Official CFB 2010 Thread

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by sava700, May 5, 2010.

1. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    My first thought is that the regular season is the playoff system, the regular season should decide which team goes to which bowl (BCS being the tie breaker), and that no change is "needed"

On the other hand,I realize change is constant, and change is the only way teams/leagues stay truly competitive.

All that said; I'm happy.I think the NCAA, and the Big10 did a great job with this.

2. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Besides Oregon St whom they play at home, Boise St just doesn't play anyone else besides VT this year worth a damn IMO. I hope I'm proved wrong if Hawaii beats USC and looks strong but I don't see it. This Monday's game is a make it or break it for both teams this year no matter what other teams they play.. its all on the line and I'll be there to cheer the hokies to victory!!

The only problem I see with this is that both OSU and Michigan may end up playing each other twice in back to back weeks and IMO that really makes that "Last game" just kinda stupid and a waste of time - at the very least it causes a major amount of "Ohh if we lose you got lucky, and we will beat you next week" kinda mentality. They should have both been in the same Division IMO. Look at how it is with the ACC - VT, Miami, UNC and GT are all in the same Division so its like a damn Free for all each year watching them beat up on each other!!

3. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Man, my Pitt game and Hawaii game's took a hit on me. Good OT battle with Pitt and Utah but the Hawaii game was a joke, they got ripped off of a TD and were able to slam down over 588 yards against USC's sucky defense and still lost.... I see USC losing at least 3 games this year.

Miami looked impressive last night!!! OSU looked good too cept for a special teams screw up that gave Marshall a score. Going to be one hell of a game next week just wish I could watch the whole thing rather than listen to it on XM, I'll be on the way home from VT's home game at that time.

4. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Great games yesterday.. that upset of Ole Miss, UNC statistically over powered LSU but still lost the game :3eyes:

They save the best for last... Tomorrow VA Tech vs Boise St!!!! I'll be there bright and early with cold beer in hand!! :banana:

5. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Not to down Michigan, but it will be a few years before they are back at their Big 10 title area. So you aren't likely to see that and the schedule is only for like 2 years.

6. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Well back from FedEx field guys, hell of a game! Wish we could have pulled off the win..Boise played a good game and deserve the win. I'm hoping my Hokies can rebound as they always have to complete another 10+win season and cap it off with another big bowl game win. We still have the chance to run the boards on the rest of the games with a several times stronger schedule than Boise has and could end up meeting again but who knows. I was a little annoyed by the early mistakes but that happens in a 1st game, a little annoyed by some missed or bad calls but can't complain - over all well worth the trip. VT only fell to #13 so everyone that votes and watched that game knows how good of a team they are and will be once they settle down. I wish Boise st all the luck in the remaining schedule!!

7. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Best wishes to Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio, who suffered a heart attack after yesterdays win over Notre Dame.
    I know Maxfly is a MS fan, and he's Big 10 brethren.
    Get well soon, form the Buckeye nation

[​IMG]

8. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT

Yeah that's just rough... it prob had Urban thinking twice about his return this year as well. On another note I've been so pissed at my Hokies here lately that I've lost a little interest and the hype. Playing 3 games in 12 days I know is hard on a team and it shows after dropping that Boise game right in front of me (yes I was there) and then the damn JMU game (yes I was freaking there in the damn rain) but at least they rebounded a little against ECU but still upsets me to see that no ACC team has done anything good against another conference team unless you count Duke scoring the first TD against Alabama :3eyes:

9. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    I thought the canes looked really good.So far, they would be my first choice to win the ACC.
    The Bucks are playing well, so I'm happy.too bad they have such a cupcake this weekend.The miami game made me hungry for the big games.Also, I'm glad we have more time to shore up the special teams, who are playing high school level right now.

Does anyone know why USC is being ranked this year? It annoys me to think they will end up top ten, and without bowl eligibility, some other team is going to get screwed.

10. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    It doesn't matter cause I'm sure USC will lose at least 2 games this year maybe even 3. They have too many trap games coming up with better teams.

11. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    my avatar, nuff said

12. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    It's a shame your organization only schedules one talented opponent per year.It's a shame any other ranked team has to maintain "strength of schedule" in order to maintain a BCS ranking.
    BS wins it's one hard game a year, but I'd like to see the results of a real schedule.

Yeah, we all have cupcakes at the beginning of the year, but to have them all year long seems sad.

13. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT

Really?? I mean I think Boise St is a good team but VT controlled that game in all aspects but lost by 3 points. That was Boise St's only hard team they will have had to play all this season. Oregon should jump them in the polls this week, if they don't then thats BS on the voters. I honestly at this point see Alabama and Oregon playing for the national championship. My Hokies are rebouding nicely after that hangover loss to JMU which will happen to teams from time to time, just ask Michigan but when ya have only 2 days to prepare between games it doesn't help either.

I figured USC would lose a few games this year, Washington was one of those Trap teams I figured would get em and they did.

14. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Good! I figured they would and should!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5644349

15. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    you know why i love bsu other than the fact that im from boise? everyone argues that if bsu played such and such they would lose, then bsu plays these peoples teams and comes out on top with the "W". you wont ever see bsu fans flooding usc boards or any other schools boards or forums talking smack about them. but go look at the comments on a bsu game and see how many fans of others schools try to diss bsu. as the saying goes "Haters Gonna Hate"
    :)

16. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    I see your point, and it's valid up to the point about who you've beat.It's not that you can't,because they've proved they can-but to do it once is much different than doing it week in, and week out.
    Every school schedules cupcakes to get back into the swing of things, and to pay for the non profitable sports at the school, but once most teams begin conference play, there are huge challenges.
    BS plays a very soft schedule every year.Then when they win, they wonder why they don't get BCS respect.
    I think any team, including BS, and TCU should be able to play for the NC, but i think they have to earn it the hard way like anyone else.

17. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I see your point also but just as palerider said, they have to do it over and over and over again. Beating VT is a very big jump, and BSU beat them by 3 points but if you look at the stats of that game VT dominated ever other aspect. There are a bunch of teams better than VT at the moment and I'm sure week after week after week had BSU had a schedule that put this much weekly pressure on them they would be lucky to make a winning season at all. Look at the schedule schools like Alabama have, OSU, VT, Miami(Fl), Florida etc.. they play all these very big teams all the time and its like a damn maze of awesome around each corner. Boise st doesn't have "awesome" around the corner, they have "what, who, and why". This is why Oregon jumped them in the polls after beating Stanford whom even today is a better team than Boise St is.

When you have teams like Alabama going through 6+ high Ranked teams this year and winning all of them then yeah they deserve to play for that NC. BoiseSt will only play maybe 1 more ranked team and that is a ranked Nevada team that hasn't been in the AP top 25 in what 80years? I'll be surprised if they are still ranked by time BSU plays them. Other than that they have nobody left of any strength to play.

18. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    ESPNinsider did an article using math to calculate the odds of Boise State going unbeaten vs. Oregon going unbeaten and concluded the odds are three times higher in BS's favor. I don't have an Insider account or else I'd c/p the article but they did put up that synopsis of it. Of course we really didn't need the article to know this since you can look at history and see that PAC-10 teams have only gone unbeaten in and out of conference three times in the last thirty years. It's just very hard to do...you sure don't see anybody talking like Oregon is headed for an unbeaten season this year and yet it's pretty much a given for Boise State now.

Anyway we should be ranked #1 if they gave us style points ;)

[​IMG]

19. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    All I have to say about Oregon, is I'm glad it's October, and not January.
    IMHO, if things stay as they are,the Ducks will be playing for the little crystal football.Against who? I dunno.Bama has a hella schedule, and OSU just don't have the running game it needs to compete for a NC.

20. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    well you cant say that if bsu played such a schedule they wouldnt have a wining season. You dont know that, because there is no way to prove it. If BSU moved to one of those conferences then they would also have better recruiting and more money and most importantly be in a bcs conference. You can't use a scenario that doesn't exist, then make up your own outcome and say its fact. BSU will continue to prove themselfs, and just like every college football program that has a lot of success, people will constantly try to underestimate them. Look at the history and the short amount of time they have been in the fbs and the amount of success they have had since joining. Look at the facts is all any bsu fan is saying, give them the opportunity to prove it on the field, thats all we ask.