Nvidia, slowed performance, GTX 970...

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TimmyP, Apr 24, 2019.

1. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I try to shoot for 36 fps min average, on 1080p Ultra minus DoF, motion blur, high AA. Lets use AC Odyssey as an example.

Any, ANY driver above ~395.xx completely drops my fps by about 5-10. Im on 390.77 and the difference is very obvious.

The driver version is just an assumption, but I can assure you that I have delved deep with settings, clean installs, game versions etc...

I personally feel (and see) an obvious degradation in performance. This is verified to me in in AC oddysey, Origins and Kingdom Come Deliverance so far. Everything has been scrutinized.

My question is has anyone notice this? Did they rectify it? Is there a fix? What is the best driver version if this was fixed? If not, no biggie for now, but if you have a 970\Maxwell or related id look into this.

2. __hollywood|meo

__hollywood|meo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    people will be quick to tell you that its nonsense, configuration issue, just use latest WHQL since updated drivers are simply target optimizations for new arch...in theory that is correct. in practice however there is measurable degradation that i have extensively tested under controlled conditions (3dmark, heaven/valley, & ingame benches)

i found the best performing driver to be 369.x WHQL, but had to upgrade to 37x.x because of integrated bugfixes. check for said bugs in games you play, & use the earliest version you can. performance began to fluctuate for my rig @372.54, but it was within the margin of error of my testing. after 373.06 it was no longer within that threshold & could not be dismissed. i tested up until 417.x at which point i threw my hands up & called my tedious intellectual exercise to an end

theres no fix or workaround to my knowledge, & ive looked around a little bit...not a lot. just use NVslimmer to strip down whichever driver package, use DDU to clean install, & dont update drivers unless a bug forces you to :\

TimmyP likes this.
  3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I've just recently saw the GTX 970 retested, and it handily outperformed the new GTX 1650 and continues to hang with the RX 570.

4. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I have GTX 970 and use the newest drivers, I don't have any of the games you mention but in BM it is not losing performance with new drivers.

I kind of remember gtx970 close to 1060, I would think it should be slightly better than 1650 as memory BW is a lot more so it probably would depend on the game.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I remember it too. 970 was fast as 1060 6g two years ago (minus the vram difference) but today its behind even 1060 3gb.

6. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Yup, that can happen as new games use more of the newer features of the newer cards.
    Fill/texture rate and memory BW 970 trumps a 1650 but supporting features are totally different.

7. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    No way, go take a look at the 1060 6GB review here on Guru3D. The GTX 970 hasn't moved at all from where it belongs, the 1060 6GB was a significantly faster card back in 2016 as well. You guys are miss-remembering how good the 10 series launch was.

Smough, jbscotchman and CrazyGenio like this.
  8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Watched this one just some minutes ago. As usual, no "gimping" of any kind detected by those who can do actual benchmarking.

Smough likes this.
  9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Is this based around memory or actual benchmarks?

Since I've just done a reinstall and have a 970 this is good timing for me to replicate, 3D Mark is easy enough and AC Origins has a benchmark if i remember correctly.

10. __hollywood|meo

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    see my first post buddy. it doesnt manifest under every configuration. you might not even experience the issue, but id be interested to hear your results. it doesnt seem tied specifically to hardware because ive talked to individuals with intel & AMD procs who are afflicted.

who even are you?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    someone with more credibility than you.

12. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    What??
    You're wrong, the 970 has always been behind the 1060, whether 3 or 6gb.
    The one that did compare to the 1060 6gb, and still does, is the 980.

[​IMG]

yasamoka and toyo like this.
  13. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If that were the case, then your "issue" would have been prevalent from the day the GPU was purchased. Think about it.
    Unless you're saying the conspiracy (NVidia is gimping old hardware) is so deep, that they try to make it only manifest under certain conditions, for god knows what reason???

14. __hollywood|meo

GPU:
    6700xt @2.7ghz
    cyber, i dont understand wat youre trying to say. can you rephrase your first statement? when the 970 was released the driver package was 339.x or something like that, & the issue only appeared much later...coinciding with the optimizations for pascal, seemingly having a cumulative effect

thats adorable. go be passive aggressive somewhere else

-Tj- likes this.
  15. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Its not far behind at all with 3gig 1060, its the closest in the 10xx series stack.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_1060_Mini_3_GB/29.html

Your talking about few% max, the higher the res the better, though 4k is not really usable.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    As in instead of being just aggressive like you?

17. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I know very well that there is little difference between the 970 and the 1060 3gb, and more when compared to a mini version.

18. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Tbf your first post made it sound like people were wrong to question it, but if we can't replicate it then we should be able to question it.

I ran 3D Mark 11 and Timespy last night and the two drivers were practically identical.

AC Origins I was half asleep so will check when I get home.

Drivers were 390.77 v 430.39, full install and no slimming. NVCP default settings.

EDIT: 369 wouldn't install

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Timespy
    430.39 v 390.77
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3D Mark 11
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Assassins Creed: Origins
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

signex and toyo like this.
  20. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    The idea that Nvidia cape its controllers is an urban myth that has been denied on many occasions.

For my part I have some cards even older than the 970, but I have never felt that they are losing power, and for sample I put these examples:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Smough, signex, Nastya and 2 others like this.