NVSoftQuadroX - SoftQuadro for 64-bits!

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by gellmar, Jun 17, 2008.

1. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
  2. Maryus3D

Maryus3D Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 285
    Can wait to see a GTX260 to Quadro CX mod :banana::vader:.

3. n4d444

n4d444 Active Member

GPU:
    8800GT@FX3700
    Maryus3D trust me all these aplications are CPU limited. Chances are that even if you could fully mod a GTX260 you wouldn't see any performance difference in Maya between it and an 8800GT. I have seen evidence of this in 3ds max.
    This can easily be observed if you overclock/downclock you GPU. The FPS stays the same. Only by ocing your CPU you gain something.
    I just meant to say an 8600GT (or a FX580) is just enough. You wont gain anything but the bragging rights.

I am at work now poking this FX1700 and windows registry trying to find the answers as to why a modded 8600GT doesn't work in specview when the "3D App - Default Global settings" is chosen. The FX1700 runs in specview (2-3 times) better with this setting as opposed to "Autodesk Maya".

And now an interesting turn of events. Take a look at this:
    Benches on a real FX1700 with different tweaks in nvidia control panel
    "3D App - Default Global settings" profile - specview Maya = 144.41
    "Autodesk Maya" profile - specview Maya = 86.22
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "3D App - Default Global settings" profile - Maya 2009 Bike Shade FPS = 19
    "Autodesk Maya" profile - Maya 2009 Bike Shade FPS = 47

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  4. Maryus3D

Maryus3D Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 285
    Nice bench. BTY for the the GTX260 to Quadro CX I'm referring to Adobe products especially Pr CS4 which is CUDA optimized. I trust you about maya, and I now about CPU limitation. A FX580 is enough especially when you use core i7 :D.

5. gellmar

gellmar Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD3850 1024MB
    n4d444,

that's cool - I think about expanding ATIFuse to a general strap writer (to make it to use with NVs too if Unwinder refuses to continu NVStrap)

gellmaR

6. Fragmichnicht

Fragmichnicht Member

GPU:
    8800 GT
    Just for the sake of completeness, I have run the bike.ma test on my Workstation. Here are my results (8800GT @650 Mhz GPU and a q6600@3.2Ghz):

bike.ma (smooth shade) : 20.1 fps
    bike.ma (wireframe) : 75.9 fps

So far I am using just the Autodesk Maya settings for my 8800GT and not any Quadro Mod. Those settings works fine for years without any problems for many Nvidia Graphic cards and improve the performance of the Maya viewport a lot. But I am really impressed by the results of the Quadro Mod. Great work! I will test it as soon as possible.

@n4d444
    How stable is your system? Any bugs, freezing or whatever? Any problems with other applications? I am looking forward to hear from you. Many Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  7. Samiam

Samiam Member Guru

GPU:
    4G DDR2
    What cards are compatible? Only the 8xxx series?

Thanks

8. Maryus3D

Maryus3D Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 285
    n4d444 prove that Quadro mod is possible for OpenGL. We hope that Unwinder see this and make it possible for other G92 cards and even GT200 with nvstrap. The bad news is maya use only one core so an 8800GT @ FX 3700 is overkill because is CPU limited, but who cares the geforce to quadrmo mod is possible for OpenGL and thats only matter. :banana:

Here is the bios for 8800GT http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lofiversion/index.php/t134631.html , with nvstrap is not possible until Unwinder make it possible :D

9. n4d444

n4d444 Active Member

GPU:
    8800GT@FX3700
    I think all cards are actualy compatible. But you won't be able to change the device id of anything above G8x chips (wiki link). For the moment rivatuner and nvstrap are the only easy way to change the device id and nvstrap works only for up to G8x chips.
    Other cards could be modded trough changing the device id in the cards BIOS but that is not easy as it was before just by changing the device id with nibitor. It needs more extensive BIOS modding which is dangerous. There is a BIOS mod for a 8800GT 512 (G92).

10. n4d444

n4d444 Active Member

GPU:
    8800GT@FX3700
    I can't realy coment on stability because I don't work with Maya. I just benchmarked the bike and textbench scenes. I wouldn't be surprises if you noticed some program chashes but I think there are workarounds. UltraBitch has done some extensive testing on page 4 of this thread. I ask for all you people to test this mod and report your findings about speed/stability and not only for Maya but for other programs as well.

I work in 3ds max and I can report absolute stability and performance in that program with maxtreme driver. No wonder as the 182.08 driver is WHQL. But Max is a different beast than Maya and you guys need to do some testing.

All my other tasks and games (I dont game a lot) work perfectly with this modded card.

Come on people don't wait for others do some testing and report back. Maybe I can help you improve stability if it is neccessary.

@Fragmichnicht
    Be careful when modding your 8800GT. Only a BIOS mod (at this time) can change the device id and you could make your card useless. It's a good idea to have a old PCI card just to boot and reflash your card if flashing goes wrong.
    You will find all the info on links previously posted (on page 5).

Lets hope Gellmar will make his ATI fuse general purpouse so it will work with Nvidia cards as well. In this case every card that is supported by the 182.08 driver will be moddable.

11. Maryus3D

Maryus3D Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 285
    There in no worry about. I saw a 7800GTX or 7900GTX moddend in Quadro for maya and the stability was good, very good it was the same as n4d444 told for max is :). And the performance was improved a little bit :banana:.

12. ultrabitch

ultrabitch Member

GPU:
    N/A
    For maya, xp64 and g80 the mod seems stable enough, I didn't have a crash, i even left maya running all night specapc for maya 6.5 (200 reruns). All my scenes are working fine, though I have big meshes on only one of my scenes (3 mil polys for some tree models)

But .. some other applications are not stable and the major problem is that if an application crashes, the whole system crashes and the restart is inevitable. So if you know beforehand what application you will be using, then you can test and see how it goes, and generally it's a blind shot, it might or it might _not_ work for the applications you will be using and your specific workflows with the these applications.

So.. my 2 cents is that at this time, the quadro mod for opengl apps is ok for hobbyist, but not stable enough for production/work purposes, unless you need to run specific applications and specific workflows that are known beforehand. (i don't know how d3d apps like 3dsmax behave with this mod)

13. Maryus3D

Maryus3D Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 285
    Any news about a NVStrap for GT200 or G92?

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Why are you spamming the forum with demands?
    Reminds me a lot of when children beg for candy.
    Just ask once and then wait in patience, or start modding yourself.

15. NormanBates

NormanBates Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD3870 / ATI HD4670
    wow, talk about snapping at the slightest annoyances...

16. Maryus3D

Maryus3D Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 285
    Ok here it is :banana: GeForce 8800GTS 320 MB, Windows XP x64 , Maya 2010 X64, Q6600@ 2,4 GHz, resolution 1680x1050.

[​IMG]

When I move\rotate the island I get 50fps :banana: .

The driver is stable maya love it. If I OC the Q6600 i will get more fps. Maya uses one core :wanker: .

Hope somebody release a patch for newer driver and for windows 7.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  17. ultrabitch

ultrabitch Member

GPU:
    N/A
    Hallo :)

Can anyone, with a real quadro, use the quadro and a geforce in the same system and test real world benchmarks like bike.ma?
    Maybe if you have a real quadro on the system, the driver unlocks its optimizations for both cards?

Has anyone any experiences to share using this configuration?
    If yes, please share.

18. Fragmichnicht

Fragmichnicht Member

GPU:
    8800 GT
    @ ultrabitch
    I have test such a configuration with a real quadro 4400 PCIe and a 8800gt a year ago. Unfortunately, it doesn't work. :( You get quadro power on the quadro and non-quadro power on the 8800gt. And yes of course, I have also test different configurations and changed the PCIe slots. ;)

@ Maryus3D
    Congrats to your new quadro! ;) Nice work! In one thread you said you cannot enable OpenGL Drawing in Photoshop CS4 in WinXP x64. That is a known problem in WinXP x64 and is solved with this workaround from Adobe: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406921.html
    It is just because Photoshop, and its GPU/OpenGL features, were minimally tested in WinXP x64, so Adobe decided to disable this feature in WinXP x64.
    Let us know how it works for you!

Have you done the whole quadro hack including the bios update? Or just the driver update? Those bios update is the point I am still sticking in. I don't want to risk to damage my graphic card.

19. Maryus3D

Maryus3D Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 285
    I have removed the PS phrase because I'v solve it :p, I'v used rivatuner to transform my card to a Quadro and then I install the patched driver thanks to n4d444. The 8800GT can't be modded with rivatuner because is not supported and is possible only with bios mod from Aqua-mac trick with the bios mod and nibitor. When you mod the card you still need to install a patched driver because those drivers are not stupid and it will detect your modded 8800GT. Even you have a Quadro driver installed or the system will tell you that you have a Quadro, the performances wont be there :(. So we must fool both :biggun:.

Hope some one reconsider this and stars the Quadro mod project again. I relay what to see a patch that will work with win7 and newer driver and i hope also to see that rivetuner will support G92 and GT200 GPU.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  20. n4d444

n4d444 Active Member

GPU:
    8800GT@FX3700
    There are so many people with questions so let me put it one more time.

Bios mod isn't necessary for quadro softmod if you can install nvstrap with rivatuner (rivatuner nvstrap supports only cards till the G8x chip generation newer aren't supported so there is no option to install nvstrap).

If you have a newer card that isn't supported with rivatuner nvstrap then the only way to softmod your cards is trough changing the device id by changing it in cards bios.
    This is not easy and the only currently available moddified bios is for an 8800GT card.

1) Run the script trough rivatuner and patch the quadro drivers 182.08 that you previously unpacked.

2) You need to change you card device id to a quadro device id so that windows and nvidia drivers recognize it for driver installation and this is done with nvstrap or with a bios mod (you can't change the device id in bios with nibitor, it won't work).

3) Install those patched drivers and you have a quadro card. So simple.

4) Before running Maya go to nvidia control panel and set your profile to the Maya profile and turn off vsync at the bottom of the list.

I get 70 FPS with my 8800GT in Maya bike.ma scene unlike others with moddified ATI firegl cards that get something like 15 FPS. I compared the results with a real quadro FX1700 and they are real.
    BTW 3ds max with the maxtreme performance driver and an 8800GT works better than anything I ever tried beffore :thumbup:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009