going to be much difference with or without it.

18. BananaRepublik

GPU:
    Galax RTX 2080ti
    I just did that now, but I can't get it to show up in a screenshot using FRAPS or MSI, so I took a pic with my phone.

https://imgur.com/7Xq1K1W

19. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Very interesting, thanks for the read.

20. lantian

lantian Guest

agreed, but it amazes me that every time a game comes out using cpu based physx, there is a s*** ton of people who are ready to go to extreme lenghts to prove it uses gpu instead of cpu, the same thing was with pcars and now withcer 3, I mean it is super simple to test, enable the physx indicator and take a look then, take some screenshots and prove that everyone is lying about physx