OCZ Vertex 4 SSD review with 1.5 firmware [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

We retest the OCZ Vertex 4 SSD yet now with 1.5 firmware update. again bringing more performance towards the Vertex 4 series of SSDs. And albeit the difference is not as big as the 1.4 release was...

More...

2. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    It was the Energizer Bunny not the Duracell Bunny. :mad:

Other than that a great review as always. :cheers:

3. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Very nice review Hilbert , That new Firmware 1.5 finally brings some good performance numbers , but the best out of this new firmware is compatibilty with many Raid Cards that were not compatible with this SSD due to Firmware Problems, now the Areca 1880-1882 , LSI 9265 , Adaptec 5805 and other Raid Cards are finally fully compatible and functional with zero problems. The Bugs has been squatch ! Thumbs Up to OCZ.

Hilbert if possible can you include a test suite using Anvil's Storage Utilities please ? , i would like to see it included in your reviews :) and would be very beneficial for us the readers , It is the best testing program for SSDs , Many oher review websites has been using it also ( Tom's Hardware , Tweaktown , thessdreview , Hardwarecanuck's , Pureoverclock and many other websites include this test suite ) , thank you in advance.

You can Download and find all the information on this great program here: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?273661-Anvil-s-Storage-Utilities

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Will look into it, did that a while ago actually, but he kept the software exclusive to one website at the time.

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thank you Hilbert :thumbup: that would be an awsome adition piece of software for your future SSDs reviews here at Guru3D , it's a free software for all and everybody its free to to use it.

6. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    ill have my hands on the OCZ Vertex 4 when prices drop a bit more like the 128GB 150$ and 256GB at 220$ then ill consider. All my $$ went for my GTX 670 which i dont regret a single bit

7. typeAlpha

typeAlpha Guest

GPU:
    ATi 7850 2GB
    Good to know this update isn't destructive, going to try it now :p

@Neo, it's a brilliant drive, like night and day compared to regular hard drive.

8. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    definitely, just a bit tight on budget now with gf, trips and house payments :D but its definitely my next upgrade

9. Stop It RAWR

Stop It RAWR Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD7850 BE
    Actually, there is also a Duracell bunny, and it was made before the Energizer one! :p

Anyway thanks for the update to the review Hilbert, hopefully OCZ can fully get over the issues they had with Sandforce and gain respect for speed and reliability with their 4th gen Vertex and Agilty SSDs.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I've owned 2x Vertex 120GB drives and 2x Vertex 2 120GB drives. I've only had a problem with 1 Vertex 2 after I accidentally spilled water on it and OCZ still replaced it for me after I told them what happened. The rest are still operating in laptops and other systems I have. As of tomorrow I'm going to have 2x Vertex 4 256's.

I know Vertex 4's are competitive, I didn't actually check if they are the fastest, but their track record with me is simply good enough for me to just buy them regardless. OCZ has treated me well with RMA's too, for both their memory and the one SSD I had a problem with. I'm a fan.