OCZ Vertex III half dead

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Aeny, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Aeny

Aeny Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6950>6970
    I've been trying to revive it the past 13hours as there are files on there that I need. But no luck so far. I'll be working further trough the night and all suggestions are welcome. Here's what happened.

I was testing windows 8 developer preview, installed the latest dropbox, rebooted -> booted until login screen -> bluescreened -> booted until bootscreen -> bluescreened -> windows recovery for 8 hours -> reboot -> black screen after BIOS.

I tried:
    - Windows installer/recovery usb: installer freezes, recovery can't find installed windows. chkdsk reports all kinds of stuff but locks up after stage 5. chkntfs says the dirty flag is set..

-Linux live usb (mint/fedora/DEFT): I can see the drive here, I can see the partitions in DEFT. However I cannot get them mounted. I can however see the size of the partitions however it cannot ID the file system on them. Perhaps this is the best angle to approach this problem?

-plugged as secondary in other pc: PC freezes while boot.

-hotplugged in secondary pc: Failed to install drivers.

-EASUS: Doesn't boot

Of course I did not backup my files.. yeah I know.. I was waiting for a second drive to arrive to back up to.. :stewpid: I'll keep this post updated...

Some help here would be hot :pc1:

~Aeny

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Could you try Parted Magic?
    It has mount-gtk preinstalled and always I was able to force mount partitions with this tool,even with half dead hard drives.
    Also Testdisk could look inside the partition,and copy the files you need.

3. Aeny

Aeny Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6950>6970
    Forgot to list Parted magic, tried the mount-gtk. Gave me an error about bad boot sector (which I tried restoring with the windows commandline more than a dozen times now).
    What is this Testdisk you speak of?

EDIT: Testdisk looks interesting, trying that now.

~Aeny

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Im guessing it's showing a red light if you look at the drive itself? It's going to be near impossible to get anything off of it sadly.

5. Aeny

Aeny Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6950>6970
    I'm in class now (C#) So I can't open my laptop up to take a look :nerd:.
    But from what I remember it was orange + green or red + green.

It got worse now btw, it gets detected by the BIOS but linux & windows can never find the disk in AHCI mode & can only seem to send 1 command in IDE mode. Then the drive locks up & becomes innacessible.

whadda ya say? RMA & hit the retailer in the head? drive is ~half year. 4300hours on time last time I checked. :pc1:

I'll look at the LED color when I get home & try OCZ toolbox.. hope it'll be magic.

Will RMA if those tests turn out negative, hopefully today.

~Aeny

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011