Oculus Rift consumer version announced

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I will be interested in this for racing games hope there will be proper head tracking.

2. Ven0m

Ven0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080M
    This controller appears to be very similar to Sixense/Razer Hydra:
    [​IMG]

The overall shape is similar, and hat/button placement virtually the same.

3. Fierce Guppy

Fierce Guppy Active Member

GPU:
    2 x GTX 980 / 4GB
    Oh, God no! The console controller must have been Zuckerberg's idea. He looks like a bloody school kid.

4. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Before it was released I got to play on one for a little while... it was awkward to say the least but people who weren't born at that time can't understand that it was actually not that horrible back then. In terms of innovation I mean, in terms of comfort it was definitely horrible. :wanker:

I wanted an Oculus until Facebook bought it. The project died that day as far as I'm concerned.

5. AMDFreeSync

AMDFreeSync Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon R9 390 8GB
    I hope the headphone are removable, if not no buy for me. i know from past experience because i use to own a Sony HMZ-T1 that had headphones build in & you can't remove it.

6. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    I'm surprised no one is mentioning this, but Windows 10 exclusive? What the hell is that about?

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I think it is for wireless video transfer feature. Because standard drivers will always get from W10 to W8.1/7 unless there is special effort preventing it.

8. dragonlord

dragonlord Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Beta Tester
    I suspect that the MS HoloLens will be superior to all of these when it comes to wearing them for long times without motion sickness, etc. Time will tell.

9. Groomer

Groomer Member

GPU:
    w8 b4 h8

There are next to no games available, and the hardware was meant for developers only, so of course you get bored of it.
    You bought a dev kit and expected a consumer experience.

In my opinion, 3D is the least appealing aspect of it, perhaps because I can't see 3D. People always want larger/more monitors, VR will go beyond that by putting the game(or whatever) wherever you look.

Sadly I think many games will be developed as exclusives, like a lot of Nintendo games are now. However, Epic has taken the initiative, making it easy to support multiple HMDs in Unreal Engine 4.

---

I think VR has a lot of potential, but only if done right. I will be waiting for reviews after the releases of the Rift and Vive before I throw my money.

10. Foonus

Foonus Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070SC

11. Humanoid_1

Humanoid_1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 X Trio
    Would be pretty cool to try that out :)