NVMe SSD is loosing Data

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Toine1, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Toine1

Toine1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    My WD-black 500Gb NVMe is loosing data after I do not use my PC for one week.

Hardware: WD-black SSD mounted in a Gigabyte Aorus Z390pro and 9700k not overclocked 2x8Gb kingston 3333mhz cl16. The SSD is installed with the motherboards own heatsink and the warranty label is removed. I have 3 other disk, 2 SSD both 256Gb , that both contain the OS, one for gaming, the other one for regular activities like interneting, and one 500Gb HD, for data. On all 3 other disk I never had any data loss.

Description: first I did use this NVMe as an Win10 boot, but after two blue screens and the needed OS reinstalling, I transformed it to an data disk. Now I notice, the reason for this BSOD, it is loosing data if I do not use my system for an period of one week. I have done lots of chkdsk repair, installed WD SMARTcheck software and Crystaldisk info software to detect anything, but I only see it is in good healt. Temp 51degr celsius max. BTW, this SSD has been installed using a grounded strap.
    MBAM and MS virusscan both the most intense scanning, did not detect any trojan, maleware or virus.
    Couple of weeks ago I did restore the data on the NVMe and use my PC 3 days friday, saturday and sunday, no data loss and after one week non activities it did have data loss again. Interesting points, not quite sure but it appears, mostly the lost files are the last one that I swapped to the NVMe.
    On the NVMe I have installed data, Steam, AssettoCorsa, racefactor2 and SteamVR. Steam is btw always updating also strange.

Question: I need help in going further to solve this, the warranty label has been removed so an RMA would be rejected. Is there something I could test or do an testrun to verify this.
    Is there an solution for this.

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    You'd have to power every couple of days to retain memory. I've heard of this happening but not in such a short span of time.

386SX likes this.
  3. toyo

toyo Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    I'd still try to RMA it even like that. I believe warranty labels are illegal in some parts of the world. Data retention should abide by JEDEC standards:

[​IMG]

https://www.anandtech.com/show/9248/the-truth-about-ssd-data-retention.

As you can see, there is a worst case scenario of about 1 week.

4. Toine1

Toine1 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Thank you all, for replying, here in the Netherlands its always difficult to get the RMA claimed, as for me it is easier to get an RMA in the States then in my own country. Economics are ruling here.
    Think I’m goin to use this NVMe as an Virtual disk using a huge pagefile and as an temp/download folder.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    electron leakage in the nand, they can't do anything but replace it.