October 25th last 400 series drivers C'mon Nvidia

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by RagDoll_Effect, Dec 9, 2010.

1. N3MBOT

N3MBOT Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280xoc
    dont mind what you quoted , that guy hasn´t got a clue.

the Fermi architecture is rather new and Nvidia only now seems to have managed their drivers to make this work as intended , a couple more days and all this bad things will go away. :banana:

2. anthonyda

anthonyda Member

GPU:
    470 GTX SOX
    Well actually I might suffer from this problem too.
    I'm still on 7 x86, and maybe going the 64bits version of the OS will solve my problem (especially since the GPU Memory is huge compared to my old 8800gt).

3. N3MBOT

N3MBOT Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280xoc
    going 64 bits is always a good thing IMO , im running win7 x86 myself but im planning a format C: to change to 64 bit as soon as i get some good drivers for the card, cant be arsed to do it right now with so much testing going around.

4. Luumpy

Luumpy Master Guru

GPU:
    470gtx s/c
    "Its rather new"? Really smart ass? Nvidias already moved one to the second "Fermi" series of cards and still havent fixed the 1st.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    What issues, as most people i speak to are happy with the 470/480, most of the complaints are from 460 owners, and i have my own theory on that anyway.

It might sound harsh, but i wouldn't be suprised to see less and less support for the GTX400 series, will still be supported like the GT200 cards are now, but priority will be the new cards.

6. N3MBOT

N3MBOT Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9 280xoc

a technology that is around for 6 months is old?

i bet you´re one of those who calls a C2Q an ancient CPU...

get a clue , and you come talking about FERMI 2 ? that´s not even out of the paper... if that even exists.

you shouldn´t be alowed to own a computer...

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  7. steelcowboy

steelcowboy Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570's SLI
    I dunno whats wrong with your 400 series card but mine are fine(single card and sli)if you want something to whine about go buy a ati which is what i did before.My 2 460 gtx's eat my 5970 alive with no micro stutter.

8. Hayden202

Hayden202 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI-TF560ti 2GB - SLI
    The answer to all of this is simple. A third GPU developer---PLEASE COME BACK 3DFX!!!

9. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

wtf? No... you are misinformed. ATI promised drivers every 30 days. NVIDIA promised no such thing.

NVIDIA has always released a driver that only supports the new product at a product's launch, then all follow-on drivers support all cards. This is nothing new, stop pretending like there have been multiple drivers without support for cards older than the latest product released.

The reason they do it is to get lots of testing on the one product, and be able to release the driver on schedule with the product launch. This way they don't have to test all the other generations and products before launching a certified driver. After they get a driver with support for the new product out, they always tie the drivers together and release a unified driver shortly after with support for all products.

If that weren't the case, you wouldn't still see all the drivers that came out this year with 6 and 7-series support would you?

10. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    For me it's 2 early to say but gut instinct tells me even though I lost fps from switching out my 5870's games run smoother on my 580.

Wow seems to run quite a bit slower but then I have everything on ultra so I might have whacked up the effects. Certainly it looks and runs amazing. However I would have to stick back in my 5870's 2 test. Which am tempted to do just out of curioristy.

In terms of res evil 5 benchmark am getting the best+smoothest results ever.

At first I loved xfire but then every driver since 10.5 seemed to **** up some game or another. Also i stopped using driver sweeper and just used twl's ati **** cleaner. I still had failed installs or infs missing for some reason.

Did a fresh install and still had issues when reverting back to an older driver or installing a new one.

Sykosis has a point but I think it's somewhat exagerrated. Next driver release will be interesting to see what happens.

I'll most likely use driver sweeper when changing out drivers next up...Nvidia owners can inform me otherwise...

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    50%? Not sure where you get that number considering until I got this 460, I didn't have a single complaint. In fact, you might find a half dozen posts from me complaining about driver issues....and they're all in regards to image quality. In the ATI section, you might find a dozen posts about driver issues over the last 2.5 years....and most, if not all, of those would be in regards to ATI fixing and breaking Avivo Converter.

12. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    3DFX is NVIDIA.LOL

13. H-Ackermans

H-Ackermans Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX550Ti
    Not really, and you know that. nVidia bought 3DFX and only used the SLI-info to work out their own SLI version.

Other than that, 3DFX and nVidia were 2 completely independent companies, the one bought the other, but they didn't really merge at all. 3DFX just vanished.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    It was never intended to be a merger...from the start it was nothing but a corporate buyout. nVidia bought 3DFx intellectual property in whole.... Rights to the logo, the research, the technology....everything. After the buyout was complete, the 3DFx name and ALL property (intellectual and physical) belonged solely to nVidia to do with as they wished. It worked the same way as the VIA buyout of Cyrix.... AMD and ATI actually merged...

15. gstanford

gstanford Member

GPU:
    2x Galaxy GTX670 2gb ref
    nvidia did not purchase 3DFX, they purchased some of 3DFX's intellectual property, and in a seperate deal offered some 3DFX engineers employment at nvidia.

Of those engineers, some worked on nv3x and some worked on nv40 (Robert Killgarrif a senior 3DFX engineer was lead designer for nv40). This freed up nvidia's own engineers to work on XBOX, nForce and g80.

Anyone who ever wanted a 3DFX Rampage, nv40 (Geforce 6800) is as close as you will ever get to it.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010

16. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI

this is a very interesting information my friend :)

and iam a very sorry that i bought a 480..makes alot of heat, sound...and 580 is out..and nvidia dont put drivers on the table...damn.

17. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    I fell your pain, I bought 2 470 GTX cards in October, and the lack of fixes/drivers is extremely poor. Looks like we are paying for the mistakes of the 400 series.

18. smith10210

smith10210 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX580
    I just got a deal on a new Arctic xtreme Plus with the Vr004 kit for $12.50 i couldn't pass it up but anyway it lowerd my 480 temps 20C at idle and almost 25c gaming and benchmarking and it is silent at 100% fan speed. I think there about $70 with the vr004 kits new its worth it.

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    checked online and local stores websirte for it..cant find it here..thanx anyway...probably i will try to sell this and buy a 580 or something better meanwhile appears.

20. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    That's definitely the case for me.

The games that ran faster on two HD 5870 were in excess of 60 fps anyway and since I prefer v-sync enabled I'm not seeing any difference in the maximum framerates outside of benchmarks. It also feels like the minimums are higher in some case too as games feel perceptively smoother. Also, I noticed that Blur no longer pauses for a split second on the Russian Hill San Francisco track.

And those games that run under 60 fps such as Metro 2033, ArmA II and Crysis Warhead, well they run just as smooth as they did with two ATI cards, only I can have more AA thanks to the extra video memory (particularly in the latter two games).

All in all it really doesn't seem like I've downgraded at all, just switched two cards for a single one and ditched all the issues I had along with them. :)