nVidia's FXAA mode (anti-aliasing)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TheHunter, Jul 20, 2011.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Well the one in the link from my old Post is for DX10/11(not sure about 11 though haven't tested it) only.

Dead Space and L4D are both DX9 games so you could use FXAA TOOL for those
    http://www.assembla.com/spaces/fxaa...r4zOracwqjQYw/download/b_VB5sj2yr4zOracwqjQYw

Which is a much more user friendly way to set FXAA and other things (if you want them, such as sharpening or bloom/tone mapping etc)
    How games look with FXAA though is dependent on the game. Some may require a little extra tweaking of the FXAA settings. (like games with low-res textures for example, which will be blurred just a bit too much. Luckily it's easy to change settings for DX9 and FXAA tool.)

The in-game AA is FXAA AFIK. So err, FXAA+more FXAA =kind of weird.

You can force regular AA in it IIRC.

2. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    I think it uses the injector made by somedude, though I'm not entirely sure.

You cannot use windowed mode to tweak, however you can ALT+TAB out, tweak and then ALT + TAB back in.
    Every time you do this the d3d9.dll will reset (it writes "redirecting device->Reset" in the log.log when you do this) and reload and recompile the shader.fx, so any changes to the settings or the code will apply when you do this.

3. CeeJay.dk

CeeJay.dk Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6870
    It's been a while since I last released a version of my LumaSharpen shader publicly, so here is version 1.2.5:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9942986/LumaSharpen.7z

Changes since the last version:
    *There are now 4 different sampling patterns you can choose from.
    Pattern 1 is a fast 7-tap gaussian.
    Pattern 2 is a regular 9-tap gaussian.
    Pattern 3 is a 17-tap gaussian.
    Pattern 4 is a 9-tap high pass filter.

I suggest using pattern 2.

*There is a limiter "sharp_clamp". that you can use to limit the maximum of sharpning any pixel recieves .. it's a good way to prevent or reduce haloing.

*I've reworked a lot of code and I now also use shader model 3 dynamic branching, so the now shader runs even faster.

4. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Nice to see you here ceejay :)

You can also look in my compare http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4049733&postcount=35 http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4038221&postcount=712 how Crysis FXAA looks and how much it blurs less then their initial internal r_postMSAA though but still jikes, though their new Shader approach is SMAA which isn't yet integrated :) see http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/ and beats Nvidias implementation in some ways :)

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012

5. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Thanks alot! :) hands down :cheers:

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    http://www.timothylottes.blogspot.pt/2012/03/unofficial-txaa-info.html

7. MrMicrochip

MrMicrochip Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 1070 Phoenix
  8. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Yeah, the only thing this Blu-ray example shows is how crappy Blu-rays are actually.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I would certainly compare games more with movies, then with the still picture.

And BR example... Blu-ray movies are still "better looking" then games, yet when looked at still images, sharpness is lacking.

10. MrMicrochip

MrMicrochip Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX 1070 Phoenix
    I would compare games to real life, because thats the look most of them are aiming for (or i would hope so, i hate all film grain etc effects that try to make games look like a low quality movies).
    But without very high resolution displays blurness is always better option than aliasing.

I think that biggest problem with FXAA isn't blurness, much bigger issue is the pixel crawling.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super

agree strongly with everything... well except partly with the underlined part :)
    great games can be made without reaching for realistic looks

I particularly hate when game goes for realistic looks and then fails at basics - namely COLORS

New driver FXAA works great in Stalker:CoP :banana:

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  12. Cru_N_cher

Cru_N_cher Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX8800GT OC
    Hi for everyone whose interested i suggest to look into this thread and what can be done when you combine FXAA, high resolution textures and different artistic approaches "style" :) different PP and so on :) some of these things really blow based on a not so advanced Engine :)

http://enbseries.enbdev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=17&start=2490 some of these renderings come out as they would have been raytraced not rasterized :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    man... that Dragon Warrior mod is S I C K

14. Bat_Zonko

Bat_Zonko Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 OC
    Nice. I incorporated this into the FXAA Injector setup that Violater put together using your guide back on page 17, and it is working great.

Running it in Mass Effect 3 and it does a great job without the halo effect around the contour/seams and edges.

Need to try this baby out in Skyrim.

BZ

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
  15. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    Can the green FXAA indicator finally be disabled in OpenGL games?

16. Licaon

Licaon Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX660Ti-OC
    FXAA now works in all apps OGL or D3D, get the latest NVInspector to control the indicator and such

17. AdamK47

AdamK47 Banned

GPU:
    Verite V1000 & Voodoo 4MB
    Yes, but can the green indicator be completely removed in OpenGL games? The problem before was that it could not, no matter if the indicator flag was disabled.

18. pxmm

pxmm Member

GPU:
    AMD 280X
    Using the 301.24 and trying to use the driver FXAA on Test Drive Unlimited 2 doesn't seem to work.

I checked and set the profile in both the control panel and nvidia inspector.

Turned fxaa indicator on, there's a little green square but the fxaa is definitely not working, jaggies everywhere.

Injecting SMAA works fine :bang:

19. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    use smaa = less blur

20. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    I've found Nvidia FXAA less blurry than SMAA in Skyrim and COD:MW2. Doesn't remove enough jaggies in Serious Sam 3 though. Need to test it in more games.