OC'ing Q9550s

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Gheed, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    BIOS counts, the others include Vdroop

2. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    I've got 4.2 Ghz with 1.28v fully stable, I can take it upto 4.6Ghz @1.4v but would need water cooling then, which I can't be arsed with.

3. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Seriously 4.6Ghz! Thats insane!! You'd need a 541Mhz FSB to achieve this, is that using your DFI X48?

And only 1.4v just seems to good to be true lol Not trying to say your lying dude but would really love to see a screenie :)

Im at 1.32500v for 3.87Ghz, mind you i'm gonna do some tweaking over the weekend to bring this down, hoping to drop to 1.30000v

4. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    I know it's not exactly the same chip because of the x9 multi but stepping A rev E0 Q9650 with 1.275 VID here and I can boot @ 550mhz fsb tweaking my 12v rail, but can't do anything higher on air. 551 mhz no boot.
    I'm running 4.5Ghz (500x9) @ 1.425v bios (1.39v real) for a year now and so far so good. Hardly going higher than 64C° @ full in summer with an IFX-14 (with two enermax magma fans) + IFX-10. IHS and IFX-14 are lapped.

I can bench @ 4.7Ghz. All on aircooling for sure.

There's many golden chips in the high VID E0 quads. Low VID chips needs less volts but runs much hotter. It's a pretty paradox.

On a P5Q dlx I did not be able to go higher than 4Ghz and with many memory stability isues.
    On an old P5K pro I did 4.3Ghz fully stable but too few settings to go higher.
    I can't find at this time a better motherboard for 45nm quads than P45 UD3P/R series from gigabyte when it comes to overclocking. And god knows I'm an Asus guy.

5. ross

ross Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond R9 290X 4GB
    Xiggy Dark Knight!!!1

Wow thanks for the info about low VID and high VID E0 quads. My Q9550 has a VID of 1.2875v - I did overclock this Q9550 to 471 x 8.5 = 4004 Mhz and I didn't see a dramatic increase in temps versus my current clock at 3400 Mhz.

However, when I took this Q9550 E0 to 471 x 8.5 = 4004 Mhz I needed 1.4v vcore (in BIOS), and even then it wasn't completely stable.

Last week when I did 471 x 8.5 I had my old Xigmatek HDT-964 CPU cooler (92mm w/ bolt-thru kit) . Now I have a Xigmatek Dark Knight (120mm w/ bolt-thru kit). My idle temps and load temps at 3400 Mhz have dropped almost 10C.

Is it now possible that I could reach the 4004 Mhz OC with lower voltage? Surely my temps would be better at 4004 Mhz now, but could this also mean I need lower voltage?

6. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    Yes it can be of good help. I know my Q9650 for example don't like anything past 72C°. If one core hit 72C° I can be pretty sure I'll have instability.
    It's something you can find with almost all 45nm quads. ~70C° is the max acceptable to keep stability in any case.

Another thing : you have to know that the key for a high overclock on 45nm quads (also valable for 65nm quads but with a reduced impact) is in tweaking clock skews and GTL. The big problem I had to go past 4.3Ghz on the P5K pro was the lack of advanced tweaking of GTL refs.
    It's many hours of trying and searching what works or not or not fully. But if you have the settings and the mind for it, you'll at last find the almost absolute settings for you actual hardware.

But yeah, better cooling can help to lower voltage. :D

7. ross

ross Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond R9 290X 4GB
    Thanks for more great info Ti3Kob.

Over at Tweak Town forums (official support for Gigabyte Mobo's), lsdmeasap's "official" P45 BIOS template recommends this -

CPU Vcore….……….........................:Auto if not overclocking, if you are overclocking please do find and set your own voltages

CPU Termination…..... 1.200V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much. Optimal range for overclock would be 1.2-1.5 depending on Vcore, try to keep at least .1 under vcore. Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU PLL…………………....1.500V*.......: << If overclocking Please set to stock, Auto overvolts this way to much. Optimal range for overclock would be 1.5-1.65. Auto is fine if not overclocking

CPU Referen.…………....0.755V*.......: <<< .64% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly

CPU Reference2………,,0.800V*.......:<<< .67% Of Vtt (Termination above) Auto Will set this correctly

Ti3Kob, did you ever read lsdmeasap's guide on how to setup CPU/MCH GTL ref. voltages? http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/how-setup-cpu-mch-gtl-ref-voltages-vs-easytune-29746/

I want to keep a 4Ghz OC on my Q9550. I know it is possible to reach 4Ghz no problem, but I'd like to make it run as efficient as possible (which requires the right VTT, CPU PLL, and advanced tweaking of GTL refs).

Ti3Kob, do you have any more good suggestions or tips? I'm probably going to start working on this OC next week during spring break - I got 3 exams in the next 3 days, so not much time this week. Your info given has definitely pointed me in the right direction though.

8. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Ti3Kob thats some great info there, your right the Giga boards you mention are no doubt the best for OC'ing these quads. I do feel i can get more out of this P5Q-E mobo, but like you also mentioned i think its gonna require playing with Skews and GTL's which seem kinda complicated to me lol

However i'll give it my best, looking for 4.25Ghz really, not sure i'll get much if anymore out of this.

As for temps the highest i've hit is 73C on one of the cores, running LinX 0.6.4 i think set on High for 20 Runs. May see about replacing my H50 and get a highend Air Cooler for now, wanna get a proper WC setup in the future.

But im gonna work on lowering my Vcore from 1.32500v soon, may start 2morrow morn.

9. Ti3Kob

Ti3Kob Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti @1505/7600
    I did read many guides and lsdmeasap's one too. The theory is the base of everything.
    The reality is a bit more complicated. Even if the motherboards and CPUs are all manufactured with the same base, they are far from equal. Every overclocker know that you can take two CPUs even from the same batch, and they can clock totally differently with the same hardware. The same thing happens with every part of our computers.

The motherboard is a large piece of hardware and we can find many differences between two of the same model. Clock skews are independent from the motherboard. You can't give your clock skew settings to anyone with the same motherboard since it is in fact NOT the same motherboard :D

With all that in mind, you can then start to read the guide(s) with an other eye, more accurate in a way, and more lost in an other way.

All this speech to say you have to know the theory, the voltages "security" limits, and all. BUT you'll have to find what your hardware likes the best.

In fact the theory and guides are here to give you a work basis. It's all to you to develop it after that.

Personally not even a setting is on auto in my bios regarding overclocking. You have to take the control. I can give you my rules, but it's just my rules, and you can find one to broke to gain "golden overclock" with your hardware.

On a 45nm quad for 24/7 on air:

Vcore @ 1.45v max (real)
    CPU Term / VTT @ 1.44v max
    PLL @ 1.50 is fine even for pretty high overclocking, 1.61v max
    For the CPU refs, going from .63 and .67% of VTT is good, but you can find a few steps just above to be more stable, or steps just under. Don't go too far away from the base anyway (+/- 10% difference maximum)

CPU / NB skews takes hours to find because they change with different fsb or strap.. it's a pain but can fully stabilize a no-boot case (pretty incredible when it comes :banana:)

~70C° @ full load (all up to you to choose what is "full load")
    75C° at absolute maximum

Tweaking memory perf level (trd) is something to do too (ouhou yaha ?).
    Too high or too low can cause a no-post. You have to find the best value with the actual fsb and NB voltage.

DDR voltage is important too because it changes memory term voltage of the NB.

I think I said almost what I wanted, even if it's confuse.
    Maybe I should write a guide too ^^

If you have any question you can PM me too.

(Sorry if all isn't so clear. I definitely have to work my english :p ... and sleep.. it's late in France !)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2010
  10. izikog

izikog Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6950@70 910/1400
    now I see every time one of my cores hits 70°C I got instability... I know I have to keep it way lower... but was frustrated that the cpu could not be stable at those temps even for 1 minute

11. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Necroing a thread instead of making a new one:

What do you guys think of a revision C1 q9550? I've had mine running at 1.312v at 440x8 for 3.74ghz but am looking to step it up a bit more. Aiming for 4ghz. 1.312v seems high for only 3.74, but it's stable. I've tried lowering the volts and it just won't work right.

---
    would also like to note that I upped my northbridge volt a little. Can't remember in the top of my mind, but I'm sure it was only by .1 or .2 at most.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  12. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    im @ 1.31750 for 3,65 so your lucky you dont need that much tbh

13. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Hmmm.. have you done any NB volt increases?

14. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Just up the FSB incrementally until it doesn't boot, then up the Vcore a couple notches at a time until you get in to windows, when u do up the FSB again and so on. If it doesn't stay stable then up a different Voltage, Vtt would be the one i did next.