OCZ Vertex 3, what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by ekimator, Dec 6, 2011.

1. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    Hello everyone, I recently purchased and installed an OCZ Vertex 3 120GB. I used the OCZ toolbox and updated the firmware to 2.15. I just ran a speedtest and noticed I am not getting anywhere near the 550/500 speed as shown on the box. I assume I screwed up.

http://imageshack.us/f/834/ssdresults.jpg/

I installed Windows on the drive without changing it to AHSC or whatever that acronym is. I left everything on IDE. Is this the reason for my speeds? Can I switch it over now, or would I have to wipe the drive and start over?

Also, is there any way I can get steam installed onto the SSD, with the games on the HDD?

Thanks for any help. I feel like I jumped in over my head, and I'm unable to return it to newegg.

2. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I bet you have it plugged in Marvel 6Gb/s ports. Use Intel ports instead.

3. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    Are they located somewhere else on the motherboard?i only saw the 2sata 3 ports next to the 4 sata 2.

4. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    I looked it up.I'm at work so I can't check but I'm pretty sure I have it in the intel slots

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    First indeed check if you are using the Intel SATA3 controller (is much faster), secondly, you really need AHCI mode to get the better peak values.

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yep. He should indeed switch to AHCI mode ASAP. I really wonder why they even bother putting IDE mode as default...

7. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    When I Tried to switch it over before I blue screened on launch. Do I have to wipe it clean and reinstall windows? Or is there a way to switch it over now?

8. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    Here i found a link without reinstalling the OS

9. Fofal

Fofal Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    another guide right on top of your thread lol http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676

EDIT: Me and you are in the same boat :) . Why do you think the OCZ drives went down in price? because they have major issues with Intel AHCI or AHCI in general.

I just got a new system with a OCZ Agility 3 sata3, Gigabyte P67X-UD3-B3 mobo and more random stuff, memory etc.

I installed windows on IDE, then ran some tested and foundout i should be using AHCI. I actualy did a clean format on AHCI everything works fine untill you update Win7 service pack 1. After that its a blue screen nightmere. The OCZ forums are full of angry customers and OCZ keps on relaseing new firmware updates that don't really help much.

If you use the Intel AHCI with service pack 1 you might have the same problems. I have no idea why yet but i'm trying to understand for 2 days now :S I also have a marvell ahci controller on the board, I didnt try it yet but i'm sorry i didnt read more about SSD. From now on i'll read reviews only on forums where its reall not some rushed review.

Sorry for the spelling i'm just tired of reading forums and watching blue screens

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  10. Fofal

Fofal Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    Can you try to switch to AHCI with the guide and tell me what happens? we have a very similar system.

EDIT: When using P67/Z68 SATA 3 intel AHCI my comp gets blue screens and boots up only on 6-7 try after switching from AHCI to IDE in bios many times, its is wired.

I just found this: http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Solid-...eze-ups-in-Windows-7-solved-for-me/td-p/38766

I'll try to disable LPM too and see if it will help. If it wont ill be back in half an hour after my BSOD party is over again :(

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011

11. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    I will try this method tomorrow, as it's too late tonight. One thing I'm wondering, I read somewhere that if i switch to achi that I can never switch back? I'm just wondering if I try this method, and it does indeed start crashing, if i'm SoL, or if i can revert to IDE and just deal with the 400/400 speed.

12. Fofal

Fofal Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    I upgraded everything, other then my videocard. That why it was hard to tell what the problem is. I did another format and it's working for now. When you install windows make sure:
    1. AHCI is enabled in bios.
    2. have a boot USB with the intel AHCI pre install driver (from gigabyte website).
    3. install only important drivers first then start windows update. don't install anything you're not to sure about or never tried yet. (it will be easier to troubleshoot if you install them one by one, if you'll get a blue screen you'll know after which driver/update it started.
    4. do all the updates but leave SERVICE PACK 1 to last.

that's the stage i'm at right now. last time i got a blue screen after i installed the latest Geforce BETA driver. I'm going to install service pack now and see what happens. I have a feeling it's the geforce driver after all. the problem is that i used it before for only 3 hours and i didnt have any problems.

I don't really know whats going on, I could be experiencing a different issue, all my hardware is new so it could be anything.

13. ekimator

ekimator Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB
    So i used the method described in the thread above and it seems to have fixed the speeds. I'm now getting 500/550 just as advertised. My only question now is why is it hanging on "Loading operating system............" for about 30 seconds before it boots into windows. Is there any workaround for this?

14. Fofal

Fofal Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    nice :D my blue screens are gone too.

I had that too, make sure you remember to switch back to boot from SSD first in bios. You probobly still have the DVD drive first in the boot sequence. and take the cd out of the drive, so the OS won't load any CDs in boot up.