nvlddmkm stopped responding in Windows Vista, Vista Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by max883, Mar 26, 2007.

1. ogheeren

ogheeren Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI 8800 GTS 512 760C/1900S/2100R
    My problems were gone since the 163.71 version. I didn't had the problem in games, just the desktop went blank and came back after 2 seconds and displaying the famous bug as a ballon pop-up. With Aero disabled everything worked fine. Now with 163.71 everything works fine again.

2. Jammed_Death

Jammed_Death Guest

GPU:
    Gtx560 TI Hawk
    can i join the party? vista ultimate x64, error, vista business x64, error, vista business x32...ERROR!

with 163.xx driver situation get worst and now can't play anithing...after 10 minutes everything crash with "driver stop responding" error...hope is not hardware failure, got this vga from 1 month only...

many people say that error came after weeks...can be the thermal paste of the vga crappy and waste himself for the heat? (sorry for bad english)

3. Grotto1

Grotto1 New Member

I had this error the day I installed the video card.
    I tried all the drivers and all the "fixes" and nothing works.
    My computer is a Dell so I checked the Dell web site. They have a lot of complains with brand new computers as well.

4. Captn

Captn Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTS(G92)512 x2 S
    I just RMAed my 8800 because of this error.

5. Jammed_Death

Jammed_Death Guest

GPU:
    Gtx560 TI Hawk
    the error presents after weeks of use...when you got the error and rma the vga?

with the 162.22 (came with windows update) i played 30 minutes before the driver error...mah

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  6. Munkus

Munkus Guest

GPU:
    nVidia RTX3080ti FE
    I get this every once in awhile, but it's pretty rare (using Vista Home Premium 32-bit). The annoying part is I have to reboot after the driver "recovers" because trying to play anything without rebooting usually causes another failure or lock-up. I'm using the latest WHQL drivers (163.69) and my GPU temp usually hovers around 64C at full load (54C idle). CPU temp is about 45C at load. So doesn't seem to be temp issue for me. I paid the $10 to get the 64-bit Vista DVD, but it's sitting on my shelf waiting for me to have a free day to re-install everything. Ugh...I hate re-installing. Since 64-bit doesn't seem to be a panacea, I'll probably wait.

edit: added Vista version currently used

Last edited: Sep 28, 2007
  7. Shayesta

Shayesta Member

GPU:
    Powercolor ATI 1950 Pro A
    Hmm nVIDIA

I use to get this when I had nVIDIA card. I tried nearly all drivers & I use to get it. But when I tried drivers v158.45 or below I never use to get any crashes or anything at all hovever anything over 158.45 cashes crashes all da time & its really annoying coz once i was ordering online next min entered card details pressed submit screen went blank lol n never recovered so had to restart PC.
    With 158.45 forceware drivers I couldnt play latest games without getting any decent FPS.

However the only way I could get rid of this problem is that I bought my self a "ATI Sapphire HD 2600XT 256MB GDDR3 Dual DVI TVO PCI-E Graphics Card" for £60 & I can say the drivers supplied by ATI are better than ****ty nVIDIA ones.
    Also the ATI is good as 8600GTS wen overclocked.

People get ATI ull see diffrerence in the drivers they are way better than nVIDIA!

8. sjmarcy

sjmarcy New Member

Any known fix-lists in one place? Or global fixes? I had no TDR issues until after about a month with my new 8800GT. I have all V32 updates and patches, have tried many drivers and use drivercleaner. I tried a Vista clean-install no help there.

What about system ram? I use DDR2 667 two 1 gigs and two 512s. So all four slots are full. I heard that using only two slots helps a lot. Can that be possible?

q6600 / v32HE / 3 gig DDR2667 / 8800GT

Thanks.

9. sjmarcy

sjmarcy New Member

Here are the two error messages I *now* experience frequently...worked fine for about a month:

[​IMG]

and at the same time Vista spits out:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Crysis.exe
    Application Version: 1.1.1.5879
    Application Timestamp: 47629def
    Fault Module Name: nvwgf2um.dll
    Fault Module Version: 7.15.11.7116
    Fault Module Timestamp: 477dbc70
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0004e323
    OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: cf3b
    Additional Information 2: b7c50dfc8d52034de94e87561a5a8f5f
    Additional Information 3: 7bc6
    Additional Information 4: 522484cc2831e5de41a7ed6ad9081504

Read our privacy statement:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=50163&clcid=0x0409

I have the feeling that EA/Crysis will say it is Vista or Nvidia and so forth. What other information can I provide to help figure this out? I've used ATI for years and seem to have the impression that their drivers are more robust. Then again I have not used ATI on Vista.

Thanks.

10. GammaLord

GammaLord Active Member

GPU:
    2g gtx 760 gigabyte oc
    I had been having this problem to , found a so called fix for it on line saying something about switching something in windows off then finding all versions of that particular driver and then deleting them but after doing so windows would not even recognize my gfx card even after trying to reinstall the drivers.

So just be carefull .

After reinstalling windows i made sure to only install the current ones that i wanted to use which where 169.25's which seemes to have fixed the problem (well i havent had any drivers stop responding so far) but also i havent been playing alot of diff games to double check just been playing bf2142 without issues.

possible reasons for the problem that i feel are....

1.that particular driver is a windows vista driver used for recognising nvidia cards in vista and is unstable.

2.after installing nvidia drivers over and over even after using programs like driver cleaner this particular driver duplicates itself making the system unstable.

Unless theres supposed to be multiple versions of it thru vista im not sure.

But anyway after a fresh install and only installing one set of drivers everything seemes stable for now.

11. sjmarcy

sjmarcy New Member

Well since posting above I ran DriverCleaner and followed the directions EXACTLY. After rebooting from safe mode back to regular, now Vista won't recognize the Nvidia card. So it is running on "vgasave" drivers at the moment.

I'm a bit disappointed in DC if it led to this, I just paid 10 bucks for it. And at whatever led to this issue. This happened to a different computer once..could not reinstall the drivers...and it was possible to fix it without a Vista reinstall can't quite recall what we did. I'll figure it out eventually.

I wonder what ATI has coming out next...have had better luck with their drivers over time for some reason... Or maybe it is just Vista weirdness I dunno.

WHY would a driver make copies of itself? Maybe I could track that down and put out that fire? Suggestions welcome.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  12. nickp85

nickp85 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ATI 5970 / XFX 5870
    I had the problem with Vista x64 and only after I installed a 2nd video card and went to SLI mode.

However the guy above posted a link to a microsoft page which shows you how to disable TDR (Timeout Detection and Recovery) which is what causes the driver to reset itself.

After a simple registry key add, I disabled TDR and now I can game for hours without any problems.

The link is http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/display/wddm_timeout.mspx

Check it out!

Of course also, if you are having a legit problem, disabling TDR may be a bad thing but otherwise, in my case, just a TDR glitch, guess it can't properly read and detect SLI mode cards.

13. sjmarcy

sjmarcy New Member

Okay...little help? Walk me through this a bit as I am a registry noob as far as direct editing goes. I don't want to mess things up. So I'd first back things up and set a restore point. And then?

This is what is in my registry at the appropriate point. What should it look like afterward? Thanks!

[​IMG]

14. kankurou

kankurou New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA 9600GT 512MB
    Hi. I'm trying to collect all of the data about this stupid nvlddmkm error and put it all into one place so people won't be spending that much time scouring all over Google for the solutions. This website is at http://www.nvlddmkm.com and there's several methods available already on how to fix this problem. Please let me know if there should be anything that I should add to the website. Thanks!
    -Nick

BTW I still have yet to fix this error for my computer as well.

15. kalispimenta

kalispimenta Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @680X1030MHZ
    Amazing kankurou actually has a website for the problem and Nvidia doesn't even care about it:biggun:.
    Thank you for the link.Anyway i was overclocked when my pc crashed (hd failure) i re-installed windows and now i get this problem,same hardware new install,i'm water cooled so heat not a problem.
    Question without starting blame,
    1.do all the people with this problem have RT installed?
    2. Does this happen with Ati cards?
    3.Could it be Punkbuster?

16. Zloth

Zloth Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA Nvidia GTX 780
    A lot of folks over at City of Heroes get this problem. A good number of them (including me) find that this hotfix makes it go away: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953186

The hotfix is included in Vista SP2 Beta.

Edit: Not sure why you would go download a memtest for Vista when the OS has one built in. Just search for "memory" on your own computer and it should pop right up.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  17. kalispimenta

kalispimenta Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GTX @680X1030MHZ
    Do you have a direct link for this download (vista business x64)?
    update:
    Installed update and played for hours without crashes,also did NOT have xfire on.Intel does warn about installing this update so....

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009