Nvidia: We Expected More from the Radeon HD 7900 Series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm not flaming, i'm just asking you to stop wording your posts like an angry gloating child, even if you don't mean it you have to realise it just annoys people and causes arguments in threads.

2. Mikedogg

Mikedogg Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 4650M 1GB
    ^Enough of the flaming and trolling ah. Keep it on topic.

3. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Ahem, I've given out one infraction already. If anyone wants to keep this up, I might have to give out more.

4. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Well to bring it back on topic a little and one of my longer posts. I don't expect more from the 7970 now. I don't expect drivers to improve performance significantly (15-20%) either. Performance in non-dx11 titles is already following the slightly better than 4:3 SP ratio. All random gains over 40% over the 6970 are gained through DX11 enhancements (well...fixes and depending on the game's dx11 settings) and improved memory bandwidth at high resolutions. Sure, the 7970 is 99% faster than a 5870 in Crysis 2, but come on. As a rule, nVidia (AMD too actually) like to nearly double their performance with each new architecture, and now AMD are a mere ~20-30% ahead of a fully working Fermi. My guess: nVidia expected at least 50% more SP's over the 6970. Example without DX11 benefits:

[​IMG]

I like how this scales. Notice the near 2:1 ratio between the 580 and 285. If you add 50% to the 6970 result you almost get 60 fps, the holy grail of old cows.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

5. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Edit: it's ok...soz

6. Rahmat Sofyan

Rahmat Sofyan New Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5870
    "Nvidia: We Expected More from the Radeon HD 7900 Series"... / "Honestly, we expected more from our competitor’s new architecture,"

from what I've read, this guy said "new architecture" not hd 7970???confused..nothing clear statement...

I hope nVidia clarify this, it will be a big joke if not true, like "nvidia top secret last couple years"...

quote from my friend about this : "That's what I normally say when I lose :)"...

7. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Let's atleast have a card on the table before making statements, Nvidia. looks like they are going to be late to the party on this one and by the time kepler does arrive I wouldn't surprised if AMD already have a refresh ready, they definately have the headroom.

All in all, the sooner kepler is out the sooner we can start seeing more competitive prices.

8. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    A couple of beers go to person who remembers when nvidia pr said this last.
    What card was afterwards launched by nv?

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    480?

10. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Way nope vet.... anyone?

11. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
  12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Close

8800 G-T-X

13. Redemption80

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well, it feels similar to back then, but in reverse with mid-range first, then the big card later.
    Could be wishful thinking by me though.

The 8800GT was the card that brought me back to Nvidia after 6 years of ATI cards, as i was looking at the HD 2900 XT due to the 8800GTX being far too expensive and also not really wanting to leave ATI, but the 2900 wasn't cheap either.
    Then the 8800GT arrived with the same performance as the 2900 if not better, but at half the price.
    Instant buy, and not switched back since then.

14. orion24

orion24 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    2 speculations for 7970 price being high:

1) Because otherwise demand would severely exceed supply at this time (and indirectly increase the price anyway)

2) Because of profitability. They release the mainstream part first (that outperforms the previous high end due to the manufacturing process gap), sell it at a high end price. Then, by the end of the year, they release the high-end so that enthusiasts upgrade one more time. NVIDIA might do the same.

15. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Yeah i know what you mean the overall picture is that of the 8800gt g92era
    Its sorta like dasia vue all over again

but thats when they said it last that was reported i remember like yesterday
    refreash xtx19w/extx was launched in septberish then nv said yatta yatta yatta thats all you bitches got or some crap,one month later g80 was out.

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I thought nvidia hyped up all or most of there cards claiming its better than the opposition with every new release,i said the 480 cause they bigged it up massive and it wasnt all the great considering the hype,well it was good,just people expected more.

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    nah they did not claim crap about the 10 month old 5870 on that launch nv were behind.
    was sorta like this time 1Q after amd

18. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  19. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    The only thing missing in this press release is Jen-Hsun showing a wooden videocard.

These kind of press releases do reach their goal, people who are commited to one brand will hold of buying the, at present, better card from the competition.

20. Zboe

Zboe Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970
    Yeah, another shady Chinese site yet again makes claims but this time against Nvidia...people (paid shills allegedly) supposedly got banned, etc...

Sounds like a mess. They say every lie has at least some truth to it though and over the years I have (even in my personal life) seen enough to come to the same conclusion.

Until Nvidia releases anything best bet is to grab some popcorn and enjoy the show.