1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia: We Expected More from the Radeon HD 7900 Series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 25, 2012.

1. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    figure they would cheap out on the vram as usual. that looks like a killer lineup no doubt. mid range 580 performance for $319. even with 2gb of vram 45% faster that a 7970 for a $100 more. let the price wars begin. the dual gpu card at $999 haha pass

2. Krogtheclown

Krogtheclown Master Guru

GPU:
    FuryXfire 3440x14freesync
    From the age of your cards I would say your in need of some catchup. AMD has been in the lead for the last 2 years and Nvidia has done a good job of catching up each time. However if you throw in price performance AMD is clearly the leader.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I'll agree that AMD offers better price for the performance, but in terms of being beneficial for them as a company, it has not. They just recently laid off key people behind their GPU engineering team. One of them being Carrell Killebrew, the very man who turned the 2900XT into a success with the R770 series.

Their GPU division hasn't posted a profit since they bought it and based on current trends won't even finish paying off the debt they incurred from the purchase for another 5-10 years. They need to change their strategy and they need to do it quickly. The reason why you see their latest GPU's being so costly is because they need to pick up any shred of profit while they can.

I want to see AMD do well, but it's purchase of ATI was a terrible decision.

4. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix

Where did i say it was ok to say the 7970 is a great card because it beats a 580 ?

I said it's normal to expect the new nvidia flagship to beat the current ati card flagship since this card will probably be around 4-5 months old when the next nvidia flag ship will be released.

If the next nvidia flagship card can't beat a 7970 by at least 10-15% then i wont be impressed at all and nither should you.

7970 and 7950 are greats cards specially the 7950. Problem is the price. If the 7950 would be priced like the 5850 was it would be a killer card.

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    There old yes but 2x 295's in sli outperform 90%(actually is probably 100%) of ALL single GPUS on the market today,why they hell would i want to upgrade to a single gpu that has dx11(fad) and less performance than what i have now?Ill upgrade when the right hardware becomes available,atm the hardware out atm is not a good enough upgrade for me considering all the money i will spend and until this changes i will be sticking with my old but great performing 295's.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. Zboe

Zboe Master Guru

GPU:
    GALAX GTX 970

The interesting part is, with the GPU division losing money consistently (we'll need to see Q1 results to be sure but don't hold your breath) and with AMD "changing direction" I don't see them being the same company they are now in 5 years if that. I fully expect that this is the GPU guys "last chance" at saving their asses and that if the 7000 series doesn't turn profit they will be sold off. Or barring that something drastic is going to happen anyway. No company in history has kept bad investments around for long and lives to tell the tale. Unless of course they got a Government bailout but I digress.

Put it this way, Ford motor bought Jaguar, Land Rover, Aston Martin, and Volvo back in the late 1990s. In 1999 they created PAG (Premier Automotive Group) and they never made a penny from it all. From 2006 to 2010 Ford sold all those companies off because it was better to take the loss then try and do something with them. Ford still got engineers and designs from said companies and continues to benefit from that now.

AMD could do the same thing, they want the GPU guys for their APUs but that doesn't necessarily mean they need to hang onto the entire division to get what they need.

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Late Q3 for 680 ?

http://semiaccurate.com/2012/02/07/gk110-tapes-out-at-last/

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    Don't know what to make of it (probably nothing), but it did make me smile.

9. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    And nVidia are in trouble because of this? Oh right, they've still got that GK104 mid end chip that's purportedly already as fast as AMD's extortionately priced high end, and that one's out when? Next month?

10. kitch9

kitch9 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    The latest rumor is Nvidia's chip that's coming out in Feb will struggle to compete against Pitcairn, never mind Tahiti.

Their high end stuff not until the end of the year, so it's not looking good for NV.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That exact same rumour did say it would be far faster than a 7970 in some games, but could end up losing to Pitcairn in others.

Doesn't mean much though, if you hand pick reviews and games you can find examples of the 7970 losing to a 580, and not being much faster than a 570.