OC + fan control software on a standard account

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Michalko, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Michalko

Michalko Member Guru

GPU:
    a good one
    Hi, do you know any software, which allows for OC and fan control and works on a standard account, not an admin account? By works I mean automatically applying my settings on startup. I tried MSI Afterburner and ASUS GPU Tweak, neither works. MSI Afterburner works when I create a task as NT/System, but I can´t use it like that. Thanks!

2. readonly

readonly Member

GPU:
    Leadtek LE TD GF4 TI4200 128MB O/C'd to 305/550
    What is the exact issue you encounter with the scheduled task?

Edit3: See my post below, I will leave this just for the info.

Edit2: Seems microsoft patched the below method out so you can try it but it may not work anymore.

Edit: I will just assume its because the program is invisible to your user when it runs as the nt/system account via the task? Here is one way to get around what you are encountering, there may be some other method that is more simple that people use for afterburner and standard accounts but here goes anyways.

-Create a scheduled task that runs as an administrative account with highest privileges. Have it run the program you want with no trigger set at all.

-To allow your standard user the ability to run that task (that has the password saved to it) you need to modify the permissions of the task file (C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\ for windows 10) so that your standard user has the same rights as the administrative user that you will see in the security options (you can probably just give it read/execute writes).

-Now create a scheduled task that doesn't run with highest privileges and runs using the standard account (with password saved) the trigger should be "at logon" and choose your standard user as the account at logon. The program to run should be:

schtasks /run /tn "task name that runs msi afterburner"

now on logon it should run this task that subsequently runs the other task that runs the program as administrator in your standard users context.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2017
  3. readonly

readonly Member

GPU:
    Leadtek LE TD GF4 TI4200 128MB O/C'd to 305/550
    I'll leave the above post just cause but here is a way you can most likely do what you are wanting to do.

-Make sure you have an administrator account created, in this case i will call it administrator.

-Open task scheduler on your standard account.

-Create new tasks called whatever, Set the followng
    -Run only when user is logged on
    -Do not set Run with highest privileges
    -Trigger: At logon of your standard user
    -Action: C:\Windows\System32\runas.exe
    -Action Arguments: /user:YourComputerName\administrator /savecred "c:\LocationOfMSI\MSIAfterburner.exe"
    -Settings: Turn off "Stop Task if it runs longer than" (otherwise msi will close after that time period)

Once you have saved the task, right click it and click run. It should want you to enter your administrator account password. Enter it. If MSI opens and works as you want, reboot and see that it autostarts at logon and allows you to modify settings/auto starts ur profile.