Odd temperature problem (I think!)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by w1w, Jan 4, 2007.

1. w1w

w1w Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    I have a Sapphire X1950Pro 256mb.

Using the monitoring graphs on Ati Tray Tools it tells me that whilst running Quake 4, the peak temp is around 67c with the average just under whereas running Call of Duty 2, the peak temp is around 74c with the average just below that.
    Why is that? I would've thought Quake 4 would be more demanding than COD2.

Just curious really, the card seems fine most of the time.

2. Sfolivier

Sfolivier Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire X1950XT 256mb (672/972)
    No Quake 4 is not very demanding, it uses the same engine as Doom 3 pretty much. COD2 is actually harder and should notice an FPS diffference. I could run Doom3 at 1680x1050 maxed out with my 6800GS, while COD2 was barely okay at 1280x1024 (and not maxed out at all). I know that DirectX versus OpenGl also has an impact on how nVidia/ATI cards stress with games (I never remember who likes what).

In any case, those temperatures are fine, you card is fine, don't worry about it.

3. w1w

w1w Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB

I find that a bit odd mind, Quake 4 at 1280x1024 with everything else set to high, gets a bit choppy in some places, dropping to around 20fps at some points.
    Whereas COD2 at the same resolution with everything else set to max runs flawlessly - no slow down at all!

As you rightly say though, the card is fine. I just find it a bit odd to say the least.
    Makes me wonder what effects F.E.A.R might have (not installed yet) :)

4. Sfolivier

Sfolivier Master Guru

GPU:
    Quake4 should be a lot faster than 20FPS at 1280x1024 on a X1950pro. Maybe it's a problem with the CPU dropping the ball? It is in any case, too low.

5. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    COD2 is very demanding both in video and sound, it's one of the games that taxes my system the most.

6. w1w

w1w Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    I'm wondering if some of the other settings and not the resolution is causing the tax.
    I have 4 xAA on with vid quality set to high and everything else turned onto "yes", including the dual core/HT optimizer option. But every now and then it goes down to 20 fps or so, not often but enough.

7. flow

flow Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 2000Mhz
    If you want real performance you should not enable AA and AF settings in your desktop environment,like in traytools or the CCC.
    Set them in your game if possible.
    Don't know if you already do,just a small tip.

8. dukedave5200

dukedave5200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 285 OCX - SLI
    You are probably running into memory limitations... With everything maxed out you are probably going over the 256MB on the video card at those 20fps spots. COD2 is hard on a system but I don't think it is a video memory hog. I could be wrong though. But what you are describing sounds like you are running out of memory, either on the video card itself, or your system ram. In either case, turning some of the extra graphics setting down a bit should help.

9. w1w

w1w Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    Thanks for the replies again.

I do indeed have the AA and Ansio settings set as "let apps decide" so that's not the problem.
    However, after faffing around with some settings, in the advanced settings (Quake 4), by switching off shadows the fps doesn't drop below 60!
    Just by switching off the shadows!? Must be the realtime nature of them or something, which is also a bit of a bonus as I can see the levels a bit better

So everything on High and at 1280x1024 without shadows, runs pretty damn smoothly. :)

10. chevro1et

chevro1et Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel GMA950 integrated
    Yea, shadows can be real hard on performance. When you get around to FEAR, make sure that you check what setting the 'soft shadows' is at, definitely... i run on low for them ;) Make sure that all your games are patched up to the latest as well.

EDIT: just looked at your hardware... another gig of ram certainly wouldn't go amiss either.

11. Sfolivier

Sfolivier Master Guru

GPU:
    "You are probably running into memory limitations... With everything maxed out you are probably going over the 256MB on the video card at those 20fps spots"

I also have 256 Mb and it's really not a problem. I can even run BF2142 and Company of heroes with the largest textures without any problem. I think 256 really starts to hurt if you go above 1600x1200, and if you use cutoms packs of insane textures (such as the customs packs in oblivion). It's not going to be a problem with a game like Quake 4.

I think that people with 512 cards like to think 256 Mb of memory is more of an issue than it really is :)

"just looked at your hardware... another gig of ram certainly wouldn't go amiss either."

The only games I've heard of that require 2 Gb for large textures are BF2 and BF2142. I used to run Doom3 maxed out on a 6800GS (same resolution) and I didn't have such low FPS (I don't think Quake 4 is really more demanding).