Official CFB 2010 Thread

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by sava700, May 5, 2010.

1. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    I guess I disagree, Federal oversight should be used in the means of controlling money since many schools get over looked and this hurts students and local area's around these schools in the long run. Hell there are so many things that are hurt from one school getting more money than the other just cause of a few voters that at times don't get it right.

The BCS = Fail plain and simple.

Still at the end of the day we are left with a changing conference view and a nice Pre-season poll that really puts 5 solid teams at the #1 spot this year. Clear winners in a few early games will likely go on to be a National Champ.

2. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
    I'll agree Iowa has owned us but all streaks must come to an end sometime :p

One another thing I'm going to try too really enjoy this season because next year things are really going to change (not that that's a bad thing)

Almost forgot who are you calling jerks? Those are fighting words lol:p:moon:

3. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    So much love for my Buckeyes....

It's a bit scary for me.Everything hinges on Pryor.The D always plays stout, and Tress is an amazing coach, but until he's 100% comfortable with his players, it's ultra conservative.Drives me nuts.
    I still don't trust Pryor though.I think he improvises better than most QB's, but his mechanics were not great, and his decision making was poor, at least 3/4 through last season.The Rose Bowl looked good, but he has to do it every Saturday before I'm convinced he's grown.

4. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    Well, we're talking about two entirely different things here. You and I both agree strongly that the BCS is a pile of crap because it doesn't solve the big questions and in the meantime does away with the historical bowl tie-ins in the top matchups. But hold on to your pants, because the BCS is about to come crashing down with the Big12 (no, I don't believe a ten team B12 will come out of the other end of this).

As far as the notion of the federal government taking away money that Texas rightfully earned by selling out its own stadium with its own fans, well, you might as well just give up on that notion because it isn't going to happen. No idea what on earth would have possessed you to believe that is a realistic scenario. It doesn't exist in any other sport, professional or amateur, and it won't exist in college football. Nobody gets hurt by school receiving what they deserve. That's just crackers. This isn't friggin' Cuba or Stalinist Russia, FFS. Things don't work that way in the Western world.

:D

As much as Wisky has long been one of our official rivals, I find it hard to hate those drunken Germans. Great school, great stadium, great town, even if Bielema eats boogers.

Fwiw, I don't feel real good about the Wisky game either, but then I never do. Always such close games.

Will be a hell of a ride, and obviously tOSU can do a whole lot of damage even when Pryor comes out flat and gets happy feet. It's never NOT scary playing you guys.

5. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    It is nice to actually have a good conversation about Big 10 (and partially ex-Big 12) football, as with CBS and ESPN having exclusive contracts with certain conferences, all you hear about is how good those teams are compared to other teams.

6. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Well its not due to any teams fans that fill any stadium... you have to look at before that. What if Texas didn't play in this imaginary bowl game and some other team should have? This is what I'm talking about and yeah it revolves around the BCS so we both agree on that, however the BCS is flawed and this is where Federal Oversight should be involved at some point to ensure the fairness of which team really deserves to go where and what amount of money should be allotted to any team or teams.

7. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    Texas's hundred million in annual income doesn't come from bowl games. Where on earth did you hear this???

They made their hundred million prior to the existence of the BCS, and they'll make it after the BCS is a distant memory.

You're nuts if you believe that bowl games are making certain schools' athletic departments stinking rich.

8. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Recently a NY Jets fan sued the NFL over the "spygate" incident with the New England Patriots, the judge ruled that buying a ticket entitles you to watch a football game, and that is it. Not a fair one, not a non-rigged one, just a football game.

You keep looking to the Federal Government like it is your mommy you are running home to complain to about some kid on the playground, the Federal Government is not there to make sure sports games are fair. It is there for a Military, foreign affairs, and a few other powers delegated by the Constitution.

This may not be directed at you, but people really need to stop believing that a national government is responsible and should be given the power to dictate individuals to do whatever it is some people think they should be doing.

If you have a problem with the way things are done, go to your State representative and lobby him/her to change how the University of your State is run and what conferences, leagues, and whatever else it may be a member of is done. Or complain to the Governor of your State, at least in South Dakota, nearly all of the institutions that receive State funding are under a Board of Regents that is directly appointed by the Governor.

If there is some sort of corruption or something like that going on at the State or local level, then call up the FBI, other than that get your nose out of every other State's colleges business just because you don't like how things work for yours.

9. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
    How could you hate us? We're way to easy going (I think that comes from to much overindulgence we don't have the energy to hate)we reserve most of our dislike for those Gophers and Suckerines, but Coach B eating boogers I demand that you sir provide video evidence of that kinda crime lol

10. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I don't hate you as an Iowa fan, in fact, except when you playing Iowa, I usually root for the Badgers.

11. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Amen. The more power you relinquish to to the federal government, the weaker the democracy becomes.There are extremely important functions that the feds are responsible for, but college sports isn't one of them.

Check this out.Some dude posted it on Scout.He says it's "leaked", but I suspect he made it.Either way, I like it.Also, it leaves room for ND, MU, Rutgers, and Pitt.

[​IMG]

12. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Lol, it still says Big10 at the end, someone just changed the 0 to a 6.

13. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    That's the point though.I think the name "Big Ten" carries a ton of weight, and no matter how many teams are in the conference, the name will stay the same.( That's why it didn't change with the addition of our 11th team, PSU)This logo, acknowledges the speculated 16 teams, but keeps the name.Personally, I think it's brilliant.

14. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Well, I personally would like to see a 16 team Big 10 to be honest. 8 teams per (like East/West) division, play 3 non-conference 6 division games, 2 non-division...top 8 teams play in in-conference playoff.

And build a centrally located Big-16 dome for the playoffs.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2010
  15. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
    I'm loving that logo, but they gotta get to 16 teams first and I'm still not sure that's going to happen

16. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    The logo first showed up on Rivals a few days ago, from (I think) a Northwestern fan. Brilliant, hilarious, and probably not that far from what the actual logo could look like.

I agree with Stukov, mikey. I'm usually in Wisky's corner unless we're playing you guys head to head.

17. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    Just wait.

Texas + TAMU = 14. And yes, I think that happens, and that there is still heated discussion going on between the involved parties.

ND + Pitt = 16. ND won't have a choice if and when the Big12 cracks under its own weight and dissolves, which it almost certainly will, and when the Big East gets raided by the ACC after the SEC raids them for Miami, Clemson and possibly FSU or UNC.

18. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I don't think Texas A&M is going to ever join the Big10 as they are not AAU members, and that is huge amount of money in research endowments and grants.

That is why Missouri, Rutgers/Syracuse, Texas, ND, Pitt, and a few other schools are mentioned is because they are AAU members.

19. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    TAMU is most certainly an AAU member, and their total research expenditures dwarf those of several BigTen schools and, in fact, dwarf those of Texas itself. Culturally, they're a poor fit but otherwise (and as a package with Texas), the move makes a lot of sense for them and for the conference.

Missouri isn't going to happen unless Texas requests them in order to shore up their voting bloc, and that will only occur in the absence of TAMU.

20. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Guys, I'll say this as the last time I discuss it here and I'll just go on to focus on the games in the coming months and the polls.

However, I don't wish the Govt to take over anything, I do want to see some sort of over sight just to keep the BCS and all these bowl games in check to ensure the teams are chosen fairly. Plain and simple!

I'm tired of watching teams go undefeated and not play for a national championship just cause a few voters push a few "well known" teams that seem to draw more ratings for ESPN or whoever shows it or cause the bowl owners want these other teams cause fans will travel better. That's horse crap and everyone knows it and it is just not fair to those players that may deserve it more.

So that's all I have to say on the subject.

As for this upcoming season, the pre-season polls I posted on page one seem to be hanging in there but I gotta laugh at ole USC what a joke!