o11D top(in), bottom(in), side(exhaust) experience

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Incredible Lama, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Incredible Lama

Incredible Lama Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 G1
    Hey all,

So I am in the process of a new build (3800x), but the only thing left is a new case and possible more fans. My question is cooling related.

So I am strongly leaning to get a Lian Li PC-o11 Dynamic.
    I was very lucky to win an EK S280 kit from Guru3D a year ago that I want to use.
    I have 3x Corsair LL120 fans + Link + commander pro waiting + some random old fans (2x 140mm, 3x 120mm)

My problem is, is that the 280mm rad will only fit in the top of the o11D, which means my 970GTX (due for an upgrade, I know) would be blowing all its heat straight into the CPU cooling radiator if the top is to be used as an exhaust. Therefore, I was thinking the following set-up:

Top intake (radiator, 2x 140mm EK fans (maybe QL140s?))
    Bottom intake (2x 120mm randoms (maybe 3x QL120s?))
    Side exhaust (3x LL120s)

I searched around but couldn't find any comparative benchmarks where the effectiveness of this set-up was put to the test. Obviously, the top intake, blowing hot air down instead of up, and the positive pressure (doubt the 3x120 out vs 2x120+2x140 in would balance out) might cause vortexes to build up. I saw one build that did it, but he did have a liquid cooled GPU as well.

Anyone who has experience with this set-up would be a very valuable source of reference from me!

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Bottom intake, side intake and top exhaust..... Or get a 360 Rad and mount it to the side....

386SX likes this.
  3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Hot air wants to go up, don't fight against the nature. You just creating tornado inside your case.
    Better do as @sykozis mentioned.

Or you can try both setups and see temperature difference for yourself. That would be more interesting.

4. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Top exhaust. Yes it would be better if gpu blew the hot air out from the case, but you were planning to upgrade the GPU later. You have enough air coming in so some hot air might leak out from the back and not go through the top rad. Looking at that radiator, if you are not planning to overclock, that should have enough cooling performance even if you connected gpu and cpu to that same loop.