OCZ Vertex 2 with 25nm NAND flash reported slower

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

The new OCZ Vertex 2 with 25nm NAND flash seems to be sparking a bit of a debate let's first read OCZ on this: Drives are now shipping with 25nm NAND. This is the next die shrink the industry has...

More...

2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    Tony said that the size difference is from the new controller, that reserves 5gb for overprovisioning and performance drop may be a result of drive going into safe mode for a while after heavy benching, stating that the performance will go up after a while.

I don't know how much of that is really true, but:
    1. 25nm = better price
    2. They should say that it's 115GB, even when it's 120 of which 5gb is used as some kind of buffer (btw, 120GB from OCZ and 128GB from non-OCZ used to have the same size, so OCZ was more honest)
    3. They should change the product number, as it is a little different product and uses different parts (a common practice among monitor manufacturers, eg Samsung - release first batch with good screen, then switch to a worse, cheaper one without changing product number)

3. eva2000

eva2000 Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT/8800GTX/4870x2
  4. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I thought having less space than what the specs say is normal for just hard drives in general? As well as flash memory?

5. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Less space is normally attributed to the difference between 1K = 1024 bytes but hard drive mfrs use 1k = 1000 bytes.

They are removing extra space for provisioning as well!
    I see a law suit and it serves them right ;)