OCZ Filing for Bankruptcy

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Clouseau, Nov 27, 2013.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I've had a set of OCZ ram and an OCZ ModXStream power supply. The ram caused me all sorts of headaches...

2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Better headaches than it damaging other hardware. I had a (700W?) GameXStream and it blew up and took my X-Fi Xtreme Music card with it. Either that or the X-Fi XM just mysteriously died at the exact same time.

3. joe87

joe87 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 660 2GB
    lol poor ocz. but my last product of ocz is the vertex plus and i still used it on my other pc for 4 years. so far the ssd still in the good condition

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    It tooks months to finally figure out my OCZ ram was faulty.... It repeatedly passed memtest86+ with no issues both in my own and several of a friend's test builds. The system would run completely stable for days at a time, then suddenly start experiencing random BSODs for several days, then become completely stable again. Tried different power supplies, different motherboards, multiple harddrives and clean installs of XP. It was hell... I decided never to buy their ram again.

5. dshramek

dshramek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    I loved my OCZ Reaperz ram. It had those crazy heatpipes on them. Ran rock solid for over a year, until I sold them for a new build.

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    And I heard some good things about their Power Supplies.

7. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080ti GamX
    I never owner an OCZ ssd, but I did buy their RAM and a 600watt PSU that went bad.

8. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    There are different types of bankruptcy...

Chapter 7 is what most people mean when they say, "I'm filing for bankruptcy." This is a liquidation bankruptcy, which means that the trustee sells off all non-exempt assets held by the debtor so that the debts can be repaid to the fullest extent possible. Individuals, corporations and partnerships are all eligible for Chapter 7 bankruptcies.

Chapter 11 is the one that most troubled businesses file. In a Chapter 11 bankruptcy filing, the debtor continues to function, maintains ownership of all assets, and tries to work out a reorganization plan to pay off creditors.

Chapter 12 is specifically for farm owners. No point talking about that here.

Chapter 13 is like Chapter 11, but for individuals. The debtor retains control and ownership of assets. He also works out a three to five-year repayment plan.

I have a feeling OCZ is filing for Chapter 11 and is going to have a court supervised restructuring, which may require the breaking up of the company.

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    This is a technical bankruptcy, meaning business continues as usual with the difference that OCZ will become part of Toshiba. A technical bankruptcy.

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I also just learned from OCZ that Warranty procedures will continue as normal.

11. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Vega 3
    Thanks for the info Hilbert. Glad to see the OCZ brand will still be kept.

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    I still have two of their very first SSDs, the Vertex 1 (120GB).

They are still at 90% life.

Bought them in 2009.

Then again, they had a proper controller :p

13. weasel

weasel Master Guru

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Had some ram from them in the DDR2 days wich was ok.And a modstream 520 psu wich a friend mine still has after 7 years i think,and its still going.I think they lost their credibility with the high ssd failures and lost a bit their good name.Funny thing is Hilbert just reviewed a psu from OCZ.

14. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    I agree. Had zero problems with mine.

15. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    Good riddance. Worst hardware I have ever had the misfortune of buying. RAM had compatibility issues galore, SSDs (I had three Vertex 2s) all failed on me within weeks to a couple of months of purchase. Never had as many problems with any other manufacturer as I had with OCZ.

Glad to hear most of you never had any issues though and it seems they worked the kinks out by the time Vertex 3 rolled around, alas I wasn't interested in them at that point, they were on my no-buy list after the fun I had with Vertex 2s.

16. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hah yeah, the EB kept corrupting my NF7's bios. This was before dual bioses and all such fancy stuff, so I had to revive it with by hotflashing. It happened like 10 times before I gave up and upgraded to A64!

Other than that I've never really had any issues with their products. They used to be really innovative and release products aimed towards the die-hard enthusiast crowd, which was cool. The whole SSD ordeal wrecked them, it would seem...

17. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    I already wondered why my local e-tailer dropped nearly all OCZ SSDs a couple of weeks ago.