NVSoftQuadroX - SoftQuadro for 64-bits!

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by gellmar, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Maryus3D

Maryus3D Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 285
    Elemental works only with FX 5800, FX 4800, CX, FX 3800, FX 1800. :wanker:

2. Booim

Booim Member

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB (QFX 3700)
    @Maryus3D:

Too bad... I was hoping it could work this softmod.

Off topic, have you ever render super hires image (lets says around 20k x 10k px) in Maya? The reason I ask you this question is that I keep failing to render with mental ray, so I have to lower it just a bit down to 15k x 7,5k.

I you had done it sucessfuly, are there any tips that you could share?

I already try to optimize the large textures by converting to native mental ray image map format, but when I re-open the scene, Maya gives me a warning message that the converted texture is having mismatch size.

Btw, I'm using Maya2009 unlimited with one render slave.

Thanks...!!!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  3. Maryus3D

Maryus3D Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 285
  4. Booim

Booim Member

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB (QFX 3700)
    Thank for the info...

5. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    Those outputs sizes are pretty massive and cost a lot in terms of memory used espetially if the images are rendered in a standard manner in the vfb,I am using max and vray and vray has the ability to store the image directly on the hard drive instead of going trough the vfb for huge resolution like that.
    I suppose that mray has similar capabilities.
    Anyway you need a lot of ram to render to this sizes.

6. Herxheimer

Herxheimer New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800 GT@QFX3700
    Hy Maryus and everybody!
    I am one of not-so-lucky owner of an 8800GT who tried Aqua's fx3700 bios.Not so lucky because there are some differences between bios'es, so flashing worked but with annoing artefacts in post.After booting in windows the DVi signal was lost and I had to use an analog cable to see something.Anyways, I was curious to see Elemental Accelerator and downloaded it.
    No, they included FX3700 on their list of supported cards.I pasted some hd footage on an Premiere timeline and exported with one of the Elemental's preset.It worked but strange enough, looking in GPU-Z i saw that the gpu and video card's engine stayed steady-low and the cpu went to 100%.I dunno why, but elemental plugin didn't used the gpu, the entirely encoding relayed on cpu.I am looking forward to hear other experiences.
    By the way, Elemental doesn't work with 182.08 pathed driver, it needs 190+ one, but the strage behaivour of not using gpu (i think) have nothing to do that the driver needed is unpatched.Elemental just wanna know that you have an QFX3700.
    Regards!

Edit:Elemental works only in Premiere Pro and not only for HD footage, also with DV export

Last edited: Jan 9, 2010
  7. Mozaik

Mozaik Banned

GPU:
    Giga gtx 470@800
    I think it was a pretty unwise thing to flash your card with the quadro bios,there are allways some differences in the hardware.

8. Booim

Booim Member

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB (QFX 3700)
    I think so, because to start the rendering process it took a few minutes of heavily read/write disk activities.

Well, since I already consider purchasing additional 4 gigs, this just gives me another reason to buy it.

Soon after this rendering is done...:)

Thanks for the info guys...

Anyway, its not quadro bios that is used to flash the card, but the original card's rom with a changed device id to match its quadro counterpart.

9. Booim

Booim Member

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB (QFX 3700)
    Hi Herxheimer,

I you are still willing to try, here's the link to my not the best money can buy 8800 GT > QFX 3700 rom (courtesy of Aquamac).

But you also need to make sure this rom's clock (shader/gpu/memory) match the card you are using. You can check it with Nibitor and if those clocks are different, just modify the values to match your original settings and you're good to go...

I also had the same problem using Aquamac's Zotac 8800 GT softmodded rom, but after posting the result, he was kind enough to modify my 8800 GT rom.

Glad to see Elemental support this QFX 3700, but sadly its still using the old patched 182.08 quadro driver. So can't use it anyway...

10. Herxheimer

Herxheimer New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800 GT@QFX3700
    Hi Booim :),
    One of the things I made after I flashed Aqua's bios (changed clocks, fan settings, etc) was to try your bios (the FX3700 one, modified by Aqua) and things gone even bad.If with Aquamac's bios I could see something (everything distorted and pulsing), with yours things gone crazy!I had to reflash my original bios blindly, so no luck still.I even compared your original 8800GT bios with the modified one to see if I can discover the changes made, some patterns, but I'm still far from being skilled, so I didn't suceeded after weeks of tries.I posted my problem in a thread opened by you here : http://aquamac.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=graphics1&thread=712&page=2
    My only hope is if Aqua sees the post, maybe he could do something and fix my rom.

Finger crossed !:frown:

BTW: You can uninstall the patch driver just for testing purposes :)

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010

11. Booim

Booim Member

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB (QFX 3700)
    Hi Herxheimer,

Sorry that it didn't work for you... Let's just hope that Aquamac would take his time to look into you rom and done his magic trick once again...

12. Maryus3D

Maryus3D Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 285
    I'm glad to see that Elemental is compatible with FX 3700 :banana: . Now the big question!

Can anybody make a patch for the last driver. Why every body ignore nvidia mod? Is that super hard to make a patch for 19x? :wanker:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  13. Herxheimer

Herxheimer New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800 GT@QFX3700
    Hey, Aqua did the magic :angel: and now I'm happy! :grin2:
    But one drawback, for unknown reasons my card uses one timingset (according to Nibitor) when Geforce and another when Quadro .I matched the timingset of quadro (timingset 1) after the one geforce uses (timingset 2) but still my card crashed when it used intensively the videocard's ram,(Premiere, After Effects.....CUDA encoding) so i had to underclock the memory from 800 (stock) to 750 now, to work stable :bawl:.I lost a little speed but it works ok now.
    Anybody had encountered the same problem?

To be on-topic, even with latest quadro (unpatched) driver I can preview and edit AVCHD and HDV realtime in Premiere with color correction applied, with the 180.02 driver, even better!So, it's true, Premiere are optimized for quadro drivers even on many places I read that there is no difference.In After Effects i can preview real time 3d compositions with multiple layers when I have OpenGl activated, that thing wasn't possible with Geforce drivers, the amount of gain in performance is maybe 50%.:kind:

Ultrabitch, Styler, Gellmar, are you still here? Can you help us and do a patch for the latest Quadro divers?It cannot be made?Big Brother made antiprotect and softquadro sequences harder to apply?

14. Maryus3D

Maryus3D Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 285
    Herxheimer can you post a screenshot with the nvidia control panel with the profiles. I want to see profiles. There are games or 3D pro apps?

15. Herxheimer

Herxheimer New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 8800 GT@QFX3700
    Hi Maryus!
    I have pro apps with 180.02 and regular control panel with the latest driver.Sorry if I wasn't clear.Anyway, these days, i spent a lot comparing in a hex editor/comparer the the patched nv4_mini.sys and the original one (of 180.02) hoping that looking at the entries that the patch changes, I'll figure how it works, what it changes.Maybe we can adapt the patch for the latest driver.
    Unfortunately, is way beyond my skills, I still don't understand how it works.Really, you GURU guys ; Gellmar, Ultrabitch, Styler, why you're not interested in further developing of this Riva Tuner patch that made a lot of people happy?Is not possible anymore?The 180.02 was the latest driver that a script like NVSoftQuadroX could make us all happy?Everybody moved to FireGL front?
    Sorry Gellmar,don't want to bother, what happend with your ATIFuse project(an antiprotection/quadro capabilities enabler)?
    At a point in the past you made a beta that you hoped will be ATI/Nvidia compatible,If I remember correctly?
    It didn't worked? :confused:

16. CADCAT

CADCAT Guest

GPU:
    Mobility HD5870 1GB GDDR5
    It's because FirePro is the real deal! :roll:

I think FirePro is easier to crack so why not get an ATI card ;) Nevertheless I would also appreciate a real Quadro mod with all the OpenGL features working..

17. Maryus3D

Maryus3D Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 285
    Not for maya and 3D max or softimage. There are a few CAD apps that works well with ATi. And I don't think that FirePro is better then nvidia on that few CAD apps so I don't see were si the real deal :p.

What are you talking about there is no OpenGL in maya from ATi drivers also in max when you using OpenGL + the ATi drivers are buggy for maya they have a stupid texture and UV bug :puke2:
    8800GT has a full unlock on both OpenGL and DirectX in pro levels.
    :)
    Sorry for OFF

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  18. schoko

schoko Guest

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    well, maybe you should open your mind... it´s not ati versus nvidia here... ;) and it should not be some fanboy discussion. these posts should be informative and based on facts. i´ll have to add my findings to this discussion, since they shed a new light on the ongoing question on the performance of workstation cards ( drivers)

since you probably have not read the firegl mod discussion lately you might have missed what those ati cards actually can achieve in terms performance.

maybe the numbers of my tests with maya and the firegl mod in the real world scenes you guys have been testing the last year will give some more insight in the actual performance that is possible.

i´ll post the results i have seen so far in the benchmark threads together with my numbers:

the Bikebench (bike.ma)
    my results for the bike.ma scene:

shaded - 76 - 81 fps
    wire - 79 - 83 fps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

the Carbench (MayaCarBench.mb )

my results for the MayaCarBench.mb scene

textured - 8.1 fps
    shaded - 9.3 fps
    wire - 63.9 fps

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

the mayascene2

haven´t found a table to compare, only a few results in a several threads was what i could find. but i guess you know the numbers that have been achieved.

my results for the mayascene2.ma - scene

textured - 5.6 - 11.5 fps
    shaded - 7.5 - 20.3 fps
    wire - 14.7 - 33.5 fps

and well, now you might be interested what my setup is ?

:)

it´s the notebook in my signature. a hp 8510p with a hd 2600 mobility and 4GB ram. the benchmarks were run in win7 x64.

this mid level (crippled to be a ) mobile card is among the fastest cards you have benchmarked. since maya is heavily CPU-dependant, i think my t7700 (2.4) ghz processor is the bottleneck in this setup. compared to a 3.6 GHZ Quadcore i can only guess how much higher the possible speedincrease would be if i had one of those CPU´s in my notebook.

the most interesting part in this is that it was only possible to achieve this performance by altering the workstation profile for the professional OpenGL caps for the maya profile.

real deal or not, i think there is way more performance possible with ati´s and most likely with nvidia´s graphics cards.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  19. Maryus3D

Maryus3D Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 285
    I'm not an nvidia or ATi fanboy. I'm glad to see that happened :D. But please if you have the time can you make a patch for newer driver for nvidia. I beg you. :)

20. schoko

schoko Guest

GPU:
    Hd2600 Mobility
    for the others that don´t know about the pm´s we were exchanging...

well, i have never looked into a nvidia driver before, and don´t have the hardware(nvidia) to check, so i won´t be able to look into this. the ati softmod i try to do as good as i can for now, but i will need to attend to an important project in the next two months.

but as i wrote to maryus3d, it might very well be that the softmod for the quadro´s is already working. and it may be that it is a similar case to the ati driver:

maybe a correct setting for the opengl caps in the workstation profiles can give the very same boost to the modded geforce cards.

well, i haven´t had a look into the nvidia driver, but if the workstation profiles are using some kind of bitmask to enable/disable certain settings in the opengl driver of nvidia´s quadro driver then it is possible to test if there is a performance boost by evaluating different settings for the bitmask.

especially since there is no documentation on what those settings will enable or disable in the opengl driver file of nvidia´s driver, you might start with altering one row of the bitmask.

depending on how the bitmask works, it is probably based on decimal ( 0-9) or hexadecimal (0-F) digits.

you should try starting something like this

0x00000000
    0x00100000
    0x00900000

you would need to save that file and check if the performance in maya has become better.
    sometimes you will experience crashes of maya, and sometimes performance will get worse. it would help if you make a list on the effects a certain value has ( should be -, o, +, ++).

if you experience a performance boost you should note that value ( sometimes more than 1 value per row can have a certain effect) and start with another row

0x00400000
    0x00401000
    0x00409000

even when you have found one good value for a row, it can happen that a certain value in the next row you are evaluating can have the opposite effect, or a combination of values that were showing good, but not great results can have the desired effect of boosting performance.
    all in all this is a approximation to a "hopefully" good setting.

if the quadro softmod is really working and the performance boost is only prevented by a profile setting of the opengl caps you will find out very soon.

hope that you will find that this helps gaining a good boost in performance.

// edit....

in case of ati´s atiogl.xml it was quite an easy task to test the different settings, since the file was read from c:\windows everytime an opengl application starts. so editing and saving the profile-file and starting maya afterwards made a fast testing possible without having to restart windows all the time.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010