Odd booting issue

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by NunsWithGuns, Dec 10, 2010.

Tags:
  1. NunsWithGuns

NunsWithGuns Member

GPU:
    evga GTX 460
    Hey there,

Wondering if you guys could perhaps offer some insight on a really weird computer problem.

My computer seems to not want to boot up 9/10 times. I'll push the power button, it will sound like its booting up, but no signal to the displays and the peripherals aren't getting booted (none of the lights coming on). Every 9/10 times or so, it'll boot normally, which is why the problem is so hard to diagnose.

I'm certain that it's not the display, or the peripherals themselves (to be sure I've tested two monitors). I've tried booting without the hard drives connected, which worked once, then didn't work the next 8 times I tried. I've also tried shifting around the RAM, fairly confident its not the issue.

I've therefore narrowed it down to the motherboard, CPU, power supply or video card. The video card I find a bit unlikely, though I can't be sure. I'm really hoping its the power supply because that will be the most inexpensive to fix. I haven't tried updating any motherboard firmware or bios etc... So I'll update if that has fixed it.

Thanks ahead of time, I appreciate the help :).