1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia: We Expected More from the Radeon HD 7900 Series

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jan 25, 2012.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    no i said both were, s h i t, thats a more advanced version of 'crap' :) but yeah they are also expensive. especially now, where countries go bankrupt and the whole world suffers from it in one way or the other ;(

2. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    well 99% of the games released are released broken in one way or the other.
    i dont give a damn about texture packs or DX11 (which i believe is overrated).
    i just want working games :puke2:
    skyrim brilliant game, but when you see how they released it, its just pathetic imo.

3. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Yep, and it's for PC only.

And how about releases? We get games later than console-fags. And them are coded very bad. Like Skyrim, which was fixed in 3 months with 4-5 patches. :bang:
    And now, bethesda will release that pack for PC fans :puke2:
    Who cares, we had it in 4K for 2 months.
    And that guy(author) made 3 versions of that texture pack :nerd::wanker:
    Well, if it will be with DX11 Upgrade, it will be as bonus. If not... :puke2:

4. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Come on GTX680! Im in need for a upgrade ...:banana:

Tho i hope Nvidia's board partners follow things quickly up with custom pcb's and cooling solution's.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    DX11 is still very much a gimmick to get people to pay a fortune for a new GPU though.
    It’s not much more than 2 years old, so it’s not been out long, which is why at the moment we are all nothing more than the beta testers for it.

We are already using most of the GPU hardware to run the DX9 ports, and every game/benchmark that gets close to using all of the DX11 features ends up unplayable for 95% of PC gamer’s anyway.

Things like 3D Mark11 or the Good Samaritan Unreal demo need at least 3x580 to run at a semi-decent resolution and/or framerate, which is a silly amount of hardware/money needed, and they are the only things that come close to looking next gen.

At the end of the day I don’t think many PC gamer’s care about DX11 anyway, last years best selling game was a DX9 game, and this year best seller is also likely to be a DX9 only game.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yeah i have a seller for my rig that i have now,when these keplars come out(680) if there any good ill be picking up 2 of them and banging under custom water blocks with an Rx 360 rad assigned to each card which will allow so massive overclocks for 24/7 use hopefully:)

7. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    360 for each card ? what case are you buying ? or are they external ?

8. Fusion_XT

Fusion_XT Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 X 2139/5400
    Somewhat true,

If DX11 reveals a new graphical improvement in lets say game ''X'' wich is a game i really like, i want to play it at its fullest. But because most games are ports or sadly coded you really need the raw power to run those games at a decent framerate.

For me i wanna play every game at its max @ 5760x1080 (Nvidia Surround) if 3D is supported the better...
    So for me the new cards are gonna be expensive but judging by the specs (3GB ram etc) i will finally be playing BF3 with surround and 3d! HOOHAA ! :banana:

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
  10. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Some games can show epic IQ: BF3, Crysis 2 in DX11.
    But the real DX11 is only in benchmsrks.:wanker: Unigine and 3DMark 11.
    So you are right, now, we are losers with DX11 cards, but can't play in decent DX11 games for 3 years. Next year will be new API form Microsoft and Khronos. New cards. No games.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    It's all about cost. Your average game is going to generate most of it's revenue through console sales. Consoles don't support DX11, so the developer is going to need DX9, DX11 is going to be an option and is going to cost more money. Unless they are selling it as a marketing point, as you said, they have no real reason to implement it.

Once Xbox 720 or whatever comes out and is DX11.x compatible, all the developers will stop DX9 games. DX11 from a developers point of view is much easier to develop on and allows for way greater consistency across multiple devices as the implementation of the DX11 standard is way more strict then 9.

The one thing I don't think you're going to see though is greatly enhanced graphics. While DX11 is more efficient you still run into the plateau performance problem I've talked about before. In the past, going from 500 Polygon character models to 1 million had a pretty huge effect graphically. Same with more complex shaders and such. But now going from 1 million to 1 billion is less drastic yet requires way more performance in order to achieve a decent framerate. Without a switch to a new graphics paradigm such as raytracing, I don't think we're going to get much better looking games - regardless to whether the consoles are holding the software back. It simply costs way to much in terms of performance and money for artists to create ultra-realistic worlds. They need the renderer to be capable of automating that realism throughout the entire world, which is what ray tracing does - it renders on a global scale rather then locally.

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Thats one of the reasons why i never bought a dx11 card,like i said many times before dx11 is just a fad atm

13. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070FE
    Cool it down guys!

14. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    How is 2x295 in BF3? 1080p?
    BTW, BF3 in DX11 compared DX10 has +30% fps :eyebrows:

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Denial, surely many console developers, well Xbox ones, will switch to DX11 this year as that will be when they get the hardware.
    The console will need games on launch day so these will have to be started now if they are to appear at the end of 2013.

One thing I was thinking about is how important resolution and framerate is alone in needing so much GPU power on PC games.

Bored and sleep deprived at work, so anyone feel free to laugh at this, but was thinking about Alan Wake which on the 360 is 960x540 and 30fps which works out at about 15,552,000 pixels per second.
    On the PC at 1920x1080 and 60fps that is 124,416,000 pixels per second, 8 times more, and that is straight port, and DX9 only.
    No DX11, no high amounts of AF or AA, or high res textures, and clearly 19x12 or 25x16 will increase that even further, and Eyefinity/Surround will be a huge amount more.

373,248,000 pixels a second for 5760x1080 at 60fps, 24 times more than the 360 version.

16. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RX 480 Nitro 4GB
    Great point mate. Many peeps dont think about that kinda stuff. Just look at the COD games on pc vs console. Black Ops on my pc @ 1080p looks really a hell alot of better then it does on my ps3 @ 1080p. Much better AF filtering and ofcourse AA.

Honestly I dont really care if most games are ports as long as we get the game and they run great. Im ok with just using the dx11 api just so that it runs better and gives most games AA if needed. Just in my opinion games always felt just a bit smoother in dx10/11 then dx9. Things were just a bit cleaner looking as well.

17. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    its funny because the only thing that actually matters is how much you're willing and able to dish out and which card satisfies your wallet in proportion to performance.

18. YWAGMOTH

YWAGMOTH Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 G1 Gaming
    If this price from nvidia confirms

Nvidia: "We Expected More from the Radeon HD 7900 Series"

And i say: "we Expected less price from your card, much less"

19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    We'll yeah, I'm more of talking about up to this point. The reason why we haven't seen adoption of the new API's is because there is no ROI on them. Unless of course your marketing the game behind it, like BF3 or Crysis or whatever.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    In BF3 i get constant 60fps on high settings with 2x Anti Aliasing,you only have 1x5970,my 295's trounce your 5970 for performance,i get more FPS in BF3 than you do let me put it that way.Dont *talk the talk*....*walk the walk* big mouth and get your vantage score up and ill show you how inferior your dx 11 gpu is to these old crappy 295s!
    Dx11...meh what a waste of money and broken promises,i wouldnt even think of buying a dx11 gpu until keplar and even then it aint gonna be used hardly!

Cards today are all about Epeen tbh,they aint used except for couple of games.

Edit...I dont game at 1080p,i was gaming at 1080p in 2008,in 2012 i game at 1440p:finger2:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012