1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA Will Fully Implement Async Compute Via Driver Support, Oxide Confirms

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by (.)(.), Sep 5, 2015.

1. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070 Seahawk EK
    The way I see it I'd rather just stand by and watch all this unfold, I'm sure Nvidia's solution to Async will be just as elegant as AMD's and if not they will make it up in another area so ultimately the performance difference will be negligible but people love to create controversy where there is none, fact is there's hardly any DX12 capable applications out there atm and we've yet to see a card that offers full hardware support of DX12 from either camp, hell we've only just started using Windows 10, drivers will take time to mature but it's like some people expect things to just work over night.

2. cleverman

cleverman Banned

GPU:
    Its the same reason AMD cards are better at bitcoin or light coin mining,
    Its no different.
    Nothing nvid can do about this,
    If they want to emulate something let them but keep your eye on the latency,
    It will be pointless.
    But its fun to watch them try.

Next year they will bring out a new gpu design and we will all be happy but existing graphics cards are screwed.
    Let the battle continue because we all benefit.

3. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    I very much doubt an average buyer even knows anything about this stuff. It's not even mentioned in reviews, should they read one before buying a card. Many don't do even that. As overblown as this "scandal" looked among enthusiastics (not just those who buy the best cards but also those who simply keep themselves informed), an average Joe going to a store to buy a video card is blissfully ignorant of it, probably to their own benefit. It might have been good for AMD, for the time being, on paper, but in reality it won't change anything. AMD needs something far less transient and far more solid to turn the tide.

4. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Generally speaking, you're right about the difference in mobile and desktop gaming, but I played K.O.T.O.R. on my 10" tablet and I'll be damned if it didn't feel exactly like when I played it on my PC so many years ago.

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    How did you play it. Controller, onscreen?

6. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Onscreen. Really well implemented though.

7. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Just like I said weeks ago in one of the countless other halfly true shady information threads about a pre-beta game that uses unfinished drivers in a still developing api environment: WAIT THE F*CK, NOTHING'S FINAL YET.

And, to agree with denial too, he shows that actually if you take a step back and don't let yourself be dragged down to '34 vs 39 fps gpu manufacturer bashing' in any matter, his statements hold true.

Sorry, no butt kissing Denial :D Good percetion and reasonable arguments though.

8. shymi

shymi Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus R9 280
    I don't buy this - if they could've fixed it with a driver update, why in the beginning they bashed the devs about their code and later asked them to disable async computing? Now, a couple of weeks later, they tell us - hold on, we will fix this with a driver update...

9. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700 XT UV 1950~
    What's there not to buy really :eek: it wasn't working as intended before so devs got asked to disable it (did not see bashing). Nvidia is fixing things up to work properly in software vs AMD having it working in hardware.

And it seems Furies have some issues vs gcn 1.1 in async.

10. shymi

shymi Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus R9 280
    Well I don't buy, how the whole story progressed. The bashing part was about nVidia publicly accusing the devs for the performance(about incorrect implementation of MSAA, if my memory serves me right).
    About async on nVidia cards being implemented via software - that is a great news for a lot of people and honestly I'm going to be happy for them, because a lot of friends have nVidia cards and I personally told them to wait to see, how things are going to develop, before jumping on the red train, because of DX12.

11. Prefix

Prefix Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R7 260X 2GB
    Anyone who thinks software emulated queues for Async Compute is better than Hardware emulated or even counts software emulation as support is pretty much lying to themselves.

12. thatguy91

thatguy91 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 480 RS 4 GB
    Software emulated async shaders will be better than the hardware solution. You know, like software Physx being better than hardware Phsyx ;).

The difference with Physx is that the software version isn't very well coded purposefully. The software async driver will most likely be, however it still won't be as good.

13. SA SYS

SA SYS Active Member

GPU:
    GEFORCE GTX 1080 FE

Really ?! Are you sure ?! :3eyes:

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  14. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    You realise he was trying to be sarcastic? ;)

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Let's hope so becouse its pure nonsense.

16. fantaskarsef

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yes it is... and maybe I just got him wrong and he was serious, don't know.

17. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I was thinking that it would not be much good myself, but this very good post in another thread has made me a lot more enthusiastic about it being a software scheduler.

18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Idk, I must be crazy because I don't understand what the big deal about this is.

AMD's scheduler with hardware ASync support ties the 980Ti in both AoS and 3DMark. Why does Nvidia need to do anything again?

19. mjorgenson

mjorgenson Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW-RX 480
    Because when active a $450 AMD card matches a $650 Nvidia card.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    So what. It matches the Fury X too. The 980 does the same thing. The test isn't a GPU test, it's a scheduler test. That argument isn't relevant.