Odd Network Setup... Need Advice

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by ebucemag, Jan 23, 2010.

1. ebucemag

ebucemag Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD HD 7850 2GB Crossfire
    I am planning on getting a pay to use Wifi Signal offered by a local business ( as I really have no other option as DSL/Cable is not offered were I live). The Wifi Signal, once a connection is made, brings you to a secure web page to login and begin to use the internet.
    Anyway there is two problems I have with this setup.
    One is the signal is pretty weak and with my laptop's internal Wifi adapter it is often hard to make a decent connection. The second is the question of how I am going to share this connection with the other devices on my network.
    To solve these problem I recently ordered two routers: NETGEAR WNR3500 and NETGEAR WNR834B.
    I plan on using the NETGEAR WNR834B to amplify the wifi signal by either acting as a Repeater Bridge or as a Client Bridge Mode. I really have no prior knowledge with networking so any insight on which would be the better choice, please let me know. Haha in all honesty I don't even know if a Client Bridge Mode is even possible in this situation.
    I plan on using the NETGEAR WNR3500 as my actually router to share the wifi among my varies devices.
    So how would I go about using the WNR3500?
    Would I have to bridge two NIC's connections on one PC of mine? One NIC being connected to the WNR834B (The router in either Repeater/Client Bridge Mode) outputting the Wifi signal and the other NIC being connected via an enthernet cable into the WAN port of the WNR3500?
    Or is there a more simply way to go about this?

Thanks for your guys help, and sorry about my lack of knowledge in networking, put any input would be great.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  2. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    i currently use a client bridge set up using ddwrt and it works great BUT do not expect a better signal than your laptop. I guess you can get new antennas but dont expect much

3. magicdave26

magicdave26 Banned

GPU:
    S-HD 5770 1GB 1000 / 1400
    A simple repeater would be all you should need, put that as close to the wifi as possible, then you can connect wired or wireless to your repeater

4. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    i had these options as well and in the end, a wireless bridge was the best option with least latency. I do not recall the ability to plug into a repeater =p