OC ASUS FX 5700 (V9570TD) Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by foci, Sep 5, 2004.

1. foci

foci Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 1024MB
    hey, i'm a newbie.

I have and ASUS GeForce FX 5700 256MB (V9570TD) video card (425/500). I can't seem to oc this card. I've tried coolbits and rivatuner. Changing the core and memory clock does an opposite effect on the card. It actually slows the card down in terms of FPS. No artifacts, snow, etc., core temps are around 57 C, under load with core clock OCed to 450. Increasing the core by 5 Hz goes well, but as soon as i increase the mem clock from 500 to 505 Hz, the FPS drops. What's up with that??? If anyone out there has the same card and had success in OCing it please give my some advice.

Thanks in advance.

2. Darkfalz

Darkfalz Guest

3. foci

foci Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 1024MB
    Thanks for responding Darkflaz. But I have a few (and probably ignorant) questions. What Hex editor, bios editor and NVFlash version did you use to edit your BIOS? I'm very new at this and i don't really know how to do this. From what you said, and correct me if I'm wrong, you use a Hex editor to change your core and memory values, saved it and than you use the BIOS editor to save it again. With this proceedure, are the core and memory clocks changed permanently in the BIOS? Can I now use coolbits or rivatuner to change the core and mem clocks?

4. makeme

makeme Guest

can i do it to my 5600 asus?

5. foci

foci Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 1024MB
    OC Problem Solved ASUS FX5700

I finally solved the OC problem for my ASUS FX5700 video card. After days of seaching the web and testing, I finally found a another card manufacturer's BIOS that I could flash well with my video card. Using the original CoolBits, I can now see the options for Auto/Manual Overclocking, 2D/3D clock settings, as well as Detect Optimal Frequencies options. Before, I could only see the Manual Overclocking option with the original ASUS BIOS. I OC'ed from 425/500 to 465/610 and gained 394 points in 3DMark01SE. I will, however, only set it to 460/600 for now.

I also tried Darkfalz suggestion, that permanently changed the core and memory frequencies, (which worked like charm, Thx Darkfalz), but I wanted the ability to change the core/memory freqencies as wells as setting it back to the default values without constantly modifying the BIOS.

This works perfectly, and I'm very happy with the results. BTW, I used Jaton Corporation's FX 5700 NU 256MB BIOS.

6. Doom325

Doom325 Guest

Re: OC Problem Solved ASUS FX5700

Where did you get your bios? I just flashed my 5700le to a 5700nu and it worked but i am having the same exact problem. I have the 5700le 256 meg so i could use the exact bios you used!

7. Doom325

Doom325 Guest

8. khohne

khohne Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 480 Asus
    My FX 5700 works fine with out need for modding or overclocking, i dont quite under stand why people buy new Geforce FX 5950's or 6800's and overclock them.

you would think any one who would pay $500 to $700 for a card would'nt want to alter in fear off permantly damaging it.

well go figure?

9. shunya

shunya Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek A400 GT TDH, Gainward 5900U GS @ 5950
    Try going back to the Detonator version 56.72......I noticed the same problem with my card too with the 6x.xx Detonators......But when I switched back to 56.72, it was fine with the OC.....hope this helped

10. foci

foci Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 1024MB
    I tried rolling back to Ver. 56.72. (removed anything relating to NVIDIA CORPORATION in my registry before I installed version 56.72 from version 61.76). Unfortunately, it did not work for me.

Thanks for the advice though...:D

Edit...

What are your OC numbers for your FX5700NU? Are you using stock cooling and without ram heat sinks?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004

11. shunya

shunya Master Guru

GPU:
    hey,

I used to run it stable at 460/600 with no problems on the stock cooling......but now I have the same problem as you.......help me out here and tell me which BIOS you flashed onto the card........thanx

12. foci

foci Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX460 1024MB

Please read other threads on how to backup your original BIOS and how to flash BIOS'es. I did a lot of reading/research before I attempted this procedure. This is my very first time I actually did this kind of thing to my video card. In other words, I'm a n00b when it comes to this.

I found the Jaton Corp. FX5700NU BIOS in the following website:

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/vgabios.htm

Look under NVIDIA Geforce 5700 4.36.20.35.15 Jaton

Note that this is a zip file of an executable. The executable actually makes a boot disk for you; so you need an empty floppy disk. I did not use the boot disk, however. All I did was just copy the file p191-0n.rom and saved it to my own boot disk. I mentioned this earlier but I will say it again anyway: make a backup copy of your original BIOS first, then try to flash the Jaton BIOS (please don't take this advise as an insult, I just don't want you to damage your video if something goes wrong with the flashing procedure. I've read in other threads and in other forums where others did not backup their BIOS and the BIOS procedure went wrong!!!). I used nvflash ver. 4.42 using the followng parameters in DOS mode:

nvflash -b backup.rom - to back up the original BIOS

nvflash -p -u -f p191-0n.rom - to flash my card with the Jaton BIOS

I hope this helps....

You can also check out the following link as well:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105802

13. hunterking

hunterking Member

GPU:
    Ati/X800xl/256mb
    I have also used the jaton bios and the jaton flash utility about a month ago to solve the problem. I have no problems, I now have autodetect overclock and 2d/3d clock speeds.

14. shunya

shunya Master Guru

GPU:
    Thanks dude, I just grabbed the file.......But I had already succesfully flashed it with Prolink's 5700 BIOS......I modded it to run 1.35V both 2D & 3D at 425 Core/550 Memory......At 450/600 I get some weird slowdown issues when switching between 2D & 3D mode (though both of them were set at 450 MHz, 1.35V).....Any ideas?

I will try the Jaton BIOS and post back though.....Thanks for the help