Office 365 ProPlus Forces Bing to become standard search engine in Chrome - starting in February

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    joe187 and 386SX like this.
  2. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    WOW, just wow! They havent learned anything ...

And on top, if that wouldnt already be enough:
    https://www.comparitech.com/blog/information-security/microsoft-customer-service-data-leak/

250M data points into the wild, on a DB openly accessible on the internet. But just for a very short time frame .... only from 2005 to December 2019 .... just a few .... YEARS!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Be proud to be MS customer! They connect you to people you didnt know before. 360 degrees full spectrum contact sharing .... at other companies you have to pay for that. :D

3. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I don't get it, they must realize they will be sued and lose because this is very blatant abuse of their dominant market position. So why would MS do that ?

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Yeah, Microsoft just loves open source and freedom of software.
    The hypocrisy is just astounding.

5. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    What a load of BS Micro$oft! I hope they get a big fine.

6. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    don't worry, "I Accept" during O 365 install solves all the legal problems. Then again, if you are backwards enough to not use one of the many free solutions, you probably deserve your data to be sent to other companies looking for people just like you.

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Will hardly change anything.

rl66 likes this.
  8. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    At home I am using Open Office.

M$ continues to force consumers to use their products.

rl66 likes this.
  9. nosirrahx

nosirrahx Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7700
    There are more viable alternatives all the time. Personally I abandoned office when I lost the ability to install it without linking it to an account. I build a lot of PCs, it is very common for the users to not have a MS account so I would need to either set up a burner account or use my account, both terrible solutions.

anticupidon likes this.
  10. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    You should give a look at LibreOffice, all the OpenOffice devs, at time of 3.X version moved away because they did not like the move to apache license for some reason.
    They forked the project and built LibreOffice that is basically where OpenOffice left, and they continued to move on.

rl66, anticupidon, Mesab67 and 2 others like this.

11. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI

Alternatives are viable for small offices or isolated workflow, sadly enough i tried to move the office i was working in to free softwares, but everyone liked MS office because it was perceived as smoother and easier... While of course it is, it comes at a price, both in term of license and other stuff. But when the licenses started to be available on online sellers for less than 50 eur, then they did not want to switch anymore back to the free alternative.

12. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    Microsoft switches to chromium for it's upcoming version of Microsoft Edge, Google allows the browser extension for Bing search to be automatically installed when installing a microsoft program.

One major feature traded for another major feature of software. Business as usual, but you should be able to disable the extension if desired.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  13. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    Yeah, that doesn't work that way, at least not in Europe. And regardless, that isn't an issue of consent, but an issue of MS abusing their dominant position to force users into using their solution. Literally, this was exactly what they were sued over with IE.

Personally, I don't mind office at all. They work quite well for what they do, but for me nothing beats Latex (or Overleaf) so I only use office very sporadically.

14. Angushades

Angushades Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 OC
    Yea because the EU dictators like to tell big business what do to lol and as for bing not finding jack crap because all of us gave google enough info already without them asking.

15. joe187

joe187 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070ti FTW
    Browser hijacking, cuz why not? o_O

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    they will get a fine ... they will pay it gladly ...and suddenly the bing search engine will appear like it is getting traction from the users that have no idea that they are using bing now , apparently microsoft deems that it is worth the "investment "

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    wait you actual still think MS would learn? I would though everyone at this point know MS dont learn :p

I dont use IE unless something is so broke in FF have to test it different browser , and most time it turns out it the site the is broke cause same thing happen in multiple browsers. I dont use MS Office, why would when I can Open office for free and does all the same stuff.

dont use chrome cause i dont like how it cleans the browser cookies/history etc, upon relaunch instead of on exit. I dont like Edge so eh, MS is lucky I mostly use my pc for gaming, other wise I would of switched to linux.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
  18. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Microsoft is the kid who wants the world to do his bidding, no matter what costs.
    And some tire after a while to face the stubborn kid and let him be/win.
    Oldest trick in the book.

19. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    360° no-scope? Good job :D
    Chrome actually does not clear history database file. (Yes, it is database file.)
    It just marks records as hidden. Since you can use linux, you can easily grep/strings it and see everything that has been "removed".

386SX likes this.
  20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    which why i refused to use chrome, it doesnt actual delete that stuff on exit