Official CFB 2010 Thread

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by sava700, May 5, 2010.

1. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
  2. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    USC @ #20-LMAO

When in God's name will the NCAA drop the hammer on the Trojans? This has gone on so long, it's a joke.

----Go Bucks. # 3 looks awful damn good

3. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Well bumping for all the news:

USC is getting what they deserve for a change a 2 year bowl ban and then some!!

Colorado is moving to the Pac10, Nebraska will move into the Big10 today, VATech got a formal invite to join the SEC.... wow what a start to a season!!

4. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    I can't say that USC isn't getting what they deserve...I think it's fine...but the severity surprised me considering the precedent set when Oklahoma got caught with players receiving money for a job they never performed. Erased wins from one season and just two scholarships lost and yet no post-season play penalties. There should be some consistent policy from the NCAA IMO.

I ain't happy about Colorado joining the PAC-10 either...I like our current set-up where every team plays every other team during the course of the season. I also don't like to see other Big 12 teams getting left out in the cold and suffering financially from these changes. And if that's not enough the last time I looked Colorado was no where near the Pacific Ocean lol

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010

5. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Colorado was already pretty far to the west compared to the rest of the Big 12. I think we are pretty close to having a Pac-16 and a Big-16, the Pac-10 picking up 5 other teams from the Big-12...well whoever the Big-10 doesn't take. The B10 would probably take Texas (because it is an AAU member) but most talk that Texas won't go anywhere without TT and TA&M.

Then there is talk the B10 will raid the Big East to pick up some other AAU members in order to force ND to join the B10 finally as well as pick up New York and NJ TV contracts.

Alot of people complain about this, I don't see how its so bad honestly, it is going to be the closest thing to a play off system (4 super conferences with inside playoffs and then 2 bowls each for winners). I'm a Iowa Hawkeye fan and I've been waiting for Big10 to expand to get out of the 11 team problem that we have now (with shared titles). Having Nebraska in the Big10 (though schedules won't change till 2010, is going to be huge because on the western side of Iowa where I am from there are tons of Hawkeys and Cornhusker fans...that could be a pretty big rivalry getting started there.

6. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    And Nebraska applies..

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276551

7. sava700

sava700 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080GTX FWT
    Another....

Can't wait to watch VATech crush them Labor day!

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5276064

8. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
    I'm lovin the fact Nebraska is coming to the Big Ten, they should fit like a glove

As for those Buckeyes we'll see how good they are when they come to Madison on the 16th of October,the Badgers don't lose Saturday night games (ok maybe this 1 but it should be good lol)

9. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244

Damn straight. Huskers should have been in the league from the beginning, save their borderline academics. Great fit, and it will be interesting to see who else the BT decides to add (if anyone) and to watch the others scramble for the scraps like the Pac10. ND, Rutgers, Syracuse, Texas, Maryland and Mizzou aren't out of the question to round the league out to 14 or even 16 (unlikely).

That SI preseason analysis is probably one of the best out there. Iowa is about right, while I'd probably move Miami down a few spots, trade the Buckeyes with Boise State, and push Utah up a few.

10. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Quick question, I'm a huge pro sports fan but can't seem to get into the college level sports. What am I missing, why do so many people like it so much?

11. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Nebraska is part of the AAU so I don't think their academics are bad in any way.

12. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Access, more likely to have a college in your area than an Nfl team, and there is the thing that people go to colleges so it is part of your school identity.

13. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    I'd be surprised if ND didn't cave to the pressure, and join the B10 by the end of next week.Even Lou Holtz has started campaigning for it.They either act now, or could be very screwed in a year or two.

Welcome Huskers.Perfect choice for our expansion.

USC

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    Gotcha, makes sense.

15. hawkeyefan

hawkeyefan Maha Guru

GPU:
    8800GT @ 787/1944/2244
    That's hardly the only metric. They have no medical school. At all.

Their annual research endowments are also currently dwarfed by those of any other BigTen institution, which is what matters to the CIC. Like I said, room for improvement on their end, and they're borderline in that capacity. Texas, TAMU, Maryland or Rutgers are much better fits simply in terms of academics.

16. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
    I think Texas is going to end up in the Pac-whatever, I wouldn't mind seeing ND and Missouri added but I think 12 teams is enough for now

Going to be an interesting few weeks can't wait to see how everything turns out

17. Makalu

Makalu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 Ultra
    I think Texas should join the United States before being allowed into the PAC-10....

18. itsmikey76

itsmikey76 Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor RX5700xt
    LMAO :lmaa:

19. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Texas, would most certainly fit well within the Big 10 far as academics, and would make the Big 10 (if they add say ND) of 14 total teams for a pretty powerful conference. I would highly doubt that Texas is going to leave TT/TAnM behind, it also looks like Missouri has stated intent NOT to leave the Big 12 (which now resides at 10).

Currently with Mizz's announcement we may not see another move in the conferences this year, the only way we may see more is if the fear of being left behind by either the Pac-10 or Big-10 results in either going for 16 teams so that they can attempt to get more automatic qualifying BCS bowl spots (1 over 2 spots I believe it would be).

The B10 themselves have a plan of long-term acquisition, they even said that with the developments of the Colorado and other rumors, they sped up their time table considerably.

20. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Damn, I think I should have saved my cool ROFL GIF for this :D

@ShadowMyth

Here are the reasons I prefer College ball:

1- Sportsmanship. The college athlete wins with grace, and loses with grace.In both pre and post game interviews,you hear positive attitudes.Respect.
    I don't see that much anymore in the pros.Everyone seems self absorbed and spoiled.

2-Hunger. These guys want it, and want it bad.They play for personal gain ( the chance to go pro) and at that point, the school is the place boys become men.They play for the love of their school.

3-Tradition. Every school has their traditions, and when you are part of it, it takes on an emotional meaning that you can never get over.
    My buckeyes sing the Alma Mater after every game-win or lose.The dotting of the I in our bands "script Ohio" sequence. The skull session pep rally at the basketball arena before the game........
    I can't tell you how many times I've shed tears watching the OSU band march off the field after a game.
    I'm as big a Raiders fan as can be, but I've never shed a tear for them.( well, tears of pain, but that's a different story)

3- Watching players grow.You see them recruited as high schoolers.You see them on the bench, and if you're lucky, you see them get 10 minutes playing time in a spring game.Before you know it, you see them starting, winning personal awards, All American, etc.You see them in competition for the Heisman, and in a way, it's like watching a beautiful plant grow from seed.

4- Pride.In most cases, you cheer for the school that represents your home state.Often the school you attended.Their accomplishments are your accomplishments, and their pain is your pain.

5- (for me) A Saturday in Columbus Ohio is like a festival.A sea of red, tailgate parties everywhere,....imagine Christmas Day at the North pole.ENERGY. I've been to most MAC, and Big 10 stadiums, a few in Florida, and Notre Dame, and it's almost the same.Lots and lots of happy people.

Please, get to a Penn State game.I promise you'll not be disappointed.(unless it's PSU vs. tOSU )