OC scanner fails to start for GTX 2080Ti if Zotac GT710 is present as secondary GPU

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by voldemarz, Oct 17, 2019.

1. voldemarz

voldemarz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 ti
    I have PC with MSI x570 motherboard and 2 GPUs - Palit GeForce GTX 2080 Ti in primary PCie x16 slot and Zotac GT710 in bottom x16 slot. OS is Windows 10 v1903 build 18362.356.

The problem is that if GT710 GPU is installed MSI After burner fails to start OC scanner for 2080 TI and results in the following messages:
    21:19:06 Connected to MSI Afterburner control interface v2.3
    21:19:08 GPU2 : VEN_10DE&DEV_1E04&SUBSYS_1E0410DE&REV_A1&BUS_45&DEV_0&FN_0
    21:19:08 Memory clock +0MHz
    21:19:08 Overvoltage 0 %
    21:19:08 Power limit 100%
    21:19:08 Thermal limit 84 °C
    21:19:08 Fan speed 1 Auto
    21:19:08 Fan speed 2 Auto
    21:19:08 Start scanning, please wait a few minutes
    21:19:08 Failed to start scanning!

If GT710 is removed from PC, OC scanner works fine. I assume it is Nvidia driver problem and have reported this to them, but they told me to contact you. I am still in conversation with them to understand why they think it is not driver problem.

The problem has also been verified to happen on second clean install of Windows OS with only with latest drivers installed.

Any idea what's wrong? I contacted Nvidia support assuming that OC scanner is part of driver functionality, but they are saying to contact creator of Afterburner.

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I'm afraid only NV can hep you with that. Afterburner's job in this task is to set up scanner API and pass target GPU index and initial scanning parameters (memory clock offset, overvoltage %, thermal and power limits and fan speeds) to driver's scanning component. The rest is done by driver and proprietary NV scanning library. GPU identification info and initial scanning parameters displayed in MSI AB's log look absolutely valid for 20x0 family card. Something is broken further in drivers' component. There is native NVIDIA scanner log somewhere in user documents folder, ask NV for exact location of it and provide it to them, it will probably help them to nail down the problem.

voldemarz and BuildeR2 like this.
  3. voldemarz

voldemarz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 ti
    Thanks. You said pretty much what I expected. I have contacted Nvidai as well. This is what they answered:
    "Unfortunately we can't do anything with afterburner, precision, or how they implement OC scanning. It isn't something directly supported by us"

It seems that given agent is not really aware how OC scanner works. I will forward them your answer.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

@ManuelG Can you file a bug for this?

5. Unwinder

@voldemarz

Found location of NVIDIA's generic scanner API log, it is in c:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\NVIDIA Corporation\Scanner
    Try to peek there, probably it will give you some hints and submit log contents to NV.

6. voldemarz

voldemarz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 ti
    Thanks! Weirdly no new logs get created if I try to run scanner now, but there are some 2-3 weeks old from my earlier attempts. On main OS there is one folder "0" where scanner/stressor worked, and folder "1" where scanner failed. On second OS there is just folder "0" with working scanner logs. Apparently newer driver stopped logging there. Currently on version 436.48.

This is how failing scanner log looks:

OC Initialized
    KValueIterator initialize()
    ScanTimer initialize
    Recording card capabilities.
    Memory offset falls out of range of acceptable values
    NVAPI ERROR, Error code: -104
    NVAPI ERROR message: NVAPI_NOT_SUPPORTED
    Card doesn't support temperature limits.
    Card doesn't support checking power limit
    Card doesn't support temperature limits.
    Shutting down scanner.
    RESET

Here is log for scanning which completed on primary OS is here http://ge.tt/2OYdfqy2
    Here is log for scanning which worked on secondary OS, but was canceled by me http://ge.tt/1pglfqy2

7. Unwinder

Those logs can be useful for NV, not for me, sorry.

8. voldemarz

voldemarz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 ti
    Sent to NVidia as well.Though maybe something like "Memory offset falls out of range of acceptable values" will be relevant to you as well.
    Is Afterburner code public somewhere? I am a developer and would be curious to take a look.

9. Unwinder

It is not public of course. And no, offset 0 is not out of range.

10. voldemarz

voldemarz Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 ti
    Nvidia confirmed this as a bug. Also I found a workaround in disabling GT710 in Device Manager. After that OS scanner immediately works.

Meanwhile MSI support responded with this nonsense:
    GT710 and RTX2080ti can not be installed on the same motherboard at the same time, the GPU type of the two graphics cards is not the same, GT710 is not overclocking, so MSI afterburner OC scanning is not detected GT710 graphics card, your two graphics cards can only be used separately

11. Unwinder

Congrats, hope NV will fix it fast and it won't require to include new scanner binaries in software.

12. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Is the 710 even supported in the latest drivers, just wondering why you would want to run a £30 gpu in the same system as a £1000+ gpu.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    The Kepler 710 works fine beside a 2080ti,

whether theres a point to it is arguable.....