1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

O.K. Serious question here!!!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by PurpleFish, Mar 1, 2011.

1. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    I have been reading posts on here for about 50hrs and have concluded that I'm confused. I have a 1st gen phenom 9600 @ 2.3 with the tlb bug and 2g of ddr2 1000 on a 40usd micro board with a gtx260 core 216 and a 24" screen. Now I can max @ 1920x1200 all my titles from bfbc2 to black ops. however when anyone asks for advice on a build they get nothing but- you need 2 580's and intel's top processor when in reality they need much less. My question is are we here to give factual advice or brag about the size of our johnsons? Cause the facts are that a card that costs 100usd will get you maxed out @ 1920x1200 so..... not everyone has endless cash to spend on their rig and we as their guides should show them that a good gaming experience is available for them too instead of making them feel like it's a waste of time on their budget.

2. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Every post does not consist of "you need 2 580's and intel's top processor"

Quite the contrary, good true advice is mostly given unless a troll appears and tries to show off, 2 x 580's is overkill for 99.9% of games, but a high end CPU is always recommended, of course. Thats why people OC

3. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    One thing you have to remember here is the majority of G3D members are NOT satisfied with just being able to play games smoothly on average settings or even max a game out on 29.99 FPS. Most of the members here are on the extreme end of those who play PC games and want all the eye candy possible WITH high performance which for modern games will always demand higher end hardware.

4. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Master Guru

GPU:
    My question in here about what resolution do people use for gaming is a perfect example. people don't have 100+" screens in their house the avg consumer is at 1920x1200 or less but the replys in here reflect that as the entry level and most people are playing in their local movie theatre. the truth is you can go to your local walmart and buy a mid level tower for 500usd and throw in a 100usd vid card from newegg and max any game out today. without the best of anything. my cpu according to all of you is weak and outdated however i see no real world diff between it and my friends i7. unless you talk benchmarks but are we playing games or playing 3dmark?

5. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD R9 290 CFX
    Brag about the size of johnsons :D

Seriously, PC gaming is going down the drain.Every year worse and worse games come out,mostly being about some knight on a quest of epic relevance only to end up killing swamp flies and large bugs!And when you try to max out such experience you have to cash out 600euros for a decent PC.
    Consoles started making more sense when i had to give 340euros for 8800gts and then again 300euros for my current graphic card(and what about other components?)

Some dude back in 2007 was smart enough and bought a xbox 360 or ps3 for half of that money i payed for my PC and he's getting all great tittle like Killzone or God of War,Gears of war and much more and im stuck playing with some stupid knight who kills bugs for living and i cant even max out todays games.....

Next time im getting a console....

6. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    I do agree the part where people say, "Your CPU is bottle neck, With my CPU overclocked to xx.xx Ghz I can push to 300 FPS. With +1 Ghz, I can push to 350 FPS. Obviously its Bottleneck..". is just plain super SHI'T.

Matter of fact I use my CPU at 2.2GHZ, no bottle neck** what so ever with any games. Except 2, where I get 5-10 FPS because enabling the extra physics options needs more CPU. (over exaggeration by most so called overclockers, CPU bottleneck...I am so bored of hearing it now).

You want games to run fast with highest graphics, get a better display card..simple.

(more over currently I am using even my GPU at -20% powertune, because I got no need for speed increase with 0% powertunne or even 20% powertune and especially not with any overclock) Everything is running smooooooth with underclocking.

7. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    You have absolutely no idea about what you're talking about.
    Comparing two different CPU generations and claiming what you do is just bad.

Also, if you don't need speed why did you buy a 3.4Ghz CPU in the first place? Why not buy something slower with less power consumption?

Same goes for your GPU, why did you buy it and not go for something less powerful and less power hungry?

Seriously, I laughed inside at your other post where you said the same and I'm doing it again here.

/E

Just one more thing, claiming whatever you are claiming without some proof is irrelevant.

8. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 380x
    sure 2x 580 is overkill.

But most people here play games maxed out, i mean with 16xAF and high AA.
    I'm sure 260 will struggle with anything higher than 4xAA indbfbc2 on that resolution.

also you can't enable DX11 in that title with 260, reality is that it doesn't change IQ much but in other games that have DX11 there is quite difference.

also try metro 2033 with all settings maxed, you won't get payable FPS, not because is't badly coded.

Reality is that GPU is main component today for gaming, and your 260 is good card for it's value, i had it before i upgraded to 460.
    also CPU can make you problems in some games that are just ports of console versions, because they are usually have on CPU, for example Blur.

black ops is using old engine, 260 will max it out with no problem :)

9. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Master Guru

GPU:
    16x aa with no probs... and for the record the human eye can't tell the difference between 40 frames and 100 frames so again anything over 35 to 40 is overkill for bragging and dx 11 lmao there is no decipherable difference in screenshots of bfbc2 between dx9-10 and 11 so bla bla bla

10. Nbz

Nbz Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6850 1000/1150
    Gtfo, you just lost it when you mention that the human eye cannot tell the difference between 40 and 100Frames.

Go get a new pair of eyes.

11. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    Well, be careful when you use the phrase "max any game" because to most on here that means 16X+ AA 16X AF 2560x1600 etc. I know you probably mean just the in game settings on as high as they go and for most games you're right as most games are GPU limited and not CPU limited. However, most people here ALSO play with FRAPS or Afterburner or RivaTuner running showing their FPS at all times and even though the game may seem smooth at 38 FPS, the person who just bought their GTX 560 isn't happy they're not able to max the game and get 80+ FPS so they people start to point fingers at a 940 BE at stock clocks or similar.

12. NODO-GT

NODO-GT Master Guru

GPU:
    R9 380x
    human eye can't tell difference over 60 FPS (not 30) theoretically yes. but in when it comes to games even on console there are games that run on 30FPS and 60, developers try to get constant 60FPS instead of 30 for more fluid gameplay ( like in other thread mentioned Pure-Smooth :D).
    on pc we are talking about High FPSs because there is 3 different measures, Highest FPS, Average & lowest. for minimal payable quality avg. FPSs should be higher than 30, but it's certain that in some scenes you will get drops to under 30s that will have effect on game. thats why most of us want higher averages, so min fps is always above 30.

please take screenshot of bfbc2 running on 1920 rez maxed out with 16xQ AA with a fraps counter, not looking in the sky or at the ground :) show me some action :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  13. styka

styka Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 480 8GB RD
    what resolution are you playing bc2 ? with 16xaa ??

btw, no, that's not how you describe how the eye works, the eye does not work with the concepts of "frame-per-second", so it's inaccurate to say, unable to tell the difference by frame-wise.

i am able to distinguish 60hz with a 120hz monitor, 40-60 fps is still distinguishable, but the important thing is, get your facts straight about the eye seeing in frames per second.

14. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Master Guru

GPU:
    1920x1200 16xQ aa 16x af all ingame settings to max min 33fps avg 46fps max 59fps

15. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Sounds like someone is trying to big up his mid end rig

Dude, if there was no difference between low and high end hardware, people would have realised that by now, not by reading your posts and thinking "Hang on, Ive been wrong this whole time"

You go get your $500 PC with a $100 GPU and try maxing out Crysis Warhead and Metro 2033 and come back with screenshots of constant 60FPS, then we might listen.

DX11 in BC2.... maybe you should read up on that one

16. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    well that's not playable for me esp in a such fps game.. actually anything below 60fps is a mess..

i play bfbc2 without aa and hbao to keep above 50fps or it feels laggy when it drops to around 50ish fps.. So that you can't tell the diff between 40 or 60fps is BS, especially if you play without vsync..

Heck i even saw a huge difference in cod4,5 when i changed my fps cap from 91 to 120fps, really the game feels so much smoother and its much nicer to look at..

17. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    First off, dude, use paragraphs, most people hate reading a giant block of text. It's hard to read.

Second, whenever I quote rigs they have meet these requirements:
    • performance/price ratio .. can I get the most performance without breaking my wallet?
    • upgradability ... would I build a rig and then be able to upgrade it in the next 3 years?
    • durability ... will it fit my needs for up to 5 years? Will the parts last that long?

All my recommendations and quotes for all family, friends and Guru3D members have all been based off these 3 principles.

deltatux

Last edited: Mar 1, 2011
  18. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Master Guru

GPU:
    Maybe cause someone it tired of being told if you can't afford to have the best of everything you can't enjoy games or have them look good. Read the definition of enthusiast. it does not say buying the best things available and then bragging its more along the lines of taking something more avg and getting high end results out of it thats what build guru3d. Getting the max outa things that weren't supposed to do it and now in the last few years its all kids with rich moms who have all the baddest stuff out there and think somehow that makes them better or smarter

19. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    You're right in the fact that being an enthusiast DOES NOT mean you have to have high end hardware as a requirement. No one is knocking your CPU or saying it doesn't get the job done. However, if you made a new thread saying Hey I only get xx FPS or something, don't be surprised if people point fingers at it first.

More power to you for having the CPU you have and have your PC running as well as it does. I have a 6400+ @ 3.5Ghz with an 8800GTS 640MB that still does quite well new games. Everyone's PC and setup is different from the next guys. That's half the fun in this hobby anyway.

20. Detection

Detection Banned

GPU:
    2 x 6850 - CrossFireX
    Well you are wrong on many levels.

Yes you can get "good" results from average hardware, but no you can not get amazing results from it.

Rich moms ? Is that your understanding of enthusiasts ?

I am unemployed, I save pennies for a long time to buy my hardware, enthusiasts are people with a passion for computing to the extreme, people who started off with a single core Duron CPU and built up around it.

People who have rich moms are lucky SOBs true, but that is neither here nor there when it comes to building your dream rig.

If like you are saying a low / med end rig will max out every game on the market, I guess AMD and nVidia are just wasting our money ?

Im happy you are happy with your rig, but are you honestly telling everyone, that you would turn down the highest end rig if you won it in a competition because yours can do exactly the same ?