Oculus Rift graphics quality, any concerns?

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by MikeG, May 11, 2015.

1. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Ok, i have gone back to the Rift recently just to try out the new update, and i have to admit, i am quite happy with what they have done, we now have better software running the rift as it seems to be a lot more solid in performence and stability, Steam VR games don't seem to take such a hit performance wise also, although i still have to use the Rift tool to disable AWS, BUT, that motion smooth update from Steam has helped big time with that, plus we also have a new VR personal space which is quite nice....... and at last we have a virtual desktop that you can use with either a controller ot the motion vr controllers and you can happily navigate your decktop from within rift, no longer need to remove the headset for non rift stuff......so i am quite happy with this update, and i even think they have improved the rift screen detail somehow, that i will have to look more into but it seems somewhat better to me.

But yeah, if like me you have had your rift boxed away, it might be time to gt it back out and give it a go with this latest update.

2. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I know so little about VR but I just bought my son (14) an Oculus Rift Touch for XMAS. They're down to $349 on the Oculus site and I saw them hit $329 on amazon last week. He has wanted a headset forever and he just got a new PC for his birthday that meets the specs. (i3/8gb/gtx1060)

I couldn't seem to find info on any new VR headsets releasing anytime in the near future that would obsolete what we have on the market now. Did I miss something?

Tips for the new user? I almost bought a 3rd sensor but I will wait to see if he even needs it. Is anyone wall mounting the sensors or just propping them up on stands? I saw wall mounts for sale.

3. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Two sensors are plenty, although i would connect it up to the pc and make sure it works as the rift is very particular about usb ports, and i mean very particular, mine passed all the tests but would simply not work with my mobo usb ports, so i had to buy a pci-e card and that solved all my usb issues, so might be a good idea to check it all out, assuming you have not already.

4. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I'll have him bring his new PC over to my house (it's at Mom's) so we can make sure it works properly when he gets this Rift. His PC here has a 780Ti which is otherwise great, but no go for VR.

Finally, a (silly) reason for me to upgrade (and give him my 1070). Not that I'm interested in the 20xx $erie$... Those new AMD cards sound intriguing though.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    GTX1060 should be more than ok, i was using the rift wth a gtx970 at the start.

As for the rift setup, if you can get both sensors into two usb 3.0 ports that would be best, the headset itself can go into a usb 2.0 port, that is my setup, i did have the headset in a usb 3.0 port but i seem to have more tracking issues with everything in usb 3, so i think it might be a bandwidth issue when everything is using only usb 3.0.......but you can mix and match and see what your setup prefers. ;)

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
  6. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I was just looking at the list of "meets recommended" specs video cards on the Oculus site. His 780Ti is on there. It's the only 7 series. (I thought the 7 series lacked some feature for VR) It's a pretty old rig with a 1st gen i7 860 and 8gb of ram but it's no slouch. I think it has a few USB 3.0 ports. That might do for VR.

Perhaps his rig here is close or already up to snuff. That would be nice. But with as finicky as it sounds with the USB ports... Maybe we'll get lucky. :cool:

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    The 780ti is about equivalent to the 970, but they are base min for vr, the i7 860 is also bare min, but the only way to find out is connect it all up and see if the rift likes it, will be quite interested to hear how this goes, the rift is as you say, very picky to say the least, mine passed all those tests beforehand but when it came to actually getting it all working it was a complete pig, just did not like my mobo and it's ports for some reason, but good luck. ;)

8. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    It should be here next Tuesday and it will be an early gift when he arrives. We'll try it on a few of the PCs here. I may even try it on my laptop (i5 / gtx950 / 8gb) but I suspect that's too tall an order for it.

I'll report back how it does on them. I'm curious as well.

XP-200 likes this.
  9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I just dug my rift out again and repaired the right earphone as it has been faulty for a while now, to gave it another go because the Rift recently got a update to it's software, and i have to say it is not too bad at all, the software seem to not eat up as much resources as before, and you can now access your desktop in VR,which is very nice, with either motion controllers or a joypad, so you no longer need to take off the headset when looking at your desktop, plus Elite Dangerous also got a update and the have fixed the text in the game and now you can read almost everything, which again was much needed, so yeah i think the Rift i going to get some love again. lol

Now to try Euro truck sim 2 and American Truck sim, and if they are running better with that rift update then it looks like i will be trucking on the road and in space right into 2019. lol

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Right. Driving sims. I have a Logitech G920 wheel/pedals (that gets sporadic use). I should probably try this thing out on some racing/driving games while it's over here. Hopefully he lets me touch it. :p

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    One more thing i want to add, do yourself a favour and pop onto amazon and buy a pack of healsheild 44mm curved watch face protectors, these work great on the rift, you get 3 in a pack, 13 quid, and you really want to have them on that rift from day one, and believe me when i say the peice of mind you get from them is great, the rift lenses are made of a soft material and with use they will get very dirty from skin, sweat and hair, and they cannot be cleaned with normal cleaning stuff, a micro fibre cloth is included and that is your whack for cleaning, and you can't use any paper or fibrous cleaning material because they will eventually scuff and scratch those lenses, and if anyone using it wears glasses then these are a must become the frames of said glasses will make those lenses look like Freddy Kruger cleaned them.....so if you want to keep those in pristine condition, and you do, grab a pack of these, you will be happy you did in the long run.....i have them on all three head sets. ;)

12. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Good to know. I'll have to find some of those. Thanks for the heads up.

13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    So I'm going to have to get one of these, that much is clear. Don't even need to convince the missus as she said so first as she and my son set it up while I was at work. He really likes it.

I played the stuff it came with and bought all 3 of us Star Trek (thought it was only for VR, I was wrong). I tried all of those and it's very impressive. I ended up buying Project Cars 2 again last night (bought and refunded on release) so I'd have a good VR game to try when my son returns with the Rift on New Year's. Both of those are/were on big sales so I figured, why not? I need to try this headset with a wheel/pedals.

14. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeap, once you try vr there is no going back, welcome to the dark side.

15. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Indeed. Tried it again last night. The immersion in a driving game is perfect for VR, especially with a wheel. The resolution could be better but the overall experience is quite good. Pretty much no need for a triple wide monitor racing setup if all the racing games would support using a headset.

I find myself searching for VR content on steam now. I think I'm going to buy LA Noire VR (50% off -$15) since I could never get it working on Windows 8/10 anyways and I can finally play it.
    Even if it is a buggy POS, it sounds perfect for VR. :D

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Grab Pinball FXVR tables on steam, they are on sale right now, then go to the Oculus store and grab the stern pinball app, you get two free vr tables with that.......but there is a lot of free stuff for you to try on the rift store, try Don't knock twice.......plus must have vr games...
    Elite Dangerous. Be inside the movie 2001, but with space trucks.
    Superhot VR. You are in the matrix
    Arizona sunshine. Best vr zombie game to date.
    Euro truck sim 2 Deliver beans to Aldi....what more needs to be said.
    American Truck sim. Deliver beans to walmart. Lol
    Serious sam bundle The best vr fps that works perfectly with the motion controllers.

17. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Get Dirt Rally, it is easily the best driving experience in VR (if you like Rally obviously).

18. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Appreciate the heads up on the titles. I'll have to get my own Rift soon (So I don't need to bum my kids' when he's here). I can still start gathering VR games (watching for sales) in the meantime.

BangTail likes this.
  19. dentomanan

dentomanan Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Should I buy VR in 2020? Are there any good games?

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I few games i think personally make VR the only way to play them.....and once you do, you can never go back to a standard monitor.
    SkyrimVR, Borderlands 2 VR, Eurotruck sim 2+ American truck sim, Elite Dangerous, Superhot VR, Beat Saber, Fallout 4 VR...those are a few off the top of my head that i still play today.

SSJBillClinton likes this.