OC'ing issues with the GTX285?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Prefetian, Mar 14, 2010.

1. Prefetian

Prefetian Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX285
    Hi there, I seem to have a bit of a problem and I'm not sure what to do about it.

I've got an XFX GTX285 and I've been trying to OC it a couple of times now but failed. As soon as I go over stock and start playing 3d games I get alt-tabbed into desktop and then back into the game. When this happens the clockspeeds go down to either low 3D performance or 2D performance.
    I've been googling around to see if I can find an answer but I've only managed to find obsuce answers to my problem.

I've got a 650W TruPower Antec PSU so I'm worried that might be the problem, that the card just isn't getting enough power. I also have to mention that I've OC'd my AMD x4 from 3GHz to 3.5Ghz.

2. YuKsS

YuKsS Guest

GPU:
    Asus gtx 1070 strix oc
    men my psu (antec tru power 550w, 42amp total)were delivers power for two gtx260 in sli, and now a have a single bsf gtx285 ocx.. you psu is the same like mine with extra 100watts and extra amp (19amp per line) so is not your psu..

3. Prefetian

Prefetian Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX285
    Hmmm...that's weird then.

I have no ide why it keeps "down clocking" itself as soon as I go over the stock speeds.
    And if you have basically the same PSU as I do yet that doesn't happen to you then perhaps there's just something wrong with the GFX-card. o_O

I also did some further digging and it said somewhere that I should flash the BIOS on the card so that if the card switches to either 2D performance or Low 3D performance the clockspeeds should remain the same as high performance 3D. Problem is I have no idea how to do so, and if there's a special BIOS revision I would need to flash it with.

I'm at my wits end with this because I'm able to push the card quite abit without any real temperature increase (65 celcius at full load) and without any werid artifacts popping up onscreen. :(

4. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I think you can set "prefer maximum performance" in control panel. Then your clocks will always stay at "max 3D clocks"

5. civato

civato Guest

GPU:
    2xGTX570 sli on H2O EK
  6. Prefetian

Prefetian Member

GPU:
    XFX GTX285
    Thank you for the answers guys, much appreciated.

After getting some other tips it seems that the problem is connected to the shader core clockspeeds.
    If I set the shader core clockspeed above 1512 the card reverts back to other speeds (underclocking itself), however if I keep it at around 1512 and raise both core ROP and the memory clock I can keep going quite far. So far it's at 713/1512/1332 and going stable.

I am however little uncertain what the core shader actually does and how important it is to gain performance.