Nvidia Will Fix Downclocking or Throttling When Fans Hit 70 Percent

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Penal Stingray, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    Good News for GTX 680 and Up users this downclocking problem I notice while monitoring Precision OSD setting that fan speed to 70 Percent Manually the clock speed began to downlock even though the temperature is around 55c this was only introduce on the later drivers which is 314.07 and 314.14 beta and a fix is coming soon.

Manuel G

"We think we have discovered the change in between driver 304.07 and 304.09 that introduced this behavior. Still performing more testing. Stay tuned."

Link: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...cause-downclocking-with-314-09-and-314-14-/10

Im soo excited WeeEE! no more weird downclocking going on.

2. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    Odd, I've been using the v314.07 WHQL and v314.14 beta drivers and my GPUs both boost to 1,260+ MHz with the GPU clock offset of +150 MHz in demanding games (or when v-sync is disabled) and only drop by fixed increments when the temperature exceeds 70 degrees C.

I am also using a custom profile that means that even before my GPUs hit 65 C the fan is running at 80% (noise is not an issue for me as I have isolating feet on my PC case which sits on a soft carpet anyway). I have not seen the GPU downclock at over 70% myself and use the latest version of Afterburner (currently v3.0.0 beta 6) to monitor my GPU temperatures and clock speeds.

3. Penal Stingray

Penal Stingray Banned

GPU:
    GTX 680 Tri-Sli-S27A950
    not all of them are affected there are some 680's like 1 of my 680s would just throttle down occasionaly for no reason.

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    My card hits 1202 and 75 degrees and never goes any lower unless the game doesnt require it otherwiseit stays at 1202.

None of this throttling crap that the Titan has.

5. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    I've seen my card reach 75*C once while doing a bench, didn't throttle either.

6. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080
    Is this a bug with the v314.09 and v314.14 drivers and not the v314.07 WHQLs because I found this post here on the GeForce.com forums: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...0-cause-downclocking-with-314-09-and-314-14-/

I using the v314.07 drivers currently for Tomb Raider which might explain why I have not seen this issue. However, I do recall something weird happening with the v314.14 betas when I tested them and at one point I was wondering why my GPUs didn't seem to be boosting at all in Dead Island which ran at sub-45 fps with extremely stutter/lag and clocks of 1,006 Hz with 10-15% usage on both cards. I thought it was just a bad install as this doesn't happen with the v314.07 drivers but perhaps I was seeing this same bug mentioned by Penal Stingray?

7. SplashDown

SplashDown Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Thats a manuel fan bug not auto fan right? .... thats what I thought anyway, no probs here but not playing as demanding stuff as others.

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    1200 MHz here with Fan Speed fixed at 30%. Max 62C.

Using Arctic Accelero Twin Turbo 2.

9. ReTiCuLe

ReTiCuLe Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce Titan
    I also (had) down-clocking on my 680 GTX and when I put it in SLi as well. UN-Capping my FPS to Unlimited in BO2 and to 1000 in Planetside 2 seemed to resolve this for me. If I cap my FPS, the cards downclock themselves to default clock speeds and occasionally lower. I've tried this on 314.14, 314.07, 310.90 drivers and had the same issue with all three till I uncapped my fps in those games.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  10. ReTiCuLe

ReTiCuLe Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce Titan
    ---Update---

314.14 Beta Just installed them and I can confirm after 15minutes gameplay in Planetside 2, I did not downclock with my 680's in SLi or as Single GPU mode. I don't know if this applys to the titan. I'd hope so.

All from a stupid FPS cap above my monitor's hz of 120 :( if I capped my FPS in any game I tried to 120, 122 the problem would appear till uncapping to 1000fps.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013

11. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    This is normal behavior in some cases. Try the option "prefer maximum performance" in control panel. Or maybe use D3D injection technique to limit FPS instead of the driver's frame rate target feature.

ROFL
    Well played mods, well played :infinity:

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  12. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    ManuelG updated his response on the geforce forums.
    It seem its related with the reading of the power, rather than a bug with Throttling itself.
    Here is a little explanation from manuelG

----

The power readout could, for example, show 90% when in fact you are using 100% of the available power. It’s likely that your card is boosting clocks up until it hits the power limit but the reporting error is causing the power readout to show a number below 100%.

----

Conclusion,(from what I understand) your card will still throttle with the fixed drivers but you will actually see a power readout of 100% instead of lower . So your card is throttling for the good reason.

13. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    There's a good reason for throttling? :bang:

14. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    yes.
    Protect the card from a too heavy overclocking that could potentially damage the card. Any good overclock-er know that's.

Like Intel CPU will throttle if they reach 100 or 105c depending of the cpu to protect it-self.

15. rewt

rewt Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yes
    LOL. Any good overclock-er doesn't need/want the hardware to throttle itself. This must be why so many people are complaining about the issue.

16. Wagnard

Wagnard Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Geforce GTX 1080
    True. My answer is still valid tho. Even tho good overclock-er don't need it, they know why a throttle is used.

Good overclock-er know that when you overclock with the safety off, you accept that you are probably reducing the life of the component you overclock.

17. GokunDesu

GokunDesu Member

GPU:
    GTX 680
    I think i have this problem too(?)
    In any game i use adaptive vsync i always get constant fps "throttling" every few seconds/minutes, and if i turn off adaptive vsync i can **** out fps. This didn't happen with drivers before.

Example (current games i play):
    Far Cry 3: w/ 40-65fps w/o 70-90fps
    Deus Ex HR: w/ 40-65fps w/o 100-200fps
    Tomb Raider 2013: w/ 40-65fps w/o 70-100fps
    Dishonored: w/ 40-65fps w/o 100-200fps

18. GokunDesu

GokunDesu Member

GPU:
    GTX 680
    So.. When will this be fixed? After last driver it happens even without vsync on..
    It's completely stupid to be playing low end games like counter strike and go from 200+ fps to 20~40fps for a few seconds..

19. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    nvidia seriously need to sort this issue out asap,
    before this there was the vsync stutter and now this the 6 series owners has had it pretty rough