Official AMD Uninstallation Utility!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Derko1, Jan 18, 2013.

1. velocityx

velocityx Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FE - EK FCB
    will stay with DDU, Wagnar keeps an eye on every new driver release which I doubt amd clean uninstall people do judging by how rarely they update the software.

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I combine the two usually.

I uninstall the driver using the AMD Uninstaller, and then I use DDU in safe mode.

3. Romulus_ut3

Romulus_ut3 Master Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX5700 XT 8G
    This is what I do too. I first uninstall the AMD driver from Programs and Features, then do a DDU.

4. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    last time I've used the specific AMD uninstaller, it screwed up my RAID setup to the point I had to re-install Windows. Not touching this with a stick until someone tells me it leaves graphics unrelated stuff alone and doesn't nuke anything that has "amd" letters in its name.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Unless you choose to "uninstall all", you can select what it removes.

6. Lurk

Lurk Master Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4080 VertoOC
    it shouldn't mess with vital system files anyway ffs, or at least warn you that your system might become unbootable in certain cases. this is AMD's usual sloppiness.
    and to make things worse this quirk didn't happen with all of their uninstallers, but only with one of the latest versions before it disappeared from their site for a while. no wonder!

LOL, just read the update to the OP. Round of applause.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
  7. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    Don't know if the answer has already been given but is it that this utility is better than DDU?

8. Watcher

Watcher Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX6700 XT
    Lets answer this question with a Pro and Cons list:

• DDU and AMD Clean Uninstall Utility are both AMD Driver cleaning applications.
    • DDU is created and maintained by a dedicated team.
    • AMD Clean Uninstall Utility is an offshoot from the AMD driver development team.
    • The members of the DDU team regularly monitor forums that give feedback in case of difficulties experienced while using the DDU application. Since this is a dedicated team, the response to these issues are resolved in very short order.
    • The members of the AMD Clean Uninstall Utility have put out this utility to use. The very first version of this utility did cause issues on some computer systems. No patch was offered or updated version given to address these issues or concerns.
    • Both utilities have the potential of causing issues during the cleaning of the AMD drivers from a computer. Both teams are offering their respective utilities in the hope that they will provide the function that they advertise.
    • DDU team will always have a faster responds to an issue then AMD, even if AMD responds at all.
    • AMD Clean Uninstall Utility is created by the makers of the AMD driver team so they might have more information about the inner workings of their drivers then the DDU team may ever have.

There is the long and short of it. If you are looking for a personal opinion from a Guru3D forum member, I would have to say that DDU has my vote.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  9. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    DDU also happens to clean nVidia and Intel graphics driver leftovers, so it's more practical to have it around.

10. fixide

fixide Guest

GPU:
    290X
    Ok it's more clear. Thanks a lot :).