Oblivion crashing on 'New Game'

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by M1ckY, Jul 19, 2009.

1. M1ckY

M1ckY Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX260 Sonic 216SP
    Hello everybody,

I'm experiencing a very strange problem in Oblivion: I start Oblivion, click 'New game'. Everything works fine until I move one step and the guy in the other cell beginns to talk. Then the game hangs.
    This happens everytime I want to start a new game. Loading the autosavegame will make it hang at once.

Up to the point when the guy begins to talk everything looks fine, good performance, good temps, no artifacts whatsoever. Sound plays fine, too.

Ah, I have Shivering Isles installed and patched to the unofficial patch 2.2.

Any ideas what the problem might be? Thanks in advance.

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Any mods or such other than those?
    (Interfering with scripts and gameplay if configured correct or if they're missing stuff.)

Are the load order correct?
    (Oblivion.esm first followed by official DLC ESM files and then other ESM's like the unofficial patch.)

Also it might be related to voices as that's when the problem happens.
    (Funny though as SFX and Music would cause similar problems if that was the case but worth checking, it uses the older DirectSound API but it should revert to software mode on Vista if that's what you use.)

3. M1ckY

M1ckY Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX260 Sonic 216SP
    I reset the load order with OBMM but it didn't help.

The only mods I use are Shivering Isles and the unofficial patch. However deactivating those won't help either.

I'll try a savegame at a later point, maybe that helps. And I'll try the custom race fix, I don't have any custom races installed, still it's worth a try.

I'm using the latest beta of Windows 7, btw. Any known problems between Oblivion and Win7? Every other game runs just fine.

4. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    tried playing with sound off? (deactivate sound card in device manager, if it works, at least u know its sound related xP).

5. M1ckY

M1ckY Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX260 Sonic 216SP
    Why didn't I think about it?!

I have two sound cards active in my PC, the Theatron Agrippa and the onboard one. And behold: Disabling the Agrippa will make Oblivion work.
    On the other hand disabling the onboard card while leaving the Agrippa enabled will not help a bit.

I have a strange feeling that this is thanks to the absolute crappy Agrippa drivers. They are very cut off on Vista and don't even support 24 bit playback (I hate them for this!). And now this s**t.

Ok, enough ranting, Oblivion now works like supposed. Many thanks for your valuable help!