1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OC'ing, more mem or core mhz?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by The Kyle, Aug 11, 2005.

1. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD3870 / Radeon HD
    I just recently got an msi geforce 6600gt and isntalled a zalman 700 fan and arctic silver which reduced it from about 55-60 idle and 75-80 load to 40-45 idle and 50-55 load. Before I could only overclock to about 540 core and 1130 mem but with the new fan and a.s. I'm sitting at 570/1175. The one thing I'm a little confused about is that my 6600gt doesnt seem to want to go over that 570 core mark or it becomes unstable but I've seen ton of people easily go above 600. I can get my core to about 575 or 580 at most but I have to drop my mem down a TON and it doesn't seem to work out in my favor in the benchmarks. Right now I'm pretty sure oc'ing right is getting a good mix w/o having the sacrifice core or mem alot but I just wanted to hear what the pros have to say. :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  2. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
  3. kool_moo

kool_moo New Member

GPU:
    MSI Radeon HD 4550 1GB
    I know I'm not a pro or anything (actually I guess I could be called a "n00b") but I know all cards are different and each have their own limits, even if they are the same model. So maybe your's just has a lower limit than others'? And what does "bump" mean? :)

4. Ayune

Ayune Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 6800GT 256mb (AGP)
    Th3kyle, if you want to OC your 6600GT that high you must change your VGA bios to raise the voltage of your 6600GT for overclock stability. Use "seacrh this forum" to find the older thread about VGA voltmod bios flash. Be careful, voltmod bios flash is a permanent overclock so its your own risk.

5. The Kyle

The Kyle Banned

GPU:
    I've been reading up alot on volt modding the bios and I think I'll pass on that. It seems like an pointless big risk for only a few more mhz in the core. From what I've seen, more than half the people modding my same card to do the same thing are coming up with a fried or broken card....

6. Xaser04

Xaser04 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti
    I wouldn't bother volt modding your card. It isn't worth the chance of killing it for a few extra fps.

If you can play the games at the settings you want then I would leave it.

:)

7. Drunkenmasta

Drunkenmasta Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB GTX 260 OC + Acer 26"
    Yep I agree, I can clock fine with my card and there is no need for mine to be @ Ultra volts (1.4v). Your better off leaving it unless you wish to conduct an experiment and see how long your 6600 GT lasts :p

Hope this helps,

pz out!

8. thecake90

thecake90 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1060GTX
    I agree

9. MetalFox

MetalFox Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 DCII

(1,4V) ? oh :) i can put about 1,8V to my card.

and yes every card is a own person actually even if they're from same producer like Bfg or gainward they're all unique :)
    some clock some dont

10. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    no you cant lol i didnt know the agp 8x/4x bus had that much voltage able to give :p DONT if you can though or boom. i have my ultra running at 1.5v and its overclocked fine, bascially keep pushing until you get game artifacts or it freezes. then the choice is yours, either lower your oc abit or volt mod and maybe go abit higher if stable again. personally i tend to overclock the mem more as that tends to be less of a temp problem. i think my ultra stock was 450/1100 :p now its at 470/1400. i will prob try to push the core to 500 maybe.

11. MetalFox

MetalFox Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 DCII
    yeah it seems that it has. nah i dont need that much voltage but just saw the option there.
    im running it @ 1,6V and works perfectly :)

yeah clocking the ram gives card more bus to use so it's more effective in some cases.. consider buying small ramsinks thou they dont cost very much.

hmm.. if anyone would tell if ramsinks help anything ? i dont have personal experience from those, but i've been thinking to buy some :)

12. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    that 1.6v you see in the bios is the AGP voltage, not your GPU core voltage. thats what you mod in a bios flash.