*Official* 6600K & 6700K Owners Experience Thread

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Mr Terry Turnip, Aug 26, 2015.

1. TheF34RChannel

TheF34RChannel Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1080 Strix
    I'm about to and eying the 6600K. My motherboard failed on me last night, permanently.

Has anyone attempted multiplier and BLCK overclocking? I'd like to try 190Mhz with a 24 mp.

2. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Just upgrade one of my systems to the Asus Impact VIII and 6700k, surprised how easy it was to overclock the 6700k, 4.6ghz with 1.28v with adaptive mode. ram sitting at 3200mhz, 16gb, 15-15-16-30 CR1 with 1.32v

System is sitting in a In-Win 901 case, So airflow is pretty tight, and there is a 980TI in the confined space but the 6700k isn't exceeding 72-76c with IntelBurnTest. the Corsair H80I seems to be doing a pretty decent job. very happy with horsepower with such a small build.

3. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yup I get about the same overclock here! I was surprised how easy it was after having a dud of a 4770K that wasn't stable beyond 4.2Ghz.

Mine will top out at 4.9Ghz at 1.37v but temps get too hot at load to make it good for 24/7 usage. I also did get mine to post and load Windows at 5Ghz around 1.42v. However I couldn't get it to past any benchmarks would always hard lock.

4. Hughesy

Hughesy Guest

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 980
    Loving my 6700K, I have it overclocked at 4.5GHZ, it can go higher but voltage increase is not worth it for me. During gaming temps are around 45-55c. Weird issue though while playing Fallout 4, during gameplay temps are as stated above, but during loading I get spikes upto 67C. It only stays at that temp for a second and then drops, just found it strange.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mine arrives in a few days :D Thinking of getting this mobo tomorrow or the day after. I wanted the Asus z170 pro but I can only find the pro gaming and -a models easily. GB boards are widespread. Any other alternatives?

Carbide 500r will be a decent mid tower case?

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    So, you're still second guessing Asus Hero VIII? :p

Imo it would be 10x better then that Gigabyte - at least by bios.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Only one shop had it and for $300 :(

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  9. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

11. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
  12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Hero Alpha seems to have a U.2 connector - a quick google search and one of Hilbert's reviews comes up with him calling it useless lol. WiFi's presence is good, I hate wires and the biggest thing is all Intel USB ports. I would really prefer to have a board with all Intel USB and Ethernet ports.

How is that Asmedia controller based USB port?

I can't import motherboards so I'll check the local market again in the evening. I wish it had power/reset buttons though :p They were very useful when I got my current PC and didn't have a case for the first 2 days.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ah ok, well it is available in that local? shop.. But its over 1100ED
    http://gear-up.me/motherboard/mb-socket-intel-1151/asus-sabertooth-z170-mark-1.html

Dunno, guess that Hero VIII for 990ED looks like your bet, then 2nd that Gigabyte UD5.

14. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    On my Hero board its just the USB 3.1 port is Asmedia I've never had to use it. But the Asmedia sata ports, I just have my bluray drive off one of them.
    Everything else is off the intel connection for SATA and USB.

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've had no issues with Asmedia based USB3 ports.

Don't use Asmedia SATA controllers for anything but optical or mechanical harddrives though.

16. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Looks like that. Hero & the UD5 are my #1 and #2 choices. I did some searching online and saw the ASrock z170 Extreme 6, it looks alright but what do you think?

Thanks guys, I won't be using the ASmedia sata ports for sure. I have 4 hdds and 1 new SSD on the way so it will be all intel. I make semi annual back ups of all my media and work documents so the USB3 performance and reliability are extremely important. One of the marvell ethernet ports on my current mobo is not working properly, I get 7 mbps instead of the 10 I'm supposed to get so I'm keen on Intel there too. Dunno wtf this Killer NIC thing is supposed to be.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    It looks good build wise, also it has same VRM chokes as my Deluxe (Premium 60A Power Choke)

Bios uefi seems to got better too, this was also a weak point by Asrock & older models.

That Killer NIC is meh, from what I saw drivers are terrible.. Stick with Intel NIC based mobos, this Asrock has Intel too.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Either Intel or Broadcom for NIC.... Marvell and Realtek integrated NICs are both garbage. They always seem to either have excessive latency or low throughput. Killer NIC is just a bunch of hype.... None of the claims made have ever been proven using proper testing methods.

I use an Asmedia based USB3 port for my external drive and have seen no performance issues at all. Asmedia SATA ports always seem to have lower transfer rates than Intel's controller when an SSD is connected. They're not nearly as bad as the Marvell controllers though. I'm not even sure how Marvell manages to keep selling the sub-par garbage they produce....

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  19. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    I just helped somebody with a build and I'd like to say avoid EVGA-FTW. It's got awful features compared to the competition for the price, and we couldn't even install Win7 without a BIOS update (competitor boards feature a PS2 port or some kind of inherent BIOS option to get around the conspicuous lack of legacy USB support on z170 boards). He was using a nearby Micro Center for parts and that worked great for the $360 i6700k, but they were pretty limited when it comes to z170 boards and DDR4. We'd started with a great-looking GA-UD5 board but it was DOA with a memory detection error, the EVGA was a spur-of-the-moment and poorly researched alternative...

I mean what idiot decided not to put ANY USB2 headers on this motherboard (and a single USB3)??? His classic HAF case's front USB2 ports have been rendered useless.

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Anyone using the realtek audio? I'm getting an annoying crash on startup. ATKEX_cmd something.

edit: apparently I have to install AI suite >_< After uninstalling the realtek stuff, Windows 10 will reinstall everything, including Asus' stuff. So weird.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2015