nVidia's FXAA mode (anti-aliasing)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by TheHunter, Jul 20, 2011.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    would be nice if this tool has a readme to explain how to use it. cause I download last night and started it, but it didnt do anything that i could see so i must of been missing something

I was talking about the tool (gui)

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  2. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
    SMAA 1.1 comes with a readme? unless you're talking the FXAA injector?

anyhow, heres the SMAA readme. and, IMO is better than FXAA. doesn't blur the image.

injectSMAA v1.1
    Description
    - adds "Subpixel Morphological Antialiasing" to an application
    - is based on "injectFXAA" (written by "some dude")
    - is supposed to work only with directx 9, directx 10, directx 11, x86 applications
    - may be incompatible with any other form of antialiasing
    More information at http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com/.
    SMAA is a very efficient GPU-based MLAA implementation, capable of handling subpixel features seamlessly, and featuring an advanced pattern detection & handling mechanism.
    http://www.iryoku.com/smaa/

Install
    If the game uses DirectX 9, put all files from the d3d9 directory into the directory containing the game executable.
    If the game uses DirectX 10/11, put all files from the d3d10 directory into the directory containing the game executable.

Uninstall
    Remove the files.

Notes
    You may need to run your applications as administrator (required to write the logfile).
    Do not use this tool while playing on anti cheat enabled servers (may be detected as a cheating measure)!
    Do not mix d3d9 and d3d10 the files.
    Install the latest DirectX runtime.
    A "log.log" file is created to log behaviour/ bugs. Look inside to get additional information.
    If the "log.log" file is not created then you use the wrong "*.dll" or you put it into the wrong directory.
    Try to put the files into different directories before saying it doesn't work.

Keys
    PAUSE : Enable/Disable FXAA
    PRINT SCREEN : Screenshot

Changelog
    v1.1
    -Fix: (d3d9) GTA4 AlphaTest issue
    -Fix: (d3d9) GTA4 DepthStencil issue
    v1.0
    -Add: SMAA

3. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    Actually its set to the Ultra preset, see this post on the SMAA blog.

Swartz hat gesagtā€¦ Just took a look into the dll a little while ago and found that that the preset being used is SMAA_PRESET_ULTRA.

For those wanting to edit the functions of the SMAA, go into SMAA.h with notepad or whatever and find SMAA_PRESET_ULTRA near the top of the file. Just change the values defined under it to experiment with it.

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i was talking about the (gui) tool enabling AA in games wasnt working so ment readme about that

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    in the one game i test smaa, I got a bigger hit to performance using smaa then i did with 8x AA built in the game. But SMAA definitely better then FXAA

6. Cyrosis

Cyrosis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD4000
    Either the 8X AA isn't working right, or the SMAA isn't working right, as the performance hit is quite minor under normal circumstances.

7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    game i tested as it all i got atm
    1080p High setting
    Requiem Online
    140 FPS No AA
    120 FPS 2xAA 4x and 8x
    91 FPS SMAA

And yes AA is working right in the game, even if use AA threw nvidia CP i have better performance with normal AA or MSAA from the drivers then and SMAA

I could be just the game As i know the game is poorly programed for a dx9 game

Just tested in the witcher

1080p highest setting

100 FPS No AA
    89 FPS 2x AA
    85 FPS 4x AA
    66 FPS SMAA

This is standing out side of kalkstien house I dont see much diffrence PQ wise between AAx2 or AAx4 vs SMAA but I get hit alot more loss in performance. Maybe it cause the gpu?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  8. DJSmak69

DJSmak69 New Member

GPU:
    MSI FX5950 Ultra (Buggered!)
    I'm getting 1-2fps less difference compared to in-game post AA in BF3, SMAA definitely looks better, less blur and better at 45deg angles. Combined with MSAA it looks sick :)

9. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6900XT
    It doesn't seem to work in WoW, i dont see no effect, using application-Controlled , and SMAA 1.1 inside WoW folder and ingame 1x means no AA.
    trying to click Pause and nothing happens.

FXAA is on 1 on Nvidia Inspector. 290.36

EDIT : Ha ok i managed to run it but still there are alot of things which doesn't AAed

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  10. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Do you need to have the FXAA injector to make SMAA work, as in; is it just a mod for the FXAA injector or will copying the files automatically make SMAA work?

How does it execute when the game launches?

11. 8fishes

8fishes New Member

GPU:
    EVGA

No
    It enables itself because it's written into the d3d dll file the game uses instead of the other local copy stored else where on your computer.

12. Psycho101

Psycho101 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 SLI @ 850/4100
    Try playing with the settings for various thresholds in the SMAA files. You might need to tune them to get good AA coverage on everything.

WoW is a pretty old game though, even with the new DX11 features, I bet you could use 8xMSAA and transparency supersampling with everything else prety much maxed (I'd have Shadows one to two notches from highest, the highest shadow setting totally kills performance in WoW). That would look way better than FXAA/SMAA, unless you want to run a combination of MSAA and SMAA, which would help to improve over all coverage and IQ.

13. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6900XT
    Where i change the settings for the SMAA files ??

14. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    It didn't work for me at all in any of the games I tried, Fraps and MSI afterburner were both off and it had absolutely no effect.

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Where and how did you place the files?

16. Burnt_Ram

Burnt_Ram Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
  17. MfA

MfA Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    FXAA 4.0 Will Have new Spatial-Only Algorithm

FXAA 4.0 is still a work in progress. No stills this time, and much of the prior shots would have changed by now. Updates as of this weekend,

(1.) FXAA 4.0 will have a new spatial only algorithm for those who cannot integrate with the temporal filtering. There will be multiple quality/perf levels. The spatial algorithm is part of the temporal algorithm. It contains no searching, supports dynamic output resolution, and works really well mixed with hardware filtering (like MSAA).

(2.) I've come up with a new aliasing detection filter, one that completely eliminates filtering from areas that have no aliasing. As prior this only depends on color input, uses same texture fetches as prior, but now it can be set to filter edges only, and avoid texture detail. This will be on sliders for developers to hand tune. Bottom line, no more loss of detail, as was a common complaint with FXAA 3.11, and no need for a depth based edge detection pass.

(3.) I'm very close to managing to extend both the quality and edge length of the 9-fetch spatial algorithm (same number of texture fetches as FXAA 3.11 Console) to almost match the default medium FXAA 3.11 PC results. Managed this via some very smart limiting of the filter results.

http://timothylottes.blogspot.com/2011/12/fxaa-40-will-have-new-spatial-only.html

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Ok but does that mean long wires, roof antennas and such will get proper AA?
    How about pixel crawling on the edges?

GJ on that filter :cheers:

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    SMAA has the same huge performance hits. the only FXAA so far I used that didnt have huge performance hits is the one implemented int GDSX for pcsx2.

I will post Screen shots with Vysnc on and off AAx4 vs FXAA.

Tool2.0 was used in its default form for FXAA, but for augment sake I could use 2.6 or the manual injectors and still have same out come. maybe its the 450gts that just cant coup with SMAA or FXAA but AA x4 give way better performance

FXAA
    http://i.imgur.com/poS4Z.jpg
    Fraps keeps taking the SS and showing 1 FPS, but it say 79 ingame, if anyone know how to else i can get SS showing the frame rate let me know. Frap also take like 2 seconds to take this SS where as there other SS i took where instant in comparisons

4x AA 4x AF
    http://i.imgur.com/t7HED.jpg

2x AA 4x AF
    http://i.imgur.com/JYecf.jpg

NO AA 4x AF
    http://i.imgur.com/CJZrH.jpg

im losing like a minimum of 20 FPS compared to 4x aa

20. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Suprim
    That is likely due to your GTS450 not having enough shader processing power to run Post Processing AA very quickly. FXAA & SMAA are both pixel shaders and with the GTS450 only having 192 shader processors that doesn't leave much for adding post processing filters like this.

And really these post processing shaders are really made for situations were regular AA can't be used or results in bad performance. For example on my system I can't run Battlefield 3 with MSAA, the performance tanks!! But I can run FXAA and still keep right around 60fps with VSync.