nVidia's FXAA mode (anti-aliasing)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TheHunter, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Caleb171

Caleb171 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 @1200/1600
    When you alt-tab you will see hl2.exe in task manager...

2. fagoatse

fagoatse Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    That applies to majority of source engine games. BMS is no exception as it relies on source sdk.

3. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    That may be, but the game it's self requires it's own executable (afaik).

Try copying the hl2.exe over to the bms directory and then sweetfx.

4. Caleb171

Caleb171 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 @1200/1600
    Will try

5. Caleb171

Caleb171 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 @1200/1600
    Doesn't work...

6. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    Was worth a shot though.

7. fagoatse

fagoatse Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    The game doesnt have its own .exe so no wonders it doesnt work. All game assests are loaded in source sdk 2007.

8. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    To all teh NON believers..haha

sweetFX does work with source mods and games...
    U have to place the files just in teh right foder, lol..

the MOD may not have his own exe but isnt a problem..remember the games where u had to put some files of the injector where teh exe is and the rerst somewhere else..jep thats one of them...

SweetFX does work with Black Mesa..Everyone who says different is just Stupid..

Also..why u dont pOST the SweetFX LOG? it might be of help...just saying, hehe

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  9. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    @ CeeJay.dk

as Promised here are some FX files (shader settings).
    But im too nooobish to figure out how to use them or if we can use them at all..

I uploaded them so u can take a look ;)

List:

they are for DX10 i think...
    i got some more also..

Download here: (hopefully u can do something great with it, hehe)

some more shaders..
    mmjcellshader - http://www.mediafire.com/?9599za6ll505la4

drunken Shader - http://www.mediafire.com/?k3fldga6cv94e9b

cant find teh cartoon shader now
    :( sry..his site is down atm..

Greetings, BetA

edit: Cartoon shader and more coming soon :)
    Also a question..are u planing on doing an GUI for it? for sweetFX? like this herE: (not that we need it..hehe)
    dunno if u can or want do that, but it shure is an great thing..anyway, i count on u mate.

-BetA-

edit:

ok im gonna post some more codes and stuff..
    Found some new ones..

dunno if actually can start something with that, but hey..

:

10. mypc

mypc Guest

plz would somebody tell me the guide how to use the other effects of smaa like vibrance bloom and others i am nubish in that thing

11. fagoatse

fagoatse Member Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    nope.avi, there's no log since it doesn't work even if you place it where the actual .exe is (the root of source sdk 2007 folder).

12. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    well, then u are doing something WRONG or need to read mor einto sweetfx and the injector and how it works..it works, i tested it before with source mods and games..like Fakefactory or grey...

its all the same..

EDIT:

just for u i now did an test with Black Mesa, and what happened?
    Indeed, IT WORKS:.

Screens:

(i used the effects: HDR, Sharpen, AA, Vibrance...)

WITHOUT sweetFX:

[​IMG]

SWEETFX ENABLED:

[​IMG]

OFF:

[​IMG]

ON:

[​IMG]

so, as u see it works..

like i sayd, u have to put teh files in teh right folders.

Example for Black Mesa or any other mod that is using the SOURCE SDK 2007:

1. Put these Files in the Source SDK 2007 Folder where teh hl2.exe is..
    (J:\Steam\steamapps\YourName\source sdk base 2007
    -SweetFX_settings.txt
    -SweetFX_preset.txt
    -SweetFX readme.txt
    -injector.ini
    -dxgi.fx
    -d3d9.fx
    -SweetFX (Folder)

2. Put these Files (the DX.dll´s, cause they need to be where the DLL´s are(BIN Folder)
    (J:\Steam\steamapps\YourName\source sdk base 2007\bin
    -d3d9.dll
    -dxgi.dll

3. Thats it..now its working!! just use teh Scroll lock key or the Pause key..dunno witch one it is, i use a diff one ;)

-BetA-

This also works on TOP of SGSSAA etc..like i did here to show u this..

13. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    This is almost correct.

Install SweetFX to
    \Steam\steamapps\YourName\source sdk base 2007\

but put d3d9.dll and injector.ini in
    \Steam\steamapps\YourName\source sdk base 2007\bin

For source games dxgi.dll and dxgi.fx are not needed as it's a DirectX9 game so you can delete them if you want or leave them - it doesn't matter.

I can't get it to work with MSAA on my Radeon 6970 so I had to switch MSAA off in Black Mesa for SweetFX to work right.
    Do you guys need to do this on Nvidia cards too?

I've put the settings I play with up on dropcanvas

To use them, place them in the SweetFX folder and point to them in SweetFX_preset.txt

14. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    well...that would explain why i had to use teh pause key, ha..ok, then the Injector.ini goes to BIN also. THX..For the dxgi, etc dll , i knew that..source is dx9 so u would need only the one, but i dont wamted to confuse the others..i just wanted to show them that it works with black mesa..

And for ur question..Me as NVidia user i can use sweetFX on top of forced AA, sgssaa, supersample or multisample..works all good..

i personnaly play black mesa without sweetFX..i just use very nice 4 x 4 SGSSAA with a LOD of -1.375..

-BetA-

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    @CeeJay.dk
    When you got the GUI added you could add a process detection and add junctions at the right places, means you only need a centralized installation of the tool.
    C# example using WMI:
    Code:
    // include the namespace
    using System.Management;

var wmiQueryString = "SELECT ProcessId, ExecutablePath, CommandLine FROM Win32_Process";
    using (var searcher = new ManagementObjectSearcher(wmiQueryString))
    using (var results = searcher.Get())
    {
        var query = from p in Process.GetProcesses()
                    join mo in results.Cast<ManagementObject>()
                    on p.Id equals (int)(uint)mo["ProcessId"]
                    select new
                    {
                        Process = p,
                        Path = (string)mo["ExecutablePath"],
                        CommandLine = (string)mo["CommandLine"],
                    };
        foreach (var item in query)
        {
            // Do what you want with the Process, Path, and CommandLine
        }
    }

Only the ini file would then be in each games folder, or also be central with either gamename.ini or setting merged into a xml.

Shame that japamd doesn't support open source, you would have the full game detection/list/settings code if so.
    Maybe it is possible to get it by asking...

16. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I probably won't be using most of them as many of them are different blur shader and I don't see the point in blurring the image - that would make the game look worse, not better which is what I'm interested in. Besides I think I can do a better blur shader myself - LumaSharpen already does a very fast blur which it subtracts from the image in order to sharpen.

Blurs are useful for a Depth of Field shader, and I'd like to include one, but to do DoF I need access to the depth buffer and the InjectSMAA injector does not provide that so it's not possible to do that until I have a better injector to work with.
    This is also why I can't include an SSAO shader which I'd also like to do, but it's just not possible currently.

I also can't do a proper film grain until the injector has a frame or time counter - otherwise the grain would be static.

Color grading is also much harder to do with the current injector because it does not allow me to load custom textures, so I can't use lookup tables saved to textures, but have to use math for everything which makes it much harder to do an easily configurable and fast shader.

To do motion blur , the injector needs to provide at least the previous frame and hopefully also the motion vectors - it does neither.

I might be able to use the cell shading shader and the cartoon shaders, though I prefer to do image improvement shaders first - artistic shaders should as these come second.

I'm not sure what the flat highlight and magnetic fields shaders do - would be nice to see the shaders running first - where did you get them from?

I won't be doing a GUI because my C skills are rusty and I have plenty of work to do with shaders that I find much more interesting.
    I do this as a hobby so I work on whatever I find is the fun to develop.

That said, TFL Replica said he would try to make one using Minerias source code, and there are also other options people with the right skills could take.
    If I didn't have shaders to do I'd probably look into doing a gui using REBOL or AutoHotkey as I hear it's very easy to create GUIs using those.

Basically you need to make a program that will read the settings file and look for lines starting with #define and then make the text after #define an item in the gui and the number after that sould go into a text box or a slider in the GUI, and then it should ignore everything after // and between /* and */

There are already programs in REBOL and AutoHotkey that can read an .ini file so adapting them should not be too difficult for a novice programmer.

But anyways .. I currently have no interest in making a GUI. I find opening the setting files and changing a number , just as easy as opening a GUI and changing a number.

17. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I don't see how this would work .. you would still need the d3d9.dll in each game directory

But if you mean that you would only need one installation of the GUI that could be used for all the installations of the injector mod in the various game directories then yes , this is possible.

18. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    BTW anyone using the Dither shader on ATI hardware currently ? - Don't.
    It has rounding errors that cause it to look wrong on at least my 6870 card.

I also saw rounding errors on my Nvidia 8800GT card but fixed those, but apparently not for ATI cards.

Expect it fixed in version 1.2 which will hopefully be done sometime this month.

19. XRyche

XRyche Member

GPU:
    MSI AMD R7 265 OC 2GB
    I was hesitant about using your Luma Sharpen in MPC-HC because almost all shader sharpeners are pretty much the same. Anyways, I was looking around inside the shader itself and found different sample patterns you did but didn't have listed under the "user's section". Pattern 8 and 9 makes your sharpener degrees better than any other shader sharpener I have ever run into (makes it look "cleaner"), especially for SD content (depending on the sharpening strength, of course). I know it says its slow but I haven't had any issues with it, even with full 1080p content. Also, under the "Developer's section" I found references to colour spaces (I believe) thanks to your notations :). I assume these are in reference to your monitor/display/TV and not so much to the media content itself. Since I have my monitor set to full (255,255,255) RGB (it's a full 8 bit LCD not 6 bit) I'm assuming it's okay to change it to "Equal weight coefficient". It appears to cut down on the slightly washed out look while still sharpening.

20. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz

ok, that sounds reasonable..well, i didnt mean i want/need them in there, these shaders..i just thought when i find some , im gonna show it to u..and u can decide whats best, etc..

Also about the GUI, id say its ok without it..i have no problem at all changing some numbers..also thats how u learn the basics better :)

But a nice GUI is allways welcome..if i had the skills i would do it for u.

But i dont have..
    Also, i really would like to see an DOF shader and Cartoon/Cell..

I mean cartoon , ok, is more artistic and not urgent nether needed right now..But its allways nice to have more effects to play around with :)

And like u sayd, theres probally a chance for an DOF Shader..thats enough for me..

Also i noticed that when using SMAA WITH corner rounding..Theres a , dunno if its an error. guess not, anyway, when u use more then "0" as corner rounding. the lines in BF3 gets really tiny and small..and thats total strange to look at..
    i fixed it by just settiong vorner rounding to "0"..with that, TEXT and lines etc are all great..Maybe thats the error u are talking about? rounding error?

I love my BF3 now :)

ALso, is it possible to make an MOTION BLUR shader?
    im trying one here with MPC HC and im not good at it..Doesnt work at all..

There was an Motion Blur shader with VLC player..but its not D3d FX shaders i think..i couldnt extract it from there..

so im still looking for an good motion blur code..

i do thjink. in some games, a little amount of Motion blur could really do some nice things..Think about it :)

ok..well if u need any things tested on NV hardware ask me..i will gladly help..

Greetz BetA