nVidia's FXAA mode (anti-aliasing)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TheHunter, Jul 20, 2011.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I disagree.
    Sooo much.

Driver FXAA blurs so much less than InjectFXAA in my testing.

2. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Some possible reasons why SMAA isn't working well for you:
    1) The threshold is set too high (i doubt it)
    2) The aliased lines have a broken pattern that SMAA (and FXAA too) have trouble detecting as an aliased line and therefore does not smooth it. This happens in some games more than others. NFS:Hot pursuit has plenty of these hard to detect lines. Judging from the screenshots I don't think this is the problem you have.
    3) The sharpening is interferring with the smoothing of the lines. This is a problem in SweetFX currently, and I'm working on fixing it. Currently on high contrast edges the sharpen will blend in some of the previously aliased edge so the result is something halfway between aliased and anti-aliased.
    Try turning LumaSharpen off and see if that fixes it.

I tweaked HDR to one scene. Previously HDR was way to bright for me.
    It makes sense that it's now too dark for others. I don't think HDR or indeed most of the effects can be tweaked to look great for all scenarios - they have to be tweak for each individual game to look just right.
    For the default settings I just hope to set something that looks sort of OK overall on a number of games and then I leave the final tweaking to the end user. It also depends on the monitor settings of the user, making it even harder to find a setting that works well for everyone.
    What game did you find it too dark in?

More effects would be nice and you are welcome to send me the source code for some - that will make it much easier to include the effects.

I have not tested it with League of Legends.
    If the game won't run with SweetFX try uninstalling SweetFX, by deleting all the SweetFX files in the League of Legends game folder.

3. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I'm not surprised that the same happens with SweetFX as with InjectSMAA, because SweetFX uses the same dll as InjectSMAA.
    I can't help you with that sorry.

Try asking the developers of InjectSMAA or D3DOverrider or look for another program that can fix Vsync without conflicting with the InjectSMAA dll.

4. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Yesterday I had two ideas I want to share with you.

1) If you want to know if a game is running DX9 or DX10/11, then you run it with SweetFX and open the log.log file afterwards. If the game uses DX10/11 then the log will make references to DXGI (DirectX Graphics Infrastructure). If it uses DX9 it will not.

2) If you want to tweak fullscreen games even easier, then you can run some kind of game overlay program like f.x Overwolf and it use to open the SweetFX settings while inside the game. Make your changes and save and then use the Reload shaders button (DELETE if you haven't remapped it). This saves you from Alt-tabbing to the desktop and back again.
    That said , I haven't tried this idea myself so I don't yet know if Overwolf is compatible with injectors. Not all overlay programs are.

I was also thinking about changing the key mapping again. I was playing NFS: Hot Pursuit and needed Insert and Delete for the dreamshot screenshot function and the current keymapping conflict with that.

Rather than keep changing the keys every time I find some games that conflicts I wanted to ask you guys what you thought was the best keys?

I was thinking to maybe move them to / and * on the numeric keyboard. Or maybe move them to Scroll lock and Pause but with Pause as the reload shader button because you rarely use that and pausing the game to reload the shaders isn't that annoying as you can always unpause again.

5. NimbusTLD

NimbusTLD Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Hey Ceejay, thanks for directing me here from mrhaandi's page, I found the answers to all my questions and more :) Tried SweetFX, and it looks pretty sweet :) Your LumaSharpen looks great and odd at the same time, I'm sure it just takes a while to get used to such a sharp image! Thanks again for your continued support, improvement and pursuit of better image quality!

6. NimbusTLD

NimbusTLD Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    I think / and * are a great option, they are probably the least used keys on my keyboard. The only 2 games in my memory that have used them are the original Deus Ex and WoW. I'm against using the pause button as some games actually pause the game, breaking any real-time comparisons.

7. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    I use * and / for MSI Afterburner's image and video capture functions respectively. Never had a problem with pause and screenshot because I would pause the game using esc, then press the pause button (which only toggles the filters) and then pressing esc again to get back ingame. That's how I do it in games that have an explicit pause function bound to the pause button.

8. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    You should try changing the sharp_strength setting in the settings file.
    There is no universal perfect setting. It depends on resolution and the game and your taste of course.
    I usually use between 0.5 and 1.5 , but for Trine 2 I set it to 0.2 because it's already a very detailed and sharp game.

You can also set a negative value if you want to blur the image , but I don't know why you would want to.

9. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Thanks

10. Vegtro

Vegtro Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 970 G1
    Just wondering CJ, how do I use SweetFX in conjunction with ENB (like for Skyrim, GTA4)? Do I only just rename the d3d9.dll file?

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    True.

Something happened with 304+ driver, looks like they rewrote it, its a lot better then any 300, 301 or 302 driver.

Actually i didnt notice any obvious blur at all and im very picky when it comes to blurring, lol I can see TrAA -4xSS blur xD

12. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    Yes you rename the d3d9.dll file and then edit your ENB config.

For example :
    1. Rename it to sweetfx_d3d9.dll
    2. Install the ENB series files into the same directory
    3. Edit enbseries.ini

The top section of enbseries.ini should then look like this:
    Code:
    [PROXY]
    EnableProxyLibrary=true
    InitProxyFunctions=true
    ProxyLibrary=sweetfx_d3d9.dll

13. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    The ENBseries website mentions that qindie-gl might be used to make ENBseries work with some OpenGL games.

It should work for other direct3d runtime mods (shader injectors) such as SweetFX too.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  14. NimbusTLD

NimbusTLD Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    I'm trying to use SweetFX with Dark Souls in conjunction with the DSfix resolution changer. As they both use a d3d9.dll, I tried the method mentioned above for ENB, adding the proxy code to DSfix.ini. This does not work.

Anyone know how to get them to work happily together?

15. Licaon

Licaon Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX660Ti-OC
    ENB contains a way to add a proxy DLL, since DSfix does not contain one it's useless to add some params to it's INI.

talk with the DSfix creator to add such a feature

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yeah, there's definitely some changes. Obvious especially on text. If only FRAPS would manage to get it in screenshots...

17. pipes

pipes Member Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4080 frostbite
    propblem on windows 8

good evening, I have a problem with fxaa tool on windows 8 and pro evolution soccer 2012, the game crash when I start it.
    Maybe its windows 8 and fxaa tools hg6.
    nobody have this problem?

18. mypc

mypc Guest

hey guys can you post fxaa with effect or smaa settings for darksiders 2 and screen shot how its looking that would be really helpful

19. NimbusTLD

NimbusTLD Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    On it :)

20. Caleb171

Caleb171 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 @1200/1600
    Hey CeeJay.dk , I am just loving the SweetFX injector. I've found a good balance of texture quality with smoother edges and minimal performance lost defining the SMAA_THRESHOLD to 0.20. I didn't tried other options, but the games I've tried look gorgeous, even some older titles: Assassins's Creed series, Batman series, Bioshock (not so smooth on edges), Dead Space series, DeuxEx series, Mass Effect series, Fear, Skyrim, The Witcher series...
    Thanks!