Odd question about GPU scaling and display scaling that has got me thinking

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Smough, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    There's this thread related to scaling on gpu vs display: https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/w...uld-i-use-display-or-gpu.344575/#post-5262064

This guy called "Prophet", 13th post, said this: "Display scaling should be more responsive. Also don't forget you need to reinstall your driver each time you change that setting. Otherwise you will get some stutters. No clean install, no uninstall/reinstall. Just install it over and have 'clean install' unticked."

He is basically saying you need to reinstall the nvidia gpu driver each time you would change that setting because, for some reason, it would get "corrupt". At least that's the idea I am getting here.

Is there any truth to any of that? Has anyone done some testing to see if there's any change from changing this option? Maybe I am getting paranoid here, but I did change this option and for some odd reason, I am noticing more microstutters in my games, changed back to "display" scaling and idk, could be that I am just getting influenced by what is a very dumb post and a random idea of someone who wants to troll, badly. But what if it holds some true? Has anyone else seen this issue reported by other people or experienced it on their own?

Thanks!

TheDigitalJedi and BlindBison like this.
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    In past week or 2 i been switch back forth between them and my game all run smooth like usual, maybe on his system there is some issue, but on my end it all fine

TheDigitalJedi and Smough like this.
  3. Nerboruto

Nerboruto Member

GPU:
    gtx750ti 1346/3306
    no need to reinstall. to solve the problem first disable the gpu from control panel hardware device, use regedit to clean all subkey in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvlddmkm\State\DisplayDatabase
    than re-enable gpu and apply new scaling setting. all correct key will be regenerated.

ps. if it doesn't make you to delete it, sets correct key permissions.
    pps. I recommend you to disable the gpu before of key clean otherwise they return mess.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
    Smough likes this.
  4. PeskyPotato

PeskyPotato Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 M
    Display Scaling is better for input latency... but, you don't need to reinstall if you change the setting.

I can see how he may have gotten that idea, though, since sometimes the Nvidia Control Panel just gets "laggy" over time. Sometimes this may also coincide with lag or stuttering when playing games, but at other times it's only present in the NVCP.

DDU and fresh reinstall of the Nvidia driver would help in that case, and so would a regular reinstall as he suggested. But the "delay" or "stuttering" felt in the NVCP is likely not due to the scaling method setting... and is rather a result of some random Windows bug or Nvidia bug.

As it's sort of random as when, or if, you will experience the issue

Smough likes this.

5. PeskyPotato

PeskyPotato Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 M
    Interesting.

Tried this and experienced no problems, it worked smoothly.Did have to re-check the display scaling method that I wanted to use in the Nvidia Control Panel after following these steps, as the options I had selected were seemingly cleared.

Not sure if it makes a difference or not... but it seems to do what he said.

Smough likes this.
  6. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I assume this can be done in Safe Mode as well to make sure nothing goes wrong, correct?

7. Nerboruto

Nerboruto Member

GPU:
    gtx750ti 1346/3306
    it is not necessary to go to safe mode just disable it because otherwise driver interferes with cleaning process. i think you could create a .bat that does all the work in an automated and fast way

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  8. BlindBison

BlindBison Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    As for the part about reinstalling the GPU driver because of the “corruption” what I saw in own testing is that enabling NIS/ GPU scaling checks the box to “override the scaling mode set by games and applications” (under scaling options tab of control panel).

If you then disable gpu scaling under the primary profile options (global tab) for some reason it does not uncheck that box which is enabled when gpu scaling was first turn on.

If you do a “reset to default” on that particular page with that “override” checkbox after turning gpu scaling off it actually resets it properly in my local tests.

My understanding is that Nvidia’s GPU scaling is “probably” a bit higher quality versus stock display scaling but it might be a hair slower, I’m not sure. Nobody’s really tested either way as far as I know so it’s all speculation to my knowledge. Though we do know NIS is higher quality than most traditional scalers.

TheDigitalJedi likes this.
  9. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 + C1 OLED
    I changed the setting multiple times just to see if there is a difference. No stutters or lack of performance is seen. Lately I've been experimenting with the DSR options and DLSS in multiple titles. I've noticed that the GPU scaling will give me black bars with certain Aspect Ratios and resolutions. Display scaling with Aspect Ratio or Fullscreen has a perfect picture in Widescreen.

My games still play fine without stutters or loss in performance. I'll play around some more and report back.

Smough likes this.
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    It been doing that since intro for DSR. That override has been on long time for every time i change drivers at somepoint i test DSR and when i done i just disable it from profiles but never reset or override on that page. I see zero difference between the override on or off though.

These days I just leave DSR x 1.78x for 1440p and set all my game on my monitor (1080p) to use that 1440p, so as when i game on TV that actual support 1440p i dont have play change the res.

Smough and BlindBison like this.