Nvidia: We Expected More from the Radeon HD 7900 Series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    Scalability is all about performance, just look at the charts. Whe are not talking rebranding here, yust new generations. Look at the text he, being a bit sarcastic, posted also.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  2. ATR

ATR Member Guru

GPU:
    amd 7850 CF
    not referring to re-branding. just refreshing.

re branding is using the same chip essentially from a previous generation and using it at a lower segment in the new like.

eg - the 5770 chip was the mid range of the 5000 series - was reused as the 6770 as the lower segment of the 6000 series (AS the 6800 series became the new mid range)

refresh is where they acctually redo the chip improving it using the same architecture. - like the 580 was a refresh of the 480 just enabling an extra core. Basically perfecting the architecture to get more performance.

I agree that scalability is about performance - but it isn't the 2:1 that the original poster was using (due to incorrect comparrisons).

the scalability of the generations for nvidia and amd are about 1.7:1 for Nvidia and 1.5:1 for AMD but thats to be expected due to nvidia aiming to have higher performance cards as oposed to amd's who goes for a balance of price vs performance.

3. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Blablabla. The topical point is that AMD added 1/3 more SP's and the GPU just scales that way.

4. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    Not to sound trollish, but Nvidia did/said these sorts of things when Fermi was supposed to come out as well. It came late, hot, and rather large.

5. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well nVidia really hadn't skimped on the cores, more than doubled them, overshot RV800 by a billion trannies and that's why Fermi ended up being such a mess. They had to go over every transistor to address the massive thermal leakage, and then ended up giving the actual intended product a different name. Not something I'd qualify as a refresh, nor is going from VLIW5 to VLIW4 for that matter.

6. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Fermi was pretty much a constant work in progress though, and everyone knew it was broken way before the 5870 appeared.

If Kepler had the same issues we would of heard something by now, and Nvidia won't make the same mistakes twice as Fermi must of cost them a fortune.

7. S†v0r

S†v0r Banned

GPU:
    570GTX 1.3Gb @900/2200mhz
    Imo its just that, we don't hear anything and they postponed it so many times.

And the fact they used the same approach like with GF104/114 is nothing good anyway..Driver issue upon driver issue, hope im wrong though, but i won't hold my breath.

GF100/110 is stabler with less issues then both GF104+114 together.. I have no doubt about Fermi successor GK100/110 to be the same with better driver support.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  8. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    About the marketing chills uncovered by Chiphell, I don´t know if this is true or not but I trust Charlie´s rumours more than the rumours from Chiphell.

Everyone knows Charlie is a bit of an idiot and hates Nvidia but is very well informed, being the first in the web to give some news that others only know some time after. For example he was the first to say the problems with Fermi and the delays with Kepler. He´s even a source for alot of other sites.

So I give him some credibility unless this is one of his tricks to catch tech sites that use his material without asking or quoting him. Or maybe this was the work of some crazy hacker, like someone sugested on SA:roll:

9. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well if Charlie drives by in a slightly outdated Ferrari we'll know what the deal is lol.

10. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    "Everyone" didn't know it was broken before its release, Charlie reported it and 90% of the people didn't believe him. With that said, I highly doubt the problems of Fermi to resurface in Kepler, but this sort of marking talk from Nvidia is nothing new. Kepler could be awesome to complete suck and you would read the same types of things. Marketing is trying to prevent people from buying 7900 series cards in order to buy them time until their product is ready for the market.

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    GPU chip is not a wooden plank, so you can

IT IS BROKEN

or

IT'S NOT BROKEN

Particularly if when rearranged a bit sells in billions of $

Pretty much anything can be done better,
    but following that logic it can be argued that the Sandy Bridge is broken.

12. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    'Well there's this piece of the chip that's like just this huge sheet of metal...' I think that's how the explanation what went wrong with Fermi started...iirc

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    There was a video somewhere where Nvidia's Jen-Hsun talks about the reasons Fermi was late.

Something about fibre and parasitic currents between chip and RAM.
    And how the teams failed to predict it, because no one had the clear oversight of he project.

THAT was really broken. GF100 from the user point of view had a huge power draw and thats about it.

14. killer_939

killer_939 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    Waiting for geforce 6 series.. Haven't i done that before? Will be interesting to see nVidia's final product.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I think more people believed him than let on, especially as time went on and the delay got longer and longer.

I don't really consider this much in the way of marketing talk, not like it was official, as far as i know it was just a reply to a question.

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    http://news.techeye.net/chips/nvidias-kepler-suffers-wobbly-perturbations#ixzz1l53IeyWT

17. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I think NVIDIA should have released the product first before coming out and saying this. It's really arrogant of them to say this when the market has no time to verify this. As much as I know NVIDIA can deliver, what if it flopped? Companies are known to drum up their performance against the competition a lot and may end up doing the opposite.

If indeed they're right, then rock on, I might get an NVIDIA card for my next card. If not, then this might be embarrassing. AMD already did the same with Bulldozer, let's hope NVIDIA doesn't repeat the same mistake.

deltatux

18. Zboe

Zboe Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    I don't believe this for a second.

I guess if you believe Nvidia don't know who they sell video cards to this could be an issue but I am willing to think Nvidia knows who are buying video cards and for what purpose.

The reviews are good because the product does what it says it will do on the box and apparently at prices people will tolerate. It's pretty simple really. To think Nvidia needs help figuring that out seems absurd to me.

19. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Big words, nvidia. But it doesn't mean anything if nvidia can't come out with any compitition, so 3 months or 6 months nvidia??

20. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Nvidia guy: "So what? Great performance, yes, we'll have that too with kepler"

AMD guy: "Yeah, sure. Now look at this power consumption chart"

Nvidia guy: "Holy shi..."

:p