Oculus to start this week with pre-order sales Rift-glasses

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    If it's expensive and have motion sickness it will be a big fail.

Everybody can vomit for free no need to buy gimmick hardware for that.
    :puke:

3. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I had the DK2 for 2 weeks(last November) and I had used it every day in those 2 weeks period.

I had(still have them) over 40+ games/applications which I tried between that period. I even watch an entire film on it. It quite an experience if I may say.

My experience was as follow:

The first few days was a nightmare. After the initial installation/set up proccedure which was quite the trouble, I couldn't even play/use it for more than 5-10 minutes. Especially the Rollecoaster games/demos.

BUT, after some usage and getting used to it and unfortunately you must use it extensively to get used to it, the nausea/still-motion sickness or whatever people call it, was almost completely gone.

And I mean really, almost completely gone since I was able to play/game for hours without getting nauseated.

I must admit I'm not that susceptible to motion sickness, but I'm at an extent because the first Rollercoaster demo I tried(UE4 Rollercoaster) made my stomach to literally sucker punch my brain, which made me to immediately throw the DK2 from my head.

And as I said after some extensive usage(playing other less motion sickness inducing games), I got used it and even finished and kinda enjoyed the Rollercoaster demo.

And the horror games experience! Oh boy.... I love horror movies/games and let me tell you guys. Its downright the scariest s**t I played. Especially with 5.1 surround/Home theater system. Even with my HyperX Cloud II it was just omg.

Now how will the Virtual Reality tech fares in the future, only time will tell. I will probably get an Oculus or a VR Headset anyway in 2016 after seeing the proper testing/reviews and see how they managed all or atleast most of the VR quirks.

P.S: I remembered that I had used a VR Arcade Headset back in the 90's at an Amusement park which had(still does but I think) an arcade section. I remember it lookd like something the below. I cant remember if it had a controller or a gun-controller.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Personally couldn't care less. Happy preordering for the VR interested though.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Not from Oculus, their software lock on GearVR is enough, You can still side-load applications through 3rd party tools. But for general cardboard applications, you have to disconnect phone from headset which means no charging, no controls.

6. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Nausea/Motion Sickness comes from simple thing, you move your head in real world and image should move by same distance. You turn your head by certain angle and image should do same.

Your brain is wired in way that eye automatically compensates for movement of head. And if VR application does not react by moving by same angle then brain gets confused.

Mind that you have G-sensor in head too, actually 2 of them and that allows more tracking in space than just one (differentiating of inputs, one goes down, other stays or tilts or goes up).

That's why astronauts have to prepare for Zero-G, as they have to get used to have very confusing inputs from their G-Sensors.

Good software does not cause nausea by itself. But if person is someone who gets dizzy after 2 spins on chair, then such person may have hard time using any kind of VR.

8. Tripkebab

Tripkebab Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    1. Waiting for Vive
    2. Then waiting for reviews
    3. Then getting the better product. I'm hoping Vive wins out as i don't want FB forced on me in 2 years if they get market dominance.

9. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    cashing in on pre order gamers in 3...2...1

10. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I hope the price is good, that's my only issue right now, i'll be giving my development kit away to a nephew, just wish I'd donated on kickstarter as they are giving the retail kit away to original backers.

11. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    Sorry, I know about all of this. I am rather asking about personal experience with LiquidVR, because there was quite big rumor some time ago, about very low latency with LiquidVR thanks to using Asynchronous Shaders. I would like to buy some VR gear, but I am very sensitive to nausea.

12. leszy

leszy Master Guru

GPU:
    GB 7900XT Gaming OC
    PS. As an aside, exactly the point is that nausea arise because the labyrinth and the eyes give contradictory information. The faster the movement of the head, the greater the delay of image and greater contradiction of this information. Unlike many people think, this is not just only a matter of increasing the fps. Image delay can be big even at high fps. And vice versa. Up to 60 fps should be enough if the image movement delay is low. Of course, big fps can partially limit delay but only partially.

13. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    And how was it back then?
    Headaches are my worry, I can get headaches from 3D at the movies.

Something else I noticed about OR...no one talks about John Carmack nor has he had anything to say in a while since he first got on board. I'm curious what his thinking is with the tech now, what's he achieved since then, what's he been doing with OR lately...etc.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  14. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Id imagine hes enjoying the time out of the spotlight and not being a constant mouth piece like he was for all those years he carried Id Software.

15. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    Yeah its a sweet deal, definately wasnt expecting that, I filled out the form for my free rift yesterday, woohoo